Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Document set for US X180 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Document set for US X180

Hi All,

I bought my first Lotus end of last year. It is 1989 US spec Esprit turbo non-SE. It didn't come with any handbooks or other helpful documents. Now I'm looking after required documents. Which are the correct documents I need? According to VIN, car is MPFI (VIN ends 25XX). After some research are these the correct essentials:

- Parts manual (downloadable here after I upgrade my membership)

- Lotus Esprit Turbo service notes 1988-1992 MY (Is Service Notes same as Workshop Manual?)

- Service Notes Electronic Multi Fuel Point Injection

- Owners Handbook (Part number for 1989 US MPFI? or will any X180 Turbo Handbook do the job?)

Anything else?

I'm planning to get paper copies for these. I have found a few places to sell them with pretty steep prices so I want to be sure that I order correct ones.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, Kelpina76 said:

Lotus Esprit Turbo service notes 1988-1992 MY (Is Service Notes same as Workshop Manual?)

Yes

Try ebay for manuals, they  come up occasionally. :thumbup:

Cheers,

John W

Any handbook will do, and you don't really need it as the service notes cover everything.

Are you sure your car has the Delphi MPFI and not the Bosch CIS, as those were used in the US up to 88/89 (with the Citroen gearbox). The CIS is described in the main manual, for MPFI you're right and it is important to get the addendum on the Delphi system.

Also, welcome to TLF! And congrats on your first Lotus! After driving an Esprit, you'll be hooked for life. 😉

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

2 hours ago, Escape said:

the service notes cover everything.

Most of us have found that the Parts List book is also helpful, as the diagrams help locate items.

These days, a PDF is more useful than a paper book. You can more easily SEARCH, then print the section(s) that you need. (Note that the GM MPFI section is a separate section so make sure you have that.) An '89 would not have the SIR (airbag) system, so you don't need that.

The Owner's Manual booklet seems to be the most difficult thing to source...

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

20 hours ago, CarBuff said:

Most of us have found that the Parts List book is also helpful, as the diagrams help locate items.

I fully agree, I was only referring to the owners manual that is not really needed if you have the service notes. On the other hand, if you don't have the service notes the manual will already get you some way to resolve technical issues (like the vacuum diagram to help you trace the pipework), unlike modern ones that just warn you not to drink battery acid.

The parts manual is indeed very helpful if (when) you dig in to stuff a bit deeper, or to search for/ order parts of course.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 12/03/2023 at 11:36, Escape said:

Are you sure your car has the Delphi MPFI and not the Bosch CIS, as those were used in the US up to 88/89 (with the Citroen gearbox).

This is basically the only thing where I base my information and my serial number is 25xx. Need to double check this once I get my hands to my car after winter storage.

2. VIN serial number introduction points for models prior to 1991. M.Y.

'88 M.Y. Export Esprit & Esprit Turbo; 1000
'88 M.Y. USA Esprit Turbo; 2000
'88 M.Y. Domestic Esprit & Esprit Turbo; 3000
'89 M.Y. USA Esprit Turbo (MPFI); 2500
All Markets Esprit Turbo S.E.; 5000

Your reasoning is sound, so you should indeed have one of the rare non-chargecooled Esprit Turbo's with MPFI. Easy enough to check when you look at the engine, but doesn't make that much difference for the manuals. Apart from the specific section on the Delphi engine management, the manuals cover all cars for those model years.

Strangest thing here is that all registration documents from Europe (Germany & Sweden) have SE version horse power but that I'm sure it doesn't have charge cooler. I'm not that mechanically incompetent 😁

Car had a crash in US mid-90's and was imported to Germany for restoration. Since 1996 it has been back on the road but use have been pretty limited according to mileage.