Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Upgrade EX475 with titane Y-Pipe & Cat - Page 2 - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Upgrade EX475 with titane Y-Pipe & Cat

On 21/04/2024 at 19:32, Theshur said:

My Y-Pipe has a big hole :(
The titanium is very thin and didn't hold...
I'm waiting to hear back from AeriePerfomance.

++ Shu

IMG_0649.jpeg

You are not alone….my exploded.

Waiting for an answer? Ask him for a new one he will reply instant.

IMG_7843.jpeg

IMG_7839.jpeg

Edited by ex430cup

• 1 month later...
On 10/05/2024 at 09:08, Theshur said:

@El-RGBJason relaunches the factory for the 3rd time since April 21st. On the other hand, Jason responds directly to my WhatsApp, he seems involved and makes the connection but the Factory doesn't give any feedback at the moment.

Can you weld Titanium that thin? 
It's clearly too shattered for me to do anything.

I had a chat with Jim from 2Bular and the design of Lotus engines means that the exhaust is used to support the engine. So there's a lot of vibration and titanium isn't ideal in this configuration, especially with such thin components.
What's more, I've always had unwanted noises with this Titanium line from Aerie (not to mention that the Y-Pipe has unscrewed from the Cata Sport). So I decided to change everything, I ordered an EPK from 2Bular 1 week ago and I should receive it between today and Monday. 
I'll tell you more once I receive it, I'm too impatient.

++ Shu

A bit of a follow up on this one:)

Any feedback on Jim's EPK? Have you got it fitted and if so, did you need to remap? I'm also considering this but not sure whether my ecu (64 plate V6cup) will cope on a stock map - already on an Alias23 induction and 430 exhaust.

Thanks 

Hi Yiannis, I recently had the 2Bular EPK installed on my 65 plate Exige S by Back on Track with no issues with the stock ECU. The car already has the Alias23 Mk1 induction kit and the 2Bular valved back box installed.

So, like you I was also concerned with the stock ECU being able to adjust to the new system. But once installed you leave the engine running for 20-30 minutes to allow the stock ECU to adjust, then your good to go. I do not track day the car which may push the stock ECU beyond its tolerance?

The EPK gives a deeper vibration within the seating area but with all three mods there is a notable increase in engine response. I guess if the stock ECU was remapped it would unlock a little more power, but for now I am content with the stock ECU setup.

From my experience the EPK 2Bluar system is worth considering the only downside is the long delivery time (mine took 6 months).

Mark

Hi Mark,

This is very helpful many thanks for your reply.

I'm curious as to where the vibration comes from, not that I mind, car is already raw so a bit more wouldn't make any difference:)

2 questions please.

Did you go with 200 cell and if so, has the noise improved? I would be looking for a bit more raspiness from the exhaust:) Any issues with the fitment?

Also, what was the condition of the oem catalysts? Have I got a genuine reason to worry?

Many thanks:)

The vibration is not a bad thing. It is more of a deeper lower sound than when the OEM headers were installed. I guess it’s the exhaust gases being able to flow more quickly through the exhaust as the two OEM catalytic converters have been removed from the engine bay. The only thing I have found is the back box valve occasionally gets stuck in the open position. This may be to the increased flow rate, but it normally resets itself within a couple of days.

To answer your questions:

Jim at 2Bluar is now using a Euro 6 compliant HJS HD catalytic which he explained to me is why the EPK exhaust system took so long to be delivered (this may be an updated 200 cell?). The noise from the exhaust is notably louder and yes, more raspiness.

It took just over a week to fit by Back on Track as they needed to send the connector pipe (between the EPK and back box) back to Jim so he could make the HJS HD catalytic the right length. But apart from that the installation all went well.

There was nothing wrong with the OEM catalysts, even after 30k miles. I only installed the EPK exhaust system to reduce the engine bay temperature and increase engine response. So, from my personal experience there is nothing to worry about if you decide to keep the OEM headers and Y-pipe.

Hope this info helps.

• Thanks 1

This is great thanks Mark.

The reason I asked about the fitment was because a member on the V6 facebook forum had the exact same fitment issue so they had to fabricate something themselves to make it fit. At the time I thought that it was an one off but it seems not and tbh at this price range I'd expect everythint to fit like a glove - might have to drop Jim a call:)

Thanks again for the info:) 

Hello,

I heard back from Aerie, they reinforced the Y-Pipe with a small titanium plate just before the hose, where it broke. 

For my part, I preferred to change and installed the 2bular EPK. Not easy to install, you have to take your time, but there was no need to modify or adapt anything. I received mine 2 weeks after ordering and Jim was very responsive and answered all my queries. 

In pictures ;)

spacer.png

The sound is a little less shrill but with less vibration, and still much more orgasmic than the original.

++ Shu

4 hours ago, Theshur said:

For my part, I preferred to change and installed the 2bular EPK. Not easy to install, you have to take your time, but there was no need to modify or adapt anything.

Jim is often much maligned, but there is no slick "marketing shhpeak" it's all in the quality of craftmanship and the testing of the designs. I know what I'd prefer and his headers on  my original Evora were a work of art.

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

On 17/08/2024 at 09:12, Theshur said:

Hello,

I heard back from Aerie, they reinforced the Y-Pipe with a small titanium plate just before the hose, where it broke. 

For my part, I preferred to change and installed the 2bular EPK. Not easy to install, you have to take your time, but there was no need to modify or adapt anything. I received mine 2 weeks after ordering and Jim was very responsive and answered all my queries. 

In pictures ;)

spacer.png

The sound is a little less shrill but with less vibration, and still much more orgasmic than the original.

++ Shu

Good to know thanks for the update.

May I ask, are the EP kits that Jim does the same for all S3 exiges or the diameter of the Y pipe is different?

Thanks