Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Replacement/upgrade to the original Cobra key fob pleeease - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Replacement/upgrade to the original Cobra key fob pleeease

I have just had to commission the last of four new Cobra key fobs that I bought within the last 8 years.  Three Cobra key fobs have disintegrated in the last five years.  Just disintegrated.  The fob buttons, the rubber connection; all disintegrated, with NO attributable wear and tear.  Total mileage last four whole years = 34 miles!  They just degenerate and disintegrate.  Is there a better housing I can purchase?  How about even a new housing for the key that will also accommodate the internal electronics of the Cobra key fob?  Somebody somewhere must have produced one, surely?  I do NOT want to get in to re-programming stuff or fitting new electronics anywhere.  Just want a newer, robust, stylish key fob to replace the crappy Cobra alarm fob and ideally a new key/fob to replace not just the Cobra fob but also to accommodate the original key as well, like a 'modern' car (like from the last 30 years!).  Car concerned is a 1998 GT3.  TIA.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks perfect, Bibs, thank you.  I presume these are known to work properly ie there is no risk being taken in purchasing one?  I'm not over-sold on its styling, but it'll be better than the existing originals.  I've just had to throw-away not one, but two sets of Cobra transmission cases.  On one of them the buttons just imploded through material degradation, and the other one, the rubber that connects the transmitter to the keyring just fell apart.  Also, the transmitter cases are prone to breaking apart where the aperture is to house the rubber piece.

You could also remove the alarm and be done with it.

It is strange that the fobs seem to wear so quickly, especially given the lack of use. Usually the plastic lasts for many years (and miles) before showing much sign of wear.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

@Bibs My 1998 GT3 Esprit keys bear no resemblance to the keys in the photos.  The GT3 keys are long and slim with square/rectangular ends, not wide, pointed ends.  Will they work?  Also regarding the "early" and "late" "lighted" and "unlighted" versions, I have two original Lotus keys from the car at sale; one has a LED light in the key fob, the other does not.  This was standard at the time.  This was not a product of a "early" or "later" key.

@Escape unfortunately, experience has just shown me that two brand-new Cobra transmitter fobs from 7 years ago that have just sat in a draw, have completely failed, imploded, broken, fallen-apart.

http://www.blackwatchracing.com/mobile/ContactUsForm.aspx

As the volume of Elise/Exige far outweighed Esprit, this key was designed for small platform cars as it makes more economic sense. Fortunately, the Cobra alarm/fob is the same for all so this key will be what you're after, but for the finer points you need to ask the people who designed and make it, they'll be able to sort the finer points for you 👍

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM

@esprit gt3 nickbassett frankly my experience with the cobra setup wasn’t great. I spent a long time getting it working. Then a few months later - I ended up stranded at a petrol station bypassing the immob with a knife and some tape. I’ve had a few other friends have just the same issues with this kit.

Give up. It’s easier 🤣

• Like 1

Only here once

Tough luck Nicholas. Must be a manufacturing defect, there is no valid reason plastic should deteriorate so rapidly, especially when stored! All the more reason to just remove it?

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.