Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Rear rotor rubbing on bracket, already have a shim on either side of the rotor. Is it ok to put both shims behind the rotor? - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Rear rotor rubbing on bracket, already have a shim on either side of the rotor. Is it ok to put both shims behind the rotor?

Go to solution Solved by DrieStone,

14 minutes ago, rgh0 said:

I presume the data is in a DS manual as this used the same 5 speed gearbox as the SM at least in regards to these bearings

Yes, 90% of a DS 5 speed box is identical to an SM box.  All the bearings are exactly the same   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Thanks

The Citroen special SKF bearing appears to combine the width of the SKF 3206A bearing at 23.8mm, with the OD of the SKF 3306A bearing at 72mm to give the basic dimensions of 30mm ID 72mm OD and 23.8mm width.  The ID for both these bearings is 30mm 

Now I can start hunting for alternatives as those made by no name brand bearing makers that the usual companies appear to supply I cannot trust to last.

An alternative maybe fitting a 72mm OD x 62mm ID sleeve into the housing to accept the smaller 62mm OD of the SKF 3206A compared to the original 72mm

Another alternative would be to modify the housing bearing clamping arrangement to accomodate the greater 30.2mm width of the SKF 3306A bearing compared to the original 23.8mm. I dont know how much thread exists on the threaded clamping bush to accomodate a wider bearing but this change may be possible with minimal work.  

I presume Harry Limmen does one of these options ? Has anyone bought a gearbox  or modified output shaft housing from him to comment on the changes made in this area due to the lack of this special bearing? Unfortunately its not viable to ship a gearbox to him from Australia for rebuilding :(

cheers

Rohan

Nope - Not crazy at all.  The only thing is that's a replacement part (and a slightly different style of industrial bearing), not an original Citroen bearing.   Probably have a shorter service life than the NLS genuine bearing (smaller shoulder/less balls).  Will it be OK for pottering about from car show to car show?  Yep probably for the next 100 years...

I cant find any standard industrial bearing from the major suppliers ( FAG,Timken, SKF, NTN, Koyo ) that matches the original Citroen dimensions.   Has anyone purchased the referenced SJS bearing and measured its dimensions ?  i have asked SJS but not recieved a reply yet 

cheers

Rohan