Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Komotec EX490 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Komotec EX490

GER

So I have wrestled with this, as I am taking the lightest V6 Exige built and making it heavier..

Without a charge cooler the Cup 380 can suffer on hot track days so my logic is that it’s safer and less stressful for the engine to have a charge cooler…

So I have been talking the last few days with H111 to do some Komotec work alongside replacing the plastic baffled sump with the Moroso.

So where I would like some help is to know more about the EX490. This feels more OEM than the EX460 as it’s the charge cooler from my old Evora 400. I can find lots of EX460 review but little on the other.

Noting that it’s considerably more expensive again, is it as simple as cost v gain or is it a newer development?

I appreciate any info as I have not been following developments over the last couple of years.

thanks

Greg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Seems like EX490 is not touching the engine internals, whereas jubu 500 kit changes pistons, connecting rods, valve springs... for the similar power.

There are some reports that everything that is over 450/460 could cause some serious engine internals damage, especially if driven hard (read: track). That's also why I am still on the stock power level 🙂

• Like 1

Please reference these reports @Toqcars as This would be helpful to sort fact from the usual internet hearsay. 

THe main increase in the cost of the 490, iirc, is the carbon air induction piece which I believe liberates more of the supercharger whine, something some people like but not me @GER. I think the 460/475 is the best price point 

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

https://hiltonandmoss.com/stock/details/2016-lotus-3-eleven/590798                                                            maybe take this for a drive as ithas the Komotec 490 conversion

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

For clarification the EX460 and EX490 kits are for V6’s, 350’s and 380’s.

The later 400’s utilise the EX475 kits.

The later ECU’s are different 

Edited by Tex
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

@TBD had, I think, the 460 kit on his GTE and has now the 475/490 kit on his Exige. I know he did a quite a lot of high speed autobahn miles on the GTE.

There are several others who have posted on hear re the kits, to be honest, I've not heard of a "bad experience" that I can recall.

The V6 engine has been modded to well over 500bhp in other cars. In the Evora, the gearbox is the weakest link and needs to be torque limited.

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Thanks @TBD for confirming as I know you have a lot of years, and miles, with the Komotect kits. Hope everything is still going well for you.