Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Soggy Carpets…. Not the windows - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Soggy Carpets…. Not the windows

Finally got the carport all built and finished to keep the evora noce and dry when possible. 

When I first got the car it was leaking by tracking along the door seals and then overflowing down the sills. The seal always had a puddle on it after raining. This is now fixed with repositioning of seals. 

I was convinced this had sorted the leaks until using the car for a couple of days in heavy rain. Now the drivers carpet is like a sponge, you can squeeze the water out of it. The water has very fine grit in it which makes me think it could be from spray from the wheels. 

With a lot of poking around and head under the dash I am pretty sure its getting in around the steering column as it is wet under this point to the floors. 

Any ideas on sealing? Would Silicone do it?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I had exactly that and used some silicone adhesive round the edge of the rubber seal between it and the bulkhead. Silicone sealant will eventually come away hence the use of adhesive.

• Like 1

Hi Gavin I have the same problem and my GT410 sport is going back to Chris Neils Thursday to try and fix again . Drivers footwell gets soaked and just about under warranty . Paul at CN,S thinks it may be  leaking at bulkhead . Only problem Lotus will not guarantee they will cover this if it's not leaking there so I've been forced to agree to stump the £660 cost for clam off and back on if Lotus won't pay .Hoping Paul can work his magic and get it sorted . I saw your car there a few weeks ago Gavin still looks mega. 

Edited by Jason Trevor

Gavin, did you apply sealant on the cabin side or outside of the bulkhead? It looks like with the lower undertray off you can get to the seal.

Ive just come back from Oakmere dropped my car off and your car Gavin still there , is it upgrade time or something gone wrong? Paul at Oakmere just told me Lotus are getting really awkward on warranty claims and they're not like they used to be . Fills me with confidence ha ha 

Started off as likely AC condenser replacement, which then transpired to corroded AC and oil pipes in the sill, then just as that was done the gearbox started playing up. It did it one before a couple of years ago then cleared. It's turned out to be bad corrosion on the gearbox connector. That in itself isn't the end of the world, however the plug on the loom is, the only official remedy is a new engine loom!

I had to take my GTE back to the factory very early on when the AC stopped working. They re-gassed it and sent me on my way. By the time I got 75% of the way home the fresh gas had already all leaked out, so I had to call them and take it back again. This time they replaced the condenser under warranty and all has been OK since, touch wood. As for warranty duration, we only got 6 months (“because it’s a Lotus Motorsport product”), but when my gearbox exploded after only 18 months, JMG himself authorised supply of a free-of-charge replacement ex GTE development unit, but I had to pay Lotus Silverstone to fit it, so it was still a pretty eye watering (albeit slightly discounted) labour charge of £1518 (+ VAT) plus all the parts (inc new clutch whilst the gearbox was out) and fluids.

4 hours ago, Jason Trevor said:

Ive just come back from Oakmere dropped my car off and your car Gavin still there , is it upgrade time or something gone wrong? Paul at Oakmere just told me Lotus are getting really awkward on warranty claims and they're not like they used to be . Fills me with confidence ha ha 

Hope you're successful, Paul couldn't get Lotus to flex on my warranty given the circumstances it had expired (they now are glued to the letter not the spirit) which I think from previous Lotus experience they would have done historically - and I saw @21gg 's car last week - first time seeing it, looked lovely! I was collecting parts to replace many rusty underpinnings 🙄

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my car is fixed ie water leaks . Been at Oakmere and front clam off with all the bulkhead sealed . It's had a good test parked outside the dealer for a week and im picking up tomorrow , just a shame Lotus will not honour the warranty and pay for the fix . Big bill coming my way hey ho!

• Like 1

Great to hear it's all fixed but yes a shame Lotus warranty isn't what it was. Did you have anything else done while the clam was off?

No had nowt else done and would probably do it myself  anyway  ( if owt needs doing ) I had just hoped Lotus would cover this . I had a previous Evora which I took clam off to replace wiper motor , radiator and air con condenser . I really enjoyed doing it 4 hours clam off 4 hours on . A lot quicker if I ever need to do again . Strangely satisfying 

• Like 1