Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Need tire recommendations for 1989 Esprit turbo. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Need tire recommendations for 1989 Esprit turbo.

My 1989 Esprit turbo has factory 15 x 7 front rims and 15 x 8 rear rims with Falken Ziex ZE912 195/60-15 and 225/60-15. The tires are very old and need replacement. It is very challenging to source 15" performance tires these days. I found Falken Azenis RT660 205/50-15 and Falken Azenis RT660 225/45-15 but I am concerned the Azenis have a diameter of 23 inches compared to the 24 and 25 inch diameter current tires.

The car will sit 1 inch lower in the rear and 1/2 inch lower in the front. I know the spedo/odom will need to be calibrated somehow. 

These performance tires look awesome but my diameter concern is holding me back. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. I am located in Philadelphia, PA.

PS: I just completed the dreaded timing belt change...a thorough ass kicking the first time!

Thank you,

Jeff

• Like 1

I would look for a slightly larger tire instead of smaller, especially on the rear. Your rears were already a size smaller than the standard 235/60R15.

I know it's hard to find good tires for classic performance cars, and it's getting all the more difficult. 😞

Good on you for changing the belt yourself! It may be challenging, by certainly possible and gives a great reward when doen and the engine fires up. Next time it will go a lot smoother. 😉

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

5 hours ago, jkorvette said:

My 1989 Esprit turbo has factory 15 x 7 front rims and 15 x 8 rear rims with Falken Ziex ZE912 195/60-15 and 225/60-15. The tires are very old and need replacement. It is very challenging to source 15" performance tires these days. I found Falken Azenis RT660 205/50-15 and Falken Azenis RT660 225/45-15 but I am concerned the Azenis have a diameter of 23 inches compared to the 24 and 25 inch diameter current tires.

The car will sit 1 inch lower in the rear and 1/2 inch lower in the front. I know the spedo/odom will need to be calibrated somehow. 

These performance tires look awesome but my diameter concern is holding me back. Any advice and recommendations would be appreciated. I am located in Philadelphia, PA.

PS: I just completed the dreaded timing belt change...a thorough ass kicking the first time!

Thank you,

Jeff

Can you get hold of any General Grabber HPs in a 235/60/15? That’s standard fitment size on a DeLorean too. American tyre so might be available on your side of the pond?

They’re a surprisingly good tyre - performed well around the Nurburgring last summer! 

Edited by jerzybondov

• 4 weeks later...

Fifteen inches is kind of a dying size in performance tires.

On my 1989 Esprit Turbo, I partially addressed this challenge by upgrading to SE wheels which are 16" at the rear.  No spacers or adjustable upper links were needed.  Dunlop SP Sport 8000s served me well for a few years, but were discontinued.  I am now running Continental Extreme Contact 205/50ZR15 fronts and 225/50ZR16 on the rear; so far so good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"If everything is under control, you're going too slow." - Mario Andretti

• 4 weeks later...

I kept the 1989 factory 15" wheels and purchased Achilles ATR Sport 195/60-15 V rated fronts and Toyo Proxis Vimode 235/60-15 H rated rears from Simple Tire here in the states. All is good. Minor concern the old 225/60-15 tires were one inch shorter at 25" OD, the car seemed to spool up a bit faster with those shorter tires.