Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
350 vs 380 vs 410 - V6 Exige Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

350 vs 380 vs 410

Mickle

@GoldenGun Looks like a lovely car, I’ve just been to Silverstone to see the Blue 380 I definitely prefer the Exige in a louder colour I think. Thanks for the message though as I do like the idea of a car like this that has been looked after and loved by forum members. 

I’ve contacted Lotus to get some clarity on my Emira delivery but I’m more leaning towards the Exige now. At least there is some certainty there. 

9 minutes ago, Wake said:

@GoldenGun Looks like a lovely car, I’ve just been to Silverstone to see the Blue 380 I definitely prefer the Exige in a louder colour I think. Thanks for the message though as I do like the idea of a car like this that has been looked after and loved by forum members. 

I’ve contacted Lotus to get some clarity on my Emira delivery but I’m more leaning towards the Exige now. At least there is some certainty there. 

No problem and I totally understand the desire for a more shouty colour !  Sadly I wasn’t cool enough to carry it off so preferred the stealthiness of the grey. 

I have an Emira on order too, but definitely think the Exige is a totally different proposition.  Easily the best driver’s car I’ve ever had.  And I suspect nothing will really compete with it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jcx said:

I think Sky Blue is epic in the sunshine!  Really Pretty. 

Also, why not keep the Emira on order and decide much later while snapping=up an Exige in the near-term?

I think that’s what I will end up doing potentially putting it on hold until a later variant Emira, which given Lotus track record of special editions or variants with more power I'm sure will be announced before they finish delivering the “First” Editions. 

I’m not necessarily committed to selling and lost out on the other car I was bidding on! 

Just had 3-way Nitrons fitted and can’t wait to try the car with the new suspension.   I’ve tried to keep the mods as respectful as the original enhancements that @MrP_ had carried out!

• Like 1

interesting that some are considering an exige instead of an emira. To me they are completely different cars.

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

They are different Pete, you are right.  But the motivation for buying a Lotus Exige or Lotus Emira may be the same - driver thrills, enjoyment.  And on that score i suspect there is far more in common between the two.

12 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Hi. I found myself in the same situation a few months back & decided to leave the Emira wait & decided, with ease, to buy a shouty 380 Sport from Lotus Silverstone. I haven’t looked back since. The more I drive it, the more I love it! 🏎️🚀🧡

CB8831EB-6FAC-45F8-AD0E-6EA648E49E2A.jpeg

34DF9A9F-326D-4AD6-B225-5F3D15A69DB4.jpeg

4D404232-2D85-4B9B-B422-A8142DAAA2BF.jpeg

Nice EX18E RS. Lovely colour. Space hopper orange 👍

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, pete said:

interesting that some are considering an exige instead of an emira. To me they are completely different cars.

To be honest, when I put down a deposit on the Emira (which feels like so long ago!) it was going to be my daily driver so wanted some creature comforts. I ended up buying an FK8 Type R when the delays started, which I think I’m going to keep now so don’t really need something as useable as the Emira anymore. It just needs to be able to handle longer trips, NC500, Le Mans, Alps etc. which from comments here the Exige seems to be more than capable of doing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JamieF said:

I enquired about a couple of similar 380's last year but they sold within hours of being advertised, in fact one didn't even make it that far as it sold from an Instagram story post! In the end I bought a stunning 410 and after having many long trips around the Highlands my partner and I have never found it uncomfortable. Boot space isn't as bad as you might expect either, you can fit a couple of soft holdalls in there and minimal room behind the seats for a jacket or two.

DSC05551.jpg

Good shot. I think the Exige looks fantastic from that angle 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete said:

Exactly this. It wasn’t until I tried out the Exige that I realised what I was looking for. In recent years I’ve owned a TTRS, F Type & Cayman T. They were all great for a while but I found they all quickly became a bit ‘normal’ and uneventful.

