Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Clock stopped - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Clock stopped

Go to solution Solved by shaunw,

Has anyone managed to dismantle, repair and reassemble the analogue clock on their S4 / GT3 / V8?

Mine has a fault where the minute hand won't go past the little spring for the rod that sets the time. I thought while I have the dash pod off I'd replace it.... until I saw the price!

Plan b was to send it off for repair, so far the cheapest quote is £90 plus postage. Yikes! 

Shaun

20221009_185254.jpg

Edited by shaunw
Spelling

At least, you won't get any older now that TIME has STOPPED. 🤪

I'm no expert on those clocks (our '88 has the French, digital LCD one), but I DID fix my wife's cuckoo clock by taking off the back and spraying Brakleen inside it...

Good luck.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

If you can live with orange clock hands, you can find the VDO clock in Vision (backlit) for $50 and up

https://www.amazon.com/VDO-370-155-Vision-Clock-2-1/dp/B019XF53SQ

VW /Porsche / Audi and others used the Cockpit (more tick marks) series for a time in the eighties, you might find one used at a reasonable price.The illumination is edgelit on these, but the face doesn't match up as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125555971350?hash=item1d3bb81516:g:N1sAAOSwafNjNjbK&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoCWh%2F7UJlA%2FatzJ%2Fjybhy%2B%2FNJbxRG%2FBYYbJejZy1qXJiHM613mTHok4acQsxlQI0S8HbQ6GKm8P1o4coufFZyWdfflVkS9oW40ZlIurt2JiDQtf%2BEfBJ3npDjO1T1IwSNJTm162u%2FNwRCJhQZgwpWqMxQIWurYLVf%2FmVY%2FR1nbXd9SYwYVX8a1ccNCCJVC3LAUcUKYq9ByuEMUb%2Bhih7YP0%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR7j2ua34YA

But if it's indeed just a mechanical issue, and you can't break it more than it's already broke, you might carefully pry the back part of the bezel open enough to slip the bezel and glass way from the face of the clock and see if you can address the interference. Open the crimp just enough to get it off with out dinging the front of the bezel, and remember not to ding the front with pliers when you crimp it back on.

And just to complicate things, are you sure you want the time rather than some other information like temperature or pressure or AFR or some other gauge that might fit in the same hole?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, snowrx said:

I would of nipped off half a mil off of the minute hand, but glad you could fix it!

I thought of doing that but doubted I'd be able to execute it in a fashion that wouldn't notice. My mod is hidden behind the black bezel and you'd never know anything had been tampered with. To me it was the better solution.

4 hours ago, fjmuurling said:

Picture? (Says more than 1000 words) 😉

Not much point as it looks identical to the pic at the top 😄