Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How to lock the bloody car - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

How to lock the bloody car

Bought a 430 Cup few months ago.

I used to lock and unlock it easily the first few weeks. Now I'm just leaving it unlocked as everytime I try to lock it, it will beep twice and then start honking like crazy every minute or so. 

What's the trick ? I don't have the manual with me.

Thanks in advance.

It is likely to be your front access panel needing adjustment; my car is currently in for the same issue and as soon as I mentioned this behaviour, they knew it was this.

Do you only notice this behaviour when the car is parked in the sun?

In the interim (if it is indeed this issue and not something more simple such as an open door/boot/access panel as per Bibs' reply below), you can lock the car manually (i.e. inserting the key into the locks without arming the alarm).

Edited by jmcvaughn
  • Thanks 1

Thanks. It does this religiously anytime I try to lock it.

Also, I think I noticed most times the car self locks. I now always leave it unlocked, but I think most times I find it locked a few hours later or the day after. Is that possible ?

Edited by barabba

Sounds a bit odd, I don't believe anything other than the immobiliser re-arming after 30 seconds happens on the car, I've not known one to relock. 

Other cars do this if you unlock and don't open the doors withing a short period of time, but not an Exige in my experience.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Was at a dealer a couple of weeks ago he had a new exige that had just been registered and the alarm kept going off, even though the front hatch seemed to shut, but it was the car still thinking it was open.

4 hours ago, Bibs said:

Sounds a bit odd, I don't believe anything other than the immobiliser re-arming after 30 seconds happens on the car, I've not known one to relock. 

Other cars do this if you unlock and don't open the doors withing a short period of time, but not an Exige in my experience.

Unless they've changed the locking system at some point during the lifecycle, the car will re-lock itself only if you unlock the car without then opening any doors/panels (at least, that's how it is on mine and I don't think there's any key fob configurability here!).

6 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Was at a dealer a couple of weeks ago he had a new exige that had just been registered and the alarm kept going off, even though the front hatch seemed to shut, but it was the car still thinking it was open.

I have never even tried to open the front hatch. I suppose I'll need to tell the dealer when it will be time for the yearly service. 

Sorry.. been trying to open the front latch for a while with no success. I see there's a sort of black lever...is that the lever you are referring to ? Do I just need to push it in ? Is there a picture of it anywhere ? Sorry if it sounds a bit stupid. Will be driving to Milan tonight for dinner and not to happy to leave it unlocked for hours while it's parked somewhere 😕 

@barabba I had the same problem at the start. You might want to check the plastic knob align to the sensor too.

Underneath the front bonnet, there's a small plastic circle. Make sure that is align to the sensor when you close the carbon bonnet, as mine came off so the alarm would always go off too.

So I somehow removed the front latch and put it back again. Then as I was on the motorway, I noticed it was flapping, so I stopped and secured it properly. After that, I can again lock the car using the remote.

Was my first proper motorway trip on the Exige, approx 300km each way. Was really really hard not to drive below 150km/h the whole time... the car just invites you to push and push... need to be careful else my driving license will disappear very quickly...

Thanks again for your help, that was super helpful.

• Like 2