Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Handbrake warning light - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Handbrake warning light

Hi all.

Warning light stays on.  I always used to have to release the handbrake with a two-stage motion to get the light to go out but now it stays on all the time.  Because of its previous idiosyncrasy, I'm pretty convinced its just a dodgy switch.  Does anyone know where the actual switch is and how to access it?  I started to try to pull the carpet away from the handbrake but it's stuck on with some pretty heavy-duty glue so thought I'd check to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

20230407_140324.jpg

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I'm of zero help on the light probably but I really dig the gold wheels and stripe 😁❤️🤣 Have always wondered if I would want a stripe on mine if I ever had it repainted 🤔

I would think its an issue with a switch though on the light. I believe it is hidden down with the handbrake on my 97 from when I pulled the carpet on mine.

Car looks sweet, what colour is it, what are the wheels & how about some more pics?

Cheers,

John W

Thanks for the input.  Didn't realise the picture would come out so big - thought it would be thumbnail size.  I'll see if I can access the handbrake lever mechanism and go from there.

Colour is Mitsubishi Red Diamond.  Had it painted earlier this year. Used to be Calypso Red.  Went all-in and had the stripes painted too (not stick-ons).  Had previously had the wheels refurbished and went for the gold but it didn't really go with the original red, therefore the complete respray.  (Yeah, just to match the wheels - the things we do...!).  Here's a couple more pics:

20230407_140307.jpg

20230407_140254.jpg

We had the brake light stay on because of the little microswitch in the handbrake mechanism. After prying up the carpet, the fix was as easy as bending the actuator for better engagement. 👌

Be aware that the BRAKE icon can also be caused by a cracked engine bay vacuum pipe (due to fussing around during timing belt replacement, or other repairs).

Don't ask me how I know THAT, too. 😮

😶‍🌫️

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

1 hour ago, CarBuff said:

We had the brake light stay on because of the little microswitch in the handbrake mechanism. After prying up the carpet, the fix was as easy as bending the actuator for better engagement. 👌

Be aware that the BRAKE icon can also be caused by a cracked engine bay vacuum pipe (due to fussing around during timing belt replacement, or other repairs).

Don't ask me how I know THAT, too. 😮

😶‍🌫️

Interesting.  I've had a long term problem with the throttle 'hanging' intermittently and suspected a vacuum leak.  Previous handbrake light issue would suggest it is the microswitch, though.

• Gold FFM

With the drivers seat removed you'll be able to remove the footwell carpet and fold back the underseat floor carpet, that will enable you to lift the lower portion of the sill carpet enough to find the apertures in the sill for handbrake adjustment, and will give you access to the handbrake switch and wiring.

The top edge of the sill carpet is firmly attached to the bodywork with contact adhesive, and will most likely get damaged beyond repair if you attempt to get in that way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Steve V8 said:

With the drivers seat removed you'll be able to remove the footwell carpet and fold back the underseat floor carpet, that will enable you to lift the lower portion of the sill carpet enough to find the apertures in the sill for handbrake adjustment, and will give you access to the handbrake switch and wiring.

The top edge of the sill carpet is firmly attached to the bodywork with contact adhesive, and will most likely get damaged beyond repair if you attempt to get in that way.

Great advice.  Thanks.  The previous owner had thoughtfully replaced the seat nuts with galvanised or stainless nuts and washers so that should be an easy job.

Regards the throttle 'hanging':

Inspect the throttle cable both at the pedal and at the engine.  They can fray where they exit the sheath.

Yearly lubrication of the cable with a graphite oil (AKA Lock-Ease) is recommended.

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA