Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A couple of dumb questions - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A couple of dumb questions

TpupNomad

• Gold FFM

So I finally got my 85 Turbo back and runs ok; but please let me know if this oil reading (at idle) and temp seem right.  In my last 85, which I purchased new, the temp gauge rarely went past 90.  I do live in Florida, it was 86F (30C) today, I was in line for gas, and the AC was on (fans work).

Wondering if you guys thing this is ok?

Thanks in advance!

Roy

IMG_2097.jpeg

IMG_2098.jpeg

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'd say both are within spec given the accuracy or otherwise of the gauges and your own particular weather conditions/temperatures.

Do you know what viscosity of the oil you're using? 

• Like 2

The TEMP gauge is where the fans normally start to run, especially with the A/C on.  . The reading should '''slowly''' drop once the fans are running.

A/C engagement 'pre-heats' the air to the radiator, so the higher reading is normal. (Be glad you don't have a V8!)

Keep an eye on the coolant in the header tank RR side of engine bay. Should be an inch below the neck (cold). Any cooling system work can create air pockets that need to be purged.

A nice 'spirited run' with some higher RPMs helps purge the air faster! 😇

Oil viscosity and oil pump health determine the hot-idle oil pressure.  As stated, again this is OK. (It ain't ZERO 🥶 )

The original 20W-50 weight mineral oil has more pressure at idle than a synthetic 15W-50 or 10W-60. but the synth resists oil 'coking' at the turbo, after shutdown.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Agree, oil pressure is within spec when fully warm. Mine is exactly the same at idle when fully warmed up in a very similar climate environment than yours Roy. Coolant temp possibly a bit on the higher side but not alarmingly so given the accuracy of the bimetallic 10V voltage regulator that drives it. That voltage regulator needs to sit in a correct orientation (there’s an arrow up indicator on it) and if not set so, will be affected by gravity, believe it or not. If you want more accurate, reliable coolant temps (and fuel indication), swop the old 10V bimetallic regulator for an electronic version that you can find on eBay for a few $. It’s a good upgrade in my view. 

Ad initium

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the feedback!  Don't know what oil is in the car but I'll replace is soon.  

Thanks for the suggestions on coolant temp as well.  I'll check that out!

• Like 1

Instagram: @tpupnomad

1980 Lotus Esprit S2

1985 Lotus Turbo Esprit

Some other stuff  🤠