Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
One headlight pod staying up - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

One headlight pod staying up

Go to solution Solved by Finlandese,

After finishing my mass sacrifice of fuses, I am faced with another problem. The the pop up headlights work logically from the light switch and the flash function works too. Except that the drivers side (LHD formerly RHD) will not come down, either by the light switch or the flash function. It would seem to hint at the direction of the headlight motor itself. When driving the pod down manually, there does not seem to be any unusual resistance. Has anyone had a similar experience? 

Edited by Finlandese

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

A bit of lunchtime tinkering: Managed to get a small downward movement from the problem pod. It tries to get down but stops. This happened after using connector cleaning spray to the motor connectors. Must try harder... 🙂

Jani you may have to get into the motor internals by the time this is sorted. It's possible there is a fault in the internal switching which is designed take over power supply for the partial rotation to subsequent position after a change of control switch state ( headlamp or flash ). If not too difficult, swap the motors side-side as that will indicate whether the trouble is internal.

Cheers

• Like 2

I took the functioning one off and hooked it up to the non-functioning side connector. No reaction at all. So, my problem seems to be with the power supply to the motor.

I have been suspicious of the change over relay connections, but the I should be able to drive the pod down withe flash function. 

If I drive the pod down manually and the reverse the upward movement when taking them up again, the pod will retract. So it is getting power for getting down. It’s just not doing it from the full up postion or goes down only a small fraction of the travel.

Edited by Finlandese

Good find! Always nice when you pinpoint a failure and know an (easy) repair is possible.

Any diode with an appropriate rating should do the job, it's only there to prevent a back feed.

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.