Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sloppy Steering Rack - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sloppy Steering Rack

Hi guys,

Is it possible to adjust the steering rack to remove the slop. I have quite a lot of play at the steering wheel. I've replaced the u/js which made no difference so must be the rack?

Pete

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

Hi Pete,

The rack may be disasssembled with moderate effort and then one may improve the condition by removing one of the 3 shims which serve to set the pinion-rack mesh distance. That said, it may well be that your rack has worn largely in the on-centre segment due to miles covered being predominantly straight ahead. If that is the case tightening the mesh to improve things on-centre may result in binding when turning towards full lock, and of course this musn't be permitted in any great measure. There is a firm in the UK who are known for refurbishing and I'd be tempted to work with them.

https://kileyclinton.com/

IMG_1595.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks chaps. It's a replacement rack from SJ bought years ago so not original. Don't know if that makes a difference to being able to adjust?

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

You adjust the rack using the shim pack - add/remove shims until you get a certain torque required to turn the pinion shaft.  The kit from Lotus Marques comes with good instructions as well.  I had to make a shim to get the correct figure, but I've got a couple of spares now I think if you need any - I'll check in the shed - it's a couple of years since I did it!

Pete

• Like 1

21 hours ago, drdoom said:

Pete, please share those instructions, if you will.

I'm not sure that I kept them!  I'll have a look through my piles of paperwork to see if I still have them - may take a while!  🙄

Pete

• Like 1

I just installed a rack from JAE which I believe is from SJs. First thing I noticed was the ratio is totally different. I plan on rebuilding the original with the kit from Lotus Marques as I think it’s just the inner tie-rod bushings that are worn.

• Thanks 1

when I was comparing the old vs the new one I found that the inner ball joints where 10mm wider apart don't know it that will affect bump steer a lot but together with the overall weaker design I sold it on....  

I rebuilt mine using the Lotus Marques kit.

The old bushing on the end was plastic and in pieces. My wheel would point in or out depending on the last steering input. It was dangerous and scary

The kit has a brass bushing. Once I set the shims and lubricated it, the rack is like butter!  So smooth and light. 

The only thing I did not like in the kit were the small rivets that you were supposed to hammer in (maybe I needed to use a press). I could not make them work so I replaced them with split pins with some jb weld for good measure. 

• Like 1

Jim McLeskey Richmond, VA USA

I read many posts warning about the new replacement racks not being as good but out of convenience and time I just went with the a new one. It may turn out to be a $695 mistake.