Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Breaks Issue. X180. N/A. - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Breaks Issue. X180. N/A.

Fired up my X180 for the first time since November and went for a spin. After a few minutes sensed car was pulling to the left. After a few more minutes my wife said she could smell burning. Pulled over. Nearside front wheel smoking. Called for recovery and car now in my garage. Have an engineer coming to take a look on Wednesday. Any steers or ideas? Car had C service last summer. No warning lights. Events ruined my day....

Car has been in garage (warm) under cover since November.

That BRAKES not BREAKS... LOL

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Sounds like a seized brake caliper pin. May not even have to remove the piston from the caliper, just the slide pins the caliper rides on. Disassemble and clean it, may have to replace the rubber seals on the pin. Grease the pins up well before you assemble them again.

If you find the pin is absolutely seized, I'm pretty sure the x180 used calipers from a late 80's Toyota Celica. Could just replace the calipers all together. Double check the cross reference first though.

• Like 1

Don't ignore the possibility that the rubber brake hoses have failed.  They can swell on the inside and prevent the calipers from releasing.

Press the brakes a couple times, then spin the wheels. If you feel resistance, crack the brake bleeder for a second...if the wheel then turns, replace ALL the brake hoses.

• Like 2

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA

Thanks all. Got a mechanic coming to take a look tomorrow and will update on here the latest.

Update - a local mechanic took the wheel off - did a fiddle - cleaned everything up and now all OK. He has advised me to get brake hoses replaced at next service.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JR said:

Update - a local mechanic took the wheel off - did a fiddle - cleaned everything up and now all OK. He has advised me to get brake hoses replaced at next service.

Keep monitoring the temp of the wheel centers, after a drive. That nearside F wheel could still be heating up more than the other, but not enough to tell from just from braking. 😮

Atwell Haines

'88 Esprit

Succasunna, NJ USA