Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Corrosion on a brand new car/engine? - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Corrosion on a brand new car/engine?

Go to solution Solved by LOTUSMAN33,

Good Evening all,

I had the car out for a bank holiday drive and noticed in the rear view mirror corrosion around the engine. When I returned home I further inspected to find alot of corrosion which is supirising to me as the car has only covered 150 miles. I messaged the agent at the dealership and they're getting back to me tomorrow as to why there's corrosion. 

I just need some advice on what I can do to make it look better or what I should be telling the dealership to do to make it right? 

20230828_185635.jpg

20230828_185629.jpg

Edited by Bob430Cup
Typo error

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Bob - I'm afraid that pretty much all of the engine's end up looking like that, it's due to exposure to the weather so it's either been driven in the wet or the tailgate may have been left up and it rained at some point. 

A suitable engine cleaner should certainly help with it :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Solution

I spray my motorcycle engine with FS 365 which is a corrosion inhibitor, I ride it everyday to work in all weathers. Due to ongoing car restorations it’s lived outside most of its life bought new in 2018 yet still corrosion free. I did wax oil the frame internally from new being steel which helped. 

https://www.scottoiler.com/products/refill-lubes-protectors/fs365-bike-protector/

I also use Lanoguard on my car chassis but that does leave a sticky residue, it works well on our 4x4 though holding corrosion at bay.

The FS 365 soaks into the aluminium engine casings so keeps them looking fresh, it sprays well also. 👍🏻

Dave 🙂

• Like 1

Do or do not, there is no try!