Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Recommended Lubricants by Lotus - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Recommended Lubricants by Lotus

joeyoesprit

• Gold FFM

Joey, try this

http://195.82.66.170/castrol/oilguide/index.php?id=1

maybe it can help to sort out...

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

i thougt this is the new number or version of TAX oil !?

• Gold FFM

fege,fege sauber mach....

Edited by G

TAF-X is proving very difficult to get and particularly difficult at short notice (before the weekend).

What is recommended as an alternative for the transmission oil when TAF-X is not an option?

cheers

-Chris

Kato

I noticed on the LEW that it lists Mobil 1 5W/50 or 5W/30 for the Lotus V8s; but I think it is out dated. I found this article on the Lotus web site about "Engien Oil." See link below and click on the engine oil PDF.

http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_aftsales...&page_id=38

According to this doc it says Lotus specifically recommends Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50, and Castrol Formula RS 10W/60 for the V8s.

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

Kato

I noticed on the LEW that it lists Mobil 1 5W/50 or 5W/30 for the Lotus V8s; but I think it is out dated. I found this article on the Lotus web site about "Engien Oil." See link below and click on the engine oil PDF.

http://www.grouplotus.com/car/car_aftsales...&page_id=38

According to this doc it says Lotus specifically recommends Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50, and Castrol Formula RS 10W/60 for the V8s.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Thanks for the links guys but these just confirm that I really want TAF-X which is frustrating as I don't seem to be able to get hold of it. Bell & Colvill are claiming Castrol is only going to supply 20ltr drums. This isn't much help if you only need 3ltrs.

I will just use a synthetic alternative of the correct grade until I can source the TAF-X.

cheers

-Chris

Thanks for the links guys but these just confirm that I really want TAF-X which is frustrating as I don't seem to be able to get hold of it. Bell & Colvill are claiming Castrol is only going to supply 20ltr drums. This isn't much help if you only need 3ltrs.

I will just use a synthetic alternative of the correct grade until I can source the TAF-X.

cheers

-Chris

I have a supply here, as it is readily available at the local motor-factor (ATU) in Germany. Not sure how best to get it to you though.... I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

I used Mobile 1 fully synthetic 75/90, and it seems to be working quite well. It actually shifts better since I've changed the tranny fluid. :rofl:

I also use Mobile ! 75W-90, though it is not good for the brass synchros... It will eventually eat into the brass. THough I change it every year. Car shifts great though.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• Gold FFM

Mike, ask the guys in "www.lotus-forum.de" (*jimibondy* and the others, you know....?! )

some of them want to come to visit lotus (factory day)

Try this:

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gear_oil/syn_gear7590.html

Available in GL-4. Available everywhere...Look at the Data sheet. Excellent substitute...

Try not to use GL-5 products. They are the one that seem to be damaging the brass...

Edited by Bernie

Try this:

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/gear_oil/syn_gear7590.html

Available in GL-4. Available everywhere...Look at the Data sheet. Excellent substitute...

Try not to use GL-5 products. They are the one that seem to be damaging the brass...

Is it ok for crownwheel and pinion use? Having transaxles, we need an oil that works for both the syncros and the crownwheel and pinion. There can be conflicting demands made on the additives where what works for the high pressure of the c/w becomes corrosive on the brass syncros and what works on them does not handle the high pressure of the c/w.

Check out Redline MTL specs, a GL4 oil which is suitable for transaxles.

DanR