Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Moving an S1 challenge - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Moving an S1 challenge

Go to solution Solved by Escape,

Hi all

Have had my S1 on the drive (under cover of course) for 5 years. The fuel was about 5 years old before I parked it. That's 10 year old fuel. It won't start. 

I need to get it off the drive onto a trailer. No tax or mot, so get it to my new house and cover her up again. 

The Challenge! 

Move it off a very steep concrete drive, where it's parked nose down and the handbrake was left on. Narrow drive, no chance of getting it out other Than backward. 

I have tried starting it, but no joy. Put some starter fluid in it and she fires up, bur doesn't run. Battery is flat, but jumping it off a noco boost plus. 

Can I easily change the fuel, without getting the car off the floor? 

Could I rig up a temporary fuel supply to move it about 15meters?

Any thoughts? 

Thanks. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can't you get a tow up from a more powerful car, or is the handbrake locked on as well. Sure a recovery truck would get it up the drive.

• Like 1

• Solution

If you have a car able to tow a car trailer, it will happily pull an S1 up a slope as well, even with the handbrake stuck on. Or if you can find/ borrow a car trailer with a winch, that will do the trick as well. The rear cradle is a good and safe spot to attach a tow rope. The small winch on my trailer had no trouble pulling out several Matras that had all 4 brakes locked. That's similar weight to an S1.

I would not try and force the car to drive. In my opinion the fuel it the least of your worries, but you took quite a bi risk starting the engine with the old timing belt. Who knows what else could be stuck apart from the handbrake? Bringing a car that's been sitting back to life usually takes a decent amount of TLC. Especially if it's a special car like an S1 as you'd want to be very careful. Not something to rush just to be able to move it. A couple of months ago I insisted on trailering a mate's X180 stood for a couple of years. Even if it was a bit of a hassle to maneuver it out of the barn. She was winched on the trailer and from there straight on to the lift for a thorough check, service and timing belt before attempting to start her.

As an aside, how did the Esprit survive the cover? I've heard horror stories of cars covered for longer periods as moisture can get under the cover and cause all kind of trouble, from corrosion to mold... 😞

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

If you have a car able to tow a car trailer, it will happily pull an S1 up a slope as well, even with the handbrake stuck on. Or if you can find/ borrow a car trailer with a winch, that will do the trick as well. The rear cradle is a good and safe spot to attach a tow rope. The small winch on my trailer had no trouble pulling out several Matras that had all 4 brakes locked. That's similar weight to an S1.

I would not try and force the car to drive. In my opinion the fuel it the least of your worries, but you took quite a bi risk starting the engine with the old timing belt. Who knows what else could be stuck apart from the handbrake? Bringing a car that's been sitting back to life usually takes a decent amount of TLC. Especially if it's a special car like an S1 as you'd want to be very careful. Not something to rush just to be able to move it. A couple of months ago I insisted on trailering a mate's X180 stood for a couple of years. Even if it was a bit of a hassle to maneuver it out of the barn. She was winched on the trailer and from there straight on to the lift for a thorough check, service and timing belt before attempting to start her.

As an aside, how did the Esprit survive the cover? I've heard horror stories of cars covered for longer periods as moisture can get under the cover and cause all kind of trouble, from corrosion to mold... 😞

Never knew there was an option to attach and pull from the rear. Thank you. Guess it's a case of removing the under floor and attaching?. 

The cars been under covers outdoors for about 15 years. Had 3 covers in total. First stint was about 4 years. Uncovered and had suffered extensive mould internally. Also had blistered paint above the front clam arches and roof. Next stint was for around the same amount of time, but with a fan heater set to around 7 degrees. Came out pretty much how it was left, just a lot of cobwebs. Last 4 years, no heater and hasn't suffered anything visual. The blisters have totally disappeared, which is amazing. The car has been stored in a more open environment for the past 4 years, guess it's improved the air circulation and helped with allowing moisture to evaporate. Have invested in high quality covers every time. 

Searched and found this..may not help but also says 

https://www.elise-shop.com/rear-towing-eye-elise-to-my11-exige-340r-all-models-p-121.html

As you might have already noticed, the Elise, Exige or 340R doesn't feature any towing facility at the rear end of the car.

As a result, people towed cars incorrectly. Things like straps around wishbones or even through wheels will simply damage suspension or worst case it might cause subframe or chassis damage.

These towing eyes are fitted to one of the structural points on the rear subframe and offers easy access for a tow rope.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, exeterjeep said:

Searched and found this..may not help but also says 

https://www.elise-shop.com/rear-towing-eye-elise-to-my11-exige-340r-all-models-p-121.html

As you might have already noticed, the Elise, Exige or 340R doesn't feature any towing facility at the rear end of the car.

As a result, people towed cars incorrectly. Things like straps around wishbones or even through wheels will simply damage suspension or worst case it might cause subframe or chassis damage.

These towing eyes are fitted to one of the structural points on the rear subframe and offers easy access for a tow rope.

Lol, I had just put one in the basket. Thanks 

@Lotus2197 I owe you an apology... I had a short night, read the topic title and my mind immediately assumed Esprit S1. :blush: I'll blame it on a short night (and some beers the evening before).

The advice still stands though, towing from the rear is the best way. Thanks to @exeterjeep you also know the best way to do it. If I were you, I'd have a look underneath the rear and see if you can find the threaded hole that takes the rear towing eye. It's probably standard metric thread, so you should be able to fit a bolt with a suitable attachment or maybe even an eye bolt to directly attach a tow strap. As long as it is securely fixed to the subframe and not to a suspension arm. That might work in an emergency, but you risk damage especially if some force is needed because of the slope and stuck handbrake. If you've ordered the towing eye, you could have a quick go at freeing the rear calipers, that will make things much easier of course.

As for covers, ventilation is definitely key! I'm glad to hear the blisters on the paintwork seem to have disappeared.

The timing belt on the K-series doesn't seem to be as critical as on the Lotus 9XX engines, so less of a worry. Still a good idea to get the car checked out thoroughly before starting or driving her again.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.