Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
How crashy is your suspension. Anyone care to comment? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

How crashy is your suspension. Anyone care to comment?

Go to solution Solved by Bruss,

I'd like some honest opinions of how you find your Evora 400 and 410 suspension. Slow speed noise over potholes or similar is my interest. Does your GT sport suspension crash or knock? Does your Touring crash or knock?

Anyone who has driven both care to comment on how they compare at slow speed?

Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Not driven both but have a 400 with regular suspension set up and PSS tyres 19/20”.

I find the ride supple and almost every passenger comments on it being so.  They all expect the ride to be more crashy.  I love it actually.  It’s well damped and not noisy.

I generally keep the tyre pressures close to book, ie, 30/31 psi and immediately notice if they are higher when it definitely gets more unsettled and crashy which manifests in more noise.  Problem in the current very cold weather is that the standing pressure of 30/31 quickly becomes 33/34 when running but deflating every ride is not practical.  So, yes, in the winter, I find the ride more harsh than when the weather is more moderate.

I do notice a difference in how I as driver absorb very bumpy roads.   In other cars (hot hatches) by relaxing my body I could ride with the bumps and crests, I suppose a bit like the rider of a horse, almost letting the car move around beneath me.  That’s not possible in the Lotus.  This I think is because I’m low in the car and quite connected to it so they pretty much go right through me.  Not sure if I can effectively explain this in words.

In summary, the ride is well damped on most roads.  On really bad uneven roads, because of the inability to disconnect from the car and ride the bumps through my body, the bumps go right through me and it’s pretty wearing. But in most cases, I’m more than happy to take the longer detour!

In terms of noise, and I suspect from another post you are maybe thinking of suspension noise, my standard dampers make no mechanical noise.  My previous car had Ohlins R/T and yes, they were definitely noisy knockers even with just 25k miles and fixed rather than adjustable top mounts.  This was most noticeable at low speeds.  After much investigation it was suggested to me that this would be the dampers needed refurbishing and a particular bearing changed, but that it would not affect performance.  

Edited by Phaeton91
Added a bit more
  • Like 1

Thanks Cet. Thats a good descriptive analysis. I have the same opinion of the ride of the Evora generally, even with the Nitrons at 40 mph plus speeds. The knock I describe is definitely a mechanical knock, I suspect probably in the Nitron bush/mount configuration. At higher speeds the knock fades in to the background probably due to the speed of the interaction. It is interesting what you say though, about the Ohlins as that was my other thought, to go from Nitrons to Ohlins. I will try the gt 410 dampers first though as they are available.

• Like 1

Not sure if your Nitrons are adjustable or fixed (I hear they are excellent by the way).  My gut feeling is that adjustability could be a contributing factor. 

I was frustrated with the knocking on the Ohlins.  They are brilliant with a simple one knob adjustment for compression and rebound and were height adjustable, but given they were a factory fit (not cheap) option the fact they started knocking was disappointing.  I then went down the rabbit hole of investigating the issue; unsuccessfully tried a warranty claim, and talked to Ohlins who recommended a service (which I took as genuine) although they also said its not a problem from a performance or safety perspective.  They said there was one point in particular where the knocking eminates apparently and that is either a DV? or a DU? bearing/bushing.  The knocking had no pattern either.  It wasn’t connected to bumps or steering inputs - it was just there, all the time at low speeds in particular (up to 20mph).

What I recognised by this stage is that the more performance orientated the product, and particularly with the adjustability, the more care it needs and so it wouldn’t surprise me if the Nitrons are the same.  Unfortunately I didn’t have spare shocks for the Megane so I didnt send them off for a service and just put up with it, but perhaps if you speak to Nitron they’ll be able to advise on servicing frequency and costs. 

My other thought is that with your comment on 410 dampers, being that they are fixed rather than adjustable and  supplied as standard equipment I’d  like to say I’d be surprised if they suffered the knocking that you and I experienced.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Phaeton91 said:

Ohlins who recommended a service

Scott Walker told me that they should be serviced every 2 years - suppose it may depend on use/abuse they get.

All competition suspension is noisier than OEM dampers because they remove the bushings that keep metal bits from knocking to save weight. Nothing you can do about it, really, but I don't believe it's damaging.

They also tend to have far less sealing of the shaft as well, meaning dirt and other contaminants get in. This is why they need servicing much more regularly, as stated in earlier posts.

Basically, when it comes to (Lotus) road cars, sticking to the OEM road suspension is the best solution for 99% of us.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...