Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
New front door - advice please - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

New front door - advice please

Bazza 907

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

We tried a couple for the same thing and they were absolutely shocking.

Kept saying "oh I can do it cheaper, let me speak to my boss" about 6 times and in the end they were still refusing to leave so I booted them out, yes physically.

In the end we didn't buy anything and I will speak to a Builder mate and get him to source and fit it for me.

So, in short, don't use window companies. 

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

We used a local company to us - we had all windows and doors replaced. They came and measured up, made the windows and installed them. We avoided the big national companies mainly for the reasons Kimbers highlights.

We even had stable doors put on our stable block.

20230215_115255.jpg

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

Best bet is to find a small local company with a good rep. Steer clear of nationals and as Kimbers said, the minute they mention calling the boss eject them - or tell them up front that you are not interested in any nonsense and they get one shot and you will compare quotes and product before making your decision. 

Historically (or when other works ongoing which need B.Reg approval) I'd install myself, but it is regulated so you either need an approved (ie FENSA) installer who will register it with the LABC or you will need building control to sign off on it. There are specific questions when selling the house around replacement doors/windows and solicitors will kick off if not recorded.

Blessed with the competence to be a slave to the incapable.

Currently without a Lotus, Evora 400 Hethel Edition in Racing Green with Red leather and 2010 Evora N/A in Laser Blue and 1983 Lotus Excel LC Narrow body in Ice Blue all sadly gone.

2 hours ago, pete said:

a lot will depend on budget and whether existing door is a standard size

Pete,

Current door is standard size but we're bringing it forward 3 meters so builder suggesting a new, wider door. Budget c£1.5-2k

Thanks for the other responses. Sounds like double glazing sales at its best. Will try to find a good local company unless there are any more recommendations?

Hi, if you are engaging a builder to carry out the work extending the house forward, are the not able to recommend and fit. Fensa would not cover this as the door is going into a new location, I looked at joining Fensa but it was not worth it as most of my work is extensions and alterations so we submit a building notice to the local authority and fit under that.

• Like 2

dont think todd doors do bespoke front doors only internal,and most of their external doors are veneered

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

We used Kloeber - one of their hardwood and glass funkyfront doors finished in RAL 7016.  Its been in for more than a decade and we're very pleased with it - still looks and works fine.  Not the cheapest...

Loving Lionel and Eleanor......missing Charlie and Sonny