After a few up close & personal experiences with the Emira at Goodwood & Hethel, I became increasingly aware that (for me) whilst looking beautiful, it would quickly become as uneventful as my previous cars. On reflection, I should have bought an Exige years ago but it’s been a fun journey of discovery! 

• Like 2

I've been through a similar journey of discovery. 

M4: too leery and BMW steering is just dreadful. No feel whatsoever. 

718 Cayman GTS (2.5 with PDK): great car but too refined and lacked real thrill.  Sold it back to Porsche last year for a tidy profit 🙂

Elise: tested a 220 and it had the fun factor but I think I prefer the V6 and the more aggressive looks of the Exige 

Exige: tested a 410 a few weeks ago and it was perfection. 

The only question remains: which one? I'm tempted to start with a 350 (with a bold colour of course!) and pop some Nitrons on... I expect that'll be more than enough for mostly road use.

Edited by SW_Mike
Additional info

Oh I hesitate every time i see a post like yours @SW_Mikebecause i dont want to offend any owners of 350s.  But, if you can afford to, buy a 410 over a 350.  They are night and day to drive.  The sound, the feel, the looks... i had a 350 from new for 7-weeks.  Yes, 49 days give or take.  That actually sounds longer.  Anyway, i realised i had bought the wrong car (for me) so bit the rather expensive bullet and changed to a 410.  that is 3.5 years ago almost and i am as smitten today with the 410 as i was when i picked it up.  setup is critical and the geo wants to be spot on.  But when it is right it is sublime.  If your strategy is to 'start with a 350' and then upgrade it in bits or in full to a different car i think you are just delaying your true enjoyment.  Buy the best you can without taking risks and enjoy every moment. Health to enjoy.

The Exige,

Is a fine drivers car however it does have 3 fundamental drawbacks as a regular or long journey vehicle.

•Its difficult to get in and out of
•The noise in the cabin, particularly if you have no sound deadening and thin rear glass window is a pain
•3 Way Nitrons are really essential for use on poor UK roads

The Emira obviously is far less compromised and in the grand scheme less tiring on longer journeys 

I take to wearing noise cancelling head phones to help

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jcx said:

Oh I hesitate every time i see a post like yours @SW_Mikebecause i dont want to offend any owners of 350s.  But, if you can afford to, buy a 410 over a 350.  They are night and day to drive.  The sound, the feel, the looks... i had a 350 from new for 7-weeks.  Yes, 49 days give or take.  That actually sounds longer.  Anyway, i realised i had bought the wrong car (for me) so bit the rather expensive bullet and changed to a 410.  that is 3.5 years ago almost and i am as smitten today with the 410 as i was when i picked it up.  setup is critical and the geo wants to be spot on.  But when it is right it is sublime.  If your strategy is to 'start with a 350' and then upgrade it in bits or in full to a different car i think you are just delaying your true enjoyment.  Buy the best you can without taking risks and enjoy every moment. Health to enjoy.

Hi Jcx, I'm really keen to hear your views as this is where I've struggled to crystallise the real differences between 350, 380 and 410, drawing from forum posts and YT videos.

What does the extra £10k-£20k for a 410 buy that I can't simply achieve from buying a 350 + adding 3-way Nitrons? 

On aesthetics I can make my own judgement (and yes it is nicer, but not £10k+ nicer) but what would the 410 offer in terms of feel, enjoyment and overall experience that I couldn't achieve from a 350? Are there major mechanical differences that mean the 350 is a substantially inferior car?

Thanks in advance

6 hours ago, Tex said:

The Exige,

Is a fine drivers car however it does have 3 fundamental drawbacks as a regular or long journey vehicle.

•Its difficult to get in and out of
•The noise in the cabin, particularly if you have no sound deadening and thin rear glass window is a pain
•3 Way Nitrons are really essential for use on poor UK roads

The Emira obviously is far less compromised and in the grand scheme less tiring on longer journeys 

I take to wearing noise cancelling head phones to help

As someone who had to sell the motorbike to keep the other half happy, and has tried to emulate the biker experience ever since, these are pros rather than cons! :thumbup: