Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Esprit Market Watch - Page 63 - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit Market Watch

rizla603104

Thing is @Mark Blanchard, were any of these cars of the quality of the current top price S1s? If not, it's horses for courses.

Also, when was this exactly? Markets change, as interest changes focus, and money flows from one type of purchase to another.

The top notch S1s going for £80,000+ are virtually factory condition. Totally restored at a cost well north of £25,000++ on top of the base car cost.

2002.  Yes many of the S1's have been fully restored, nice shiny chassis's and new upholstery and at great expense, but they're still not very good cars.  They'll still need lots of regular maintenances to keep running, unlike more reliable S3's.  Unless they just sit looking pretty in a garage.

Naturally later cars will, almost without exception, be technically superior than their predecessors. However in the classic car world other factors come to play when it comes to prices.

Rarity and desirability being just two. When combined, those two things alone are compelling enough reasons for demand to be high, and prices rise to match. As they do in any such market.

It's for similar reasons that a Jaguar E-Type Series 1 costs far more to buy than a lesser respected, but potentially technically superior Series 3. Doubtful in the case of the V12 E-Type, but certainly the Series 2.

The emotion of owning such cars often far outweighs the performance and reliability. If this wasn't the case, Alfa Romeo would no longer be producing automobiles!

• Like 1

Well the bubbles headlamps covers are nicer on the Series 1, and the polished cam covers and bumpers too! :D — Seriously I don't think there are that much differences except a few minor things that ruins the looks, are there? Oh and the (blinding) reflecting aluminium fascia is very nice too! But actually my favourite E Type — by far — is the the low drag coupe! Or a bit more common, a lightweight or just a drop head coupe with its hard top. But I digress a bit, sorry :D

12 hours ago, Fridge said:

To be fair @nello good S1s in the condition which are fetching these top prices haven't been available for anything like £10,000 for quite some time.

Yes David - like Mark says it was probably around 2000'ish - time flies!

• Like 1

Buying my X180 only last September 2017 was a combination of looks (heart), price and practicality, it could be that the S3/X180 will be the next Esprit prices to head north - I'd certainly love to prove my wife wrong. Like Ferrari and other classics including Ford what goes up can go down!   

• Like 1

That's 18 years ago!

Seems like yesterday to me.

The say time flies when you're having fun. Sounds like you've enjoyed your Esprit time @nello. I can't wait to try out mine after a 2 year restoration.

Just my take on it ....I think  they should all be priced the same ....I bought my s1 in 86 .For approx 4,500 pounds because it was the cheapest esprit you could buy .tartan car ...I get the e type thing .But to me every esprit built is a thing of beauty.S3 built in similar numbers to s1 cars ..Even lotus said in the j Walton .book .That the s3 was the best all round esprit in their eyes .i agree.When I look at a x180  its a stunning looking car also ..... So only time will tell....Mike

The cars which will be most prized in the future are likely to be the Guigiaro original designs, namely the S1 and the Turbo Esprit.

After the S1, Lotus made external and interior changes which deviated from Guigiaros original design, with its clean external lines and dramatic interior with the Lotus-branded instrumentation. Later on, Lotus added exterior bits such as the "ears" and changed the interior to use more "parts bin" fittings to reduce costs and did away with the complex "ridged" trim.

Guigiaro came back again to do the Turbo upgrade package, which included the ruched leather, roof stereo option and the body changes. Again, later on, Lotus did away with the ruched leather, probably because it was so difficult to produce, and the interior became more conventional. They also dropped the roof stereo option.

Maybe  because the s1 was put on the market before it was ready .Hence the upgrade to ears on the s2 to aid cooling .front spoiler to feed radiator etc ...trim etc .....more luxury interior from the s3 turbo models .But these cas retain  and improve on the s1 short  comings .just my take on it ....But hey they are all fantastic esprits...Mike

There is no doubt that some of the changes improved design flaws of the S1 but thats not the way classic cars work.

Apart from the E-Type mentioned above another example is the Ferrari 3x8. The most valuable cars by far are the very first fibreglass 308s. The cars were refined over the years and eventually all the bugs ironed out with the 328 but they are not as valuable as the first cars. 

@andreww is spot on. I'd add that changing fashion also meant updates t the interior.

The spoiler on the S2 was changed to improve high speed stability. I actually love the shark-like S2 spoiler. Though the early design of the S1 is part of aerodynamic history now, and possibly reinforces Andrew's comments.

Yet with another 80’s icon, the Lancia Integrale it seems counter intuitive. The original 8v car that introduced the Integrale name along with the blistered wheel arches can be picked up very cheaply despite the incredible rally success. The Evo 2 is the one that commands vastly bigger numbers despite never being rallied or even built by Lancia. They were also losing their showroom appeal by the mid 90’s which resulted in a raft of special editions, some of which can fetch over £100k. A nice 8v car can still be bought for well under £20k. There are very few good ones left now, I spent a while looking and gave up. A truly mint 8v would be a far rarer sight than a ‘Final Edition’, of which there are always a number for sale it seems!

I went to look at a white S2.2 for £5k years ago.  The car was in excellent condition and all original. As usual I couldn’t fit in the bloody thing.  And then the Seller asked if I was handy with a spanner, to which I replied no, and he said this isn’t the car for you.

• Haha 1

Yes Jonny I've lost count of the number of 'Final Edition' EVO Integrales' I've seen around........... and they all appear to stem from Japan for some reason?

I've mentioned on here before about how daft I find it that all of a sudden 'Vetroresina' 308's are apparently the Bee's Knee's and yet Norfolk 'Plastic' is so passe'.....................

That said I'd love a 308 GTB with 16" Speedlines and a deep front spolier!

Ur's not that I don't like the car, but I too, find the vetroresina talk overrated as the car, and the Esprit bodyshell making underrated.

I'd love a Sport300 or  GT1.

Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

• 1 month later...

£120k for a Sierra?  What a joke.  Looks like it's spent to much time in Halfords.  The Esprit should be way above this. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5688245/The-Ford-Sierra-Cosworth-RS500-chassis-001-going-sold-auction-May.html#comments

4BD0938800000578-0-image-a-25_1525369085

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark Blanchard said:

£120k for a Sierra?  What a joke.  Looks like it's spent to much time in Halfords.  The Esprit should be way above this. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5688245/The-Ford-Sierra-Cosworth-RS500-chassis-001-going-sold-auction-May.html#comments

4BD0938800000578-0-image-a-25_1525369085

Yes but...how can I put it...does it have something to do with the fact that average weight is on the increase and the esprit is 44" tall?