Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Window glass adjustment - possible? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Window glass adjustment - possible?

I couldn't find anything previous about this subject, but hoping someone may have had to do this.  My car is an S2 but guess this applies equally to all G cars.

The glass completely stopped moving just before Christmas.  Assuming it was the motor, I took it apart - having then tested the motor with the glass removed, it worked fine (I have had it reconditioned anyway as it was out).

Having freed the glass (it was seized solid, no wonder the motor couldn't move it) it now moves freely at the lower part but then gets stiffer the higher it gets, and is now not locating within the frame as it reaches the top (I never noticed this before, I am guessing the door card may have compensated enough when in position for this to not be an issue).

Therefore, is it possible to either shim or adjust the angle of the window glass slider inside the door frame so I can get it running smoothly?

I would mention that the window frame had snapped when I got the car and has been re-welded, so it may not be at the absolute correct angle which may not be helping although I don't think its far out.

Also - whats everyone's thought on greasing the components - my pulley guides were greased but they seem to glide better without anything.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My blog on side window issues is here:

https://www.lotustalk.com/posts/5524522/

(The link is to a summary)

Don't know if the S2 is the same (I know that S4+ is different) but it mentions the issue of adjusting (shimming) the position of the lower guides.

If the segment gear pivot is the same, that may need to be freed-up and lubricated.

• Like 1

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

• Gold FFM

As far as I am aware, there are multiple shims which need to be fiddled with to get it to go up and down properly and this a time consuming job - the plastic / nylon guide wheels also wear and jam and I think from what I recall, need greasing to some extent. Some people also put silicon spray or similar in the felt guide channels to help with movement. Also, the relay mod for the window motors so the power is not all going through the window switches can also help in improving speed - there are various threads on this on the forum. I find my windows certainly slow in cold / damp conditions and often need a helping hand for the last 5mm or so - I will be doing the relay mod and a general strip and maintenance this year... 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I had the relay mod done when I got the car so its definitely the alignment which is the issue.  I could barely move the window using my own strength so no amount of electricity was going to cope with it.

I will have a play.

Make sure you shim it to work when the door is closed. On mine the glass doesn't follow the channel when the door is open but the frame is at the correct angle when the door is closed. Silicon spray on the felt makes for an easier glide on mine and silicone grease on the runners.

• Like 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

On 28/01/2024 at 07:13, peteyg said:

Silicon spray on the felt makes for an easier glide on mine and silicone grease on the runners.

I was told to AVOID silicone lubricants, as those will attract dirt.

Instead, apply a dry lubricant made for RV (Caravan) extensions..or house windows.  Available at home stores.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3-IN-ONE-3-IN-ONE-10OZ-RV-Win-and-TRCK-Dry-Lube/5000107627

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

@CarBuff makes perfect sense though I've not noticed any ill effects personally. Maybe it's not dusty enough here in the UK and we tend to drive around with the windows closed because it so cold and wet all the time 🤣

Pete

• Haha 1

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009

So was the window stubbornly stuck with motor and lift detached? One more thing to examine would be the state of gear teeth on the motor pinion and the regulator arm sector. I found notable wear on one of mine and attached a new sector segment to rectify.

Cheers