Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Plenum removal? - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Plenum removal?

• Gold FFM

Hi all. I’ve noticed that I have a vacuum pipe not attached at one end. 

It looks like it belongs underneath the plenum somewhere. It comes off a 4 way tee. One pipe goes to the fuel regulator, one pipe goes to the plenum (rear of the car end), one pipe seems to go to the fuel tank? And then there’s this pipe. 

I’m convinced it goes somewhere under the plenum which means removing it to look. 

So my question is, what is the easiest way to remove it?  Can I take the casing off it or will that cause me more problems than removing the whole thing (including carbs?)

Thanks all for any advice. 

Have you tried removing ONLY the rectangular plenum on the right side of the intake? That usually provides access...or at least enough room to investigate the vacuum lines with a mirror.

Don't forget, the vacuum line diagram is on the hatch...LOOK UP.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, TAR said:

Ahhhhhh so it’s pipe 53 on there and looks as though it goes to something on the distributor!!

Thank you for the link. However the issue still remains. How to get to it easily. Plenum removal seems to be the obvious, but how best to do it remains. 

11 minutes ago, CarBuff said:

Have you tried removing ONLY the rectangular plenum on the right side of the intake? That usually provides access...or at least enough room to investigate the vacuum lines with a mirror.

Don't forget, the vacuum line diagram is on the hatch...LOOK UP.

I’ve not tried to do anything yet but I don’t like the idea to open up the plenum casing as I thought that creates a vacuum which means breaking the gasket seal etc. 

Are you sure you can't reach the vacuum pod on the distributor? Even with the plenum on, it should just be possible. Worth a shot at least!

Taking the plenum off isn't too bad. If you're lucky, the seal will come off in one piece and can be reused. If not, either fit a new one or use a suitable gasket (not silicon).

As long as you leave the carbs attached, you wont need to balance them. Or have to worry about the mountings to the intake manifold.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.