Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Shock absorbers - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Shock absorbers

I understand that Lotus uses parts that are used on other makes of cars. On my 83 Excel, the rear ones although not leaking are looking and feeling a bit tired. They are coil overs. Any suggestions for replacements from other makes. Prefer not to import from Britain as frieght is horrendous from Britain to NZ at the moment 

LotusBits or SJ Sportscars would be my port of call for suggestions.

I appreciate your situation in NZ but putting incorrect suspension on a Lotus is to remove a true fundamental of the car. 

Justin 

• Like 2

Some generics are used from other parts bin but not the core values of your car. So the engine and suspension parts are unique, so is the ride. You can try to search via distributers from GAZ, Protech and the make of Lotusbits which I can't remember at the moment.

• Like 1

I've got Gaz shocks on the rear of my Eclat and you should be able to find the right model on their site for your Excel. If you get them just don't put them on their hardest setting or you'll be kangarooing down the road!!

Hi @soldave - I need to replace and update the rear shocks on my '78 Elite this year  and I recently saw Gaz offered on a site somewhere.

Do you know if they were a straightforward fit without requiring any modification at all? 

Much like tyres, tyre pressures and oil recommendations whenever you ask the question of what is best you get many different answers based on people's preference or indeed what individual suppliers are selling.

The Gaz shocks appealed for some reason but I don't want to start hacking things about or altering ride heights by getting it wrong.

Thanks 

• 5 months later...

I have GAZ shocks on my 88 Excel SE (put on by the previous owner).  I have contacted GAZ to inquire what model they are, and adjustment procedures.  As per Mark at GAZ, here are the numbers:

Front:  GT6-2156

Rear:  GS6-2157

On the adjustments, they are adjustable bump and rebound damping on a fixed ratio.  Clockwise stiffens them up, and counterclockwise softens them.

I removed GAZ from my Elise and replaced with Bilstein.

GAZ are built to a price, fair enough but they are not the very best in my judgement and engineers who know better than me have agreed. 

Justin