Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Speedo question - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Speedo question

Hi, just a quick question about the speedo cable.

Before I fit my repaired speedo angle drive, I want to make sure that there isn’t a reason why it broke (beyond old age). So if I take the speedo cable end, should I be able to turn it by hand? I intend to put a drill on it but surprised how stiff the cable feels.

Ongoing restoration photos on the Dropbox link.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

if you use a drill, be careful if the speedometer is connected. The cable needs to turn counter clockwise, otherwise you will overstress the spring.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

ok, so before trying a drill I disconnected the speedo at the dashboard end and this allowed the cable to turn freely.

So the reason why the speedo right angle drive cable broke is because the speedo mechanism had seized.

On dismantling the speedo I found that the gear that turns the mileometer had lost teeth and was completely seized and the ‘stay spring’ had rusted through. When I took these apart then the speedo magnet and shaft turned freely. Also when that gear was off I could see that the shaft worm gear was also distorted.

ta-da… I’m in the market for a replacement speedo!

Hi - talking with Pete and Filip we have been sharing as much as we know (definitely very little in my case) about the Eclat speedo versions.

So my Eclat Riviera has the white illumination 170mph max speedo. If I look at the parts manual I can see 3 versions of the Speedo for the Series 2 Eclat/Elite.

Does anyone know which speedo was fitted to which model in the S2 range? Eg as I have the Riviera - did that come with the 170mph speedo as standard?

IMG_1996.jpeg

The illumination is the only difference, and that is achieved by a green translucent cap that sits in front of the bulb. If the rest of your gauges are white illumination, the speedo is correct.

As for the range, I suspect the 170 is correct but don't know 100% :) 

• Like 1

It's getting there......