Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Finally Owner of a Lotus Esprit Turbo 2.2 SE - Looking for some help! - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Finally Owner of a Lotus Esprit Turbo 2.2 SE - Looking for some help!

Dear fellow Lotus Esprit owners,

I recently had the pleasure of acquiring my dream car, a Lotus Esprit 2.2 Turbo SE in that awesome pearl white that I searched a lot in previous months, from a used car lot. While I am absolutely thrilled with my purchase, I wanted to reach out to the wonderful community of Lotus enthusiasts to ask for your advice and suggestions. Consider that the car it’s stop since 9 years. Car has only 70’000km and was used by a really good owner.

As with any used car purchase, I want to ensure that my Esprit is in the best possible condition before hitting the road. With this in mind, I am seeking recommendations on what parts and components should be replaced (eventually upgraded) or inspected to ensure that my car is both safe and running optimally.

I would be very grateful for any input you may have. Your experiences and insights are incredibly valuable and would provide me with the peace of mind that comes from knowing my beloved Lotus Esprit is in tip-top condition.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards and I wish you a lovely weekend

Welcome to TLF and congrats with your purchase!

The Turbo SE is a good choice (of course I'll say this, I have one as well 😉  ), some useful upgrades like the injection and chargecooler but still pretty true to the original design.

First thing you'd want to do is replace the timing belt. If that is more than 4 years old, it's safer not to try to start the engine. If it fails, it will get expensive... Then there's the more common stuff: checking fuel and coolant lines, making sure all ignition components are in good shape etc. But those you can fix along the way if needed.

As you say your Esprit was off the road for 9 years, I'd start by replacing the timing belt. While doing that, you'll get a chance to check the engine turns freely (by hand, with the old belt still on). You're likely to spot a lot of other stuff that needs replacing as well. Once the belt is off, have a good look at the water pump. Also check the clutch operates as it should. If not, first have a look at the hydraulic circuit. You can move the clutch fork by hand (with a suitable lever). Should the clutch plate be stuck, you'd want to consider taking out the engine and gearbox together, as this will make all the other work (especially the timing belt) so much easier!

There is a lot of info here to help you along the way. And don't be afraid to ask, we're happy to help.

Good luck,

Filip

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Just now, Escape said:

Welcome to TLF and congrats with your purchase!

The Turbo SE is a good choice (of course I'll say this, I have one as well 😉  ), some useful upgrades like the injection and chargecooler but still pretty true to the original design.

First thing you'd want to do is replace the timing belt. If that is more than 4 years old, it's safer not to try to start the engine. If it fails, it will get expensive... Then there's the more common stuff: checking fuel and coolant lines, making sure all ignition components are in good shape etc. But those you can fix along the way if needed.

As you say your Esprit was off the road for 9 years, I'd start by replacing the timing belt. While doing that, you'll get a chance to check the engine turns freely (by hand, with the old belt still on). You're likely to spot a lot of other stuff that needs replacing as well. Once the belt is off, have a good look at the water pump. Also check the clutch operates as it should. If not, first have a look at the hydraulic circuit. You can move the clutch fork by hand (with a suitable lever). Should the clutch plate be stuck, you'd want to consider taking out the engine and gearbox together, as this will make all the other work (especially the timing belt) so much easier!

There is a lot of info here to help you along the way. And don't be afraid to ask, we're happy to help.

Good luck,

Filip

Thanks so much for the suggestions, much appreciated! Car was really well mantained, i saw it immediately as seems it was in a time capsule. I will indeed change the belt and pump, I saw so many posts on the forum, i won't start the car before i changed them. I'm wondering if there is any check list somewhere in the forum with part numbers (something that i'm struggling is to put together all informations)

Thanks for the reply and the warm welcome!

Check the rear chassis bobbins. If they're busting out of the fiberglass chuck them and repair with new fiberglass and plates or big washers on both sides of the fiberglass.

Also check the bolts attaching the chassis to the bulkhead behind the seats. They tend to become loose.

DanR

I don't like replacing items just for the sake of it, so wouldn't necessarily put in a new water pump. 😉 I would check for play in the bearings of course and signs of leakage. If it looks and feels fine, let it be.

As for part numbers, vendors like SJ and Bell and Colvil have parts diagrams on their websites.

If you plan on working on your Esprit yourself, which I can highly recommend, you'll need a workshop manual as well.

Where are you from? UK?

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

On 21/05/2023 at 00:18, DanR said:

Check the rear chassis bobbins. If they're busting out of the fiberglass chuck them and repair with new fiberglass and plates or big washers on both sides of the fiberglass.

Also check the bolts attaching the chassis to the bulkhead behind the seats. They tend to become loose.

Thanks, gonna check both of them, much appreciated suggstion

On 21/05/2023 at 07:41, Escape said:

I don't like replacing items just for the sake of it, so wouldn't necessarily put in a new water pump. 😉 I would check for play in the bearings of course and signs of leakage. If it looks and feels fine, let it be.

As for part numbers, vendors like SJ and Bell and Colvil have parts diagrams on their websites.

If you plan on working on your Esprit yourself, which I can highly recommend, you'll need a workshop manual as well.

Where are you from? UK?

Filip

Just bought today a workshop manual after countless hours of research! indeed i'll change everything needed to start the car. I won't work myself on the car but i have a mechanic since 20 years where i bring to him my classics. Affordable and he is very good even if i doubt he worked before on a turbo SE ahahah

I'm from Italy