Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Faded paint work DIY or Pro ? - Detailing - Sponsored by ValetPro - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Faded paint work DIY or Pro ?

My spoiler on my 2010 Evora is fading in places looks sad 😥

see pic not great as trying to capture is difficult in the light ? 

can I do it myself by using my DA and products of re-spray myself using something I can be guided to use?

or is it a case of taking to Pro paint shop for treatment which will cost? 

any help advice gratefully received 

IMG_0539.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
31 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

re-spray myself

As is your previous topic about paint Clive, unless you're very experienced with this, have a spray booth and oven etc please don't attempt to paint any part of your car. Give it a gentle DA, pop some wax/ceramic on it and see how it comes up. If it's still poor, ask a paint shop for their thoughts/prices. 

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

The clear coat looks like it's crazing.  I'm also not sure that polishing would change this because its looks like its penetrated the clear coat layer.  I would say this is a re-spray job.  

However these are some of the things you could try.

Advanced Compound (valetPRO) could be used with your DA to polish this up. Go with a soft polish pad first just to see how it brings it up.  You might find that you get a temporary fix doing this. 

24Plus - Our ceramic coating - I've not tried it in this situation before so I am not sure what the out come will be.  But Our ceramic will revive faded plastic trim. You may find you get a similar effect with our ceramic coating on this paint work. 

However in both cases the crazing or Cracking of the clear coat will not go away with either option all I think you can hope for is to restore the colour.  If you polish deep enough to remove the crazing clear coat you will be through to the paint and this will likely bring inconsistent colour. 

Re-spray will fix the issue. The above options might just improve the finish/colour for you pass doing a re-spray.  

Hope this helps. If your in near East Sussex your welcome to pop over either to my home or our factory and we can have a play together and see if we can make an improvement on the finish.

• Thanks 1

All the Best

Greg

Thanks Greg 

I think it sounds a Pro job if it’s spoiler I guess this can be removed and treated (baked etc) then replaced back but I wonder if it will so shiny and out of place from rest of the car body ? 

How about some nice large Lotus / TLF stickers😀

• Haha 1

I considered this maybe a wrap ? My roof got wrap already as it masks some paint imperfections ? Nice call 👍🏻

if I used stickers/decals they would be fairly large to cover the area of the spoiler ? Any suggestions ? 

Actually I was not being too serious.... when I did some body work repair on one of the MG's I had, where my paint and filler met the original I put some large MG stickers.

Have  got a large Lotus sign on my rear spoiler...

image.jpeg.4a5527c0b5adaea148a62c1103d30c81.jpeg

• Haha 1