Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Mazda MX5 - Page 2 - Other - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Mazda MX5

Veloce_Rosso

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having quite extensively looked on the Internet since starting this thread, the power and 0-60 times vary so much, anything from 9.4-6.6 seconds.

Generally, as with all makes and models, there's a sweet spot for economy and performance. Which is the best choice for a MX5?

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Veloce_Rosso said:

Having quite extensively looked on the Internet since starting this thread, the power and 0-60 times vary so much, anything from 9.4-6.6 seconds.

Generally, as with all makes and models, there's a sweet spot for economy and performance. Which is the best choice for a MX5?

That's quite a broad question, as they have been made since 89, so you have quite a choice. Until recently (2019) no MX5 has been blisteringly fast. Then they introduced the 184bhp 2.0l engine, which as you've stated makes 60  in about 6.5secs....which is pretty respectable for something with under 200bhp.

Most of the older NBs and NCs were 1.8l with approx 150ish hp. Some later ones were 2.0l with a bit more. None fast at all....BUT, like a Lotus, it's not all about the straight line speed - it's about the twisty bits.

Personally, if you have the budget (and you are 6ft or under) I would find a nice ND (Mk4) as even the later 184bhp can get mid 40s mpg on a run. My 1.5L (132bhp) gets nearly 50mpg on a run. All to do with the nice low weight 😉

I would say the sweet spot is a late NC 2.0L (160bhp) - but some say these are not great handling wise as standard. 

I think the sweet spot for the ND is the 1.5....as you can literally thrash it to death, and still do legal speeds 😂 If you want a bit more oomph, then the 2019+ 2.0L

The purest to drive though are the original NA (Mk1). But like all the models, it's main enemy is rust. All will have had some work by now, with varying degrees of competence...so some repairs might not last. Even the NDs corrode underneath, so many owners regularly treat the underside.

Finding a really good Mk1 is difficult now - unless you want the spend a bit of money....

• Thanks 1

There is plenty of buying guides out there, and nothing better than to try some and make your own mind up.

From some reading, my conclusions would be the following:

NA is probably going up in value now but it is getting a bit older and “rustic” for current users . Some say that the 90 bhp is the best. I don’t know.

NB is the ugly duck but is supposed to be better than the NA, except that it does not have the lifting main lights… NB 2 (facelift) had some improvements over the initial NB and looks a bit better in my view, so the upgraded 1.8 l 146 bhp, would be my choice (I still own one!).

NC was heavier and less MX-5 like for “purists”.

ND seems the return to the original recipe. If I could I would probably choose an ND 2L with the improved 184 bhp output engine. But a lot of people, say, as above, that the1.5l is the one to go for.

Rust can indeed be an area of concern so look carefully under the car, around the wheel arches, etc..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The roof was much improved on the NC, much easier to put up down from in the car compared to the earlier ones but the PRHT is one of the fastest roofs in the business, they're very quick up and down and I think one of the fastest on any car! The drain holes for the roof can easily become blocked in the pipes and water will sit in the inner cill and rust them out, you can only really tell once the outer cill is rusted too but to be fair it's not a terrible job, nothing on them is expensive really. A trumpet cleaner from above or below will clean them out and is an MX5 essential in my experience of them. 

I used http://www.freelancemazda.co.uk/ locally and never had a bill over £200! 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

8 hours ago, DanR said:

Do you want standard or something to modify?

Standard.

Even though I would class myself as a petrol head (5 Alfas since 2006), I'm more of a purist. The only upgrades or mods I would consider would be for safety and not for performance reasons.

Seems a bit nuts talking about a Mazda on a Lotus forum. 

Think I'll carry out more research before making anymore additional posts on this subject.

Thank you all for your collective contributions. I'll only update it if or when something spikes my interest.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
32 minutes ago, Veloce_Rosso said:

Seems a bit nuts talking about a Mazda on a Lotus forum. 

Think I'll carry out more research before making anymore additional posts on this subject.

Thank you all for your collective contributions. I'll only update it if or when something spikes my interest.

No problem. I think you'll find quite a few Lotus owners will have quite a broad experience of other marques - and have probably tried (like me) many before settling on the magic that is a Lotus. I myself have lots of other loves, from old MGs to Type R Hondas, to lots of semi-exotic RWD Japanese sports cars. There's nothing like a Lotus though IMHO, and thats exactly what Mazda was trying to do - capture the essence of a light, cheap, fun rear drive sports car.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM
19 hours ago, Arregueti said:

ND seems the return to the original recipe. If I could I would probably choose an ND 2L with the improved 184 bhp output engine. But a lot of people, say, as above, that the1.5l is the one to go for.

It may tell you something about the smaller engined car that last year when I was looking for an MX5, I test drove the 1.5 and 184bhp 2.0L cars back to back....and I still chose the 1.5... 😉

• Like 2

Well, had a good couple of hours Mazdaing it. Went to see two but only drove one. 

The one I drove was a 2007 1.8. They feel quite nice to drive, although the gearbox took a lot of getting used to - the gears are so closely grouped, instead of going from 2nd to 3rd I went straight into 5th gear. After a few gear changes I got used to it.

The sills are a MOT advisory due to rust, but the rest of the body seemed very clean & rust free, inc the wheel arches.

The leather seats & bolsters need a bit of TLC and the gear knob has seen better days.

The car is in standard form other than he's fitted Bluetooth.

The 2013 one is a hard top and there is rust bubble around the bottom of the roof. Couldn't be bothered to drive it after he told me I couldn't park my car in his parking bay - he is a back street Arthur Daley.

How did the 2007 version drive? Quite nice, the steering was precise and it handled the bends well; no clonks from the suspension - nothing nasty. However, I'm not sure, given the reputation, whether I was expecting too much from a £3500 85k miles car, but I wasn't blown away by the driving experience. Nothing wrong with it, just didn't have the X factor I hoped for.

That's a solid price for a 17 year old MX5 and the rust on the outer sill means the inner sill be probably be all but gone. They do have an excellent gearchange, you're pretty much straight into the gearbox, no rods or cables. 

• Like 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I don't buy this magazine, but apparently Evo (Feb edition) devoted a section called the 'Greatest Misses' and they devoted some space for the MK3 MX5, the version I drove. The earlier marques, up to 2005 were the best as well as the 2015 onwards cars. The MK3 was improved but based on my experience, not enough.

The suspension on the one I drove was fine. That said, I was a little disappointed with cornering. I was expecting better from a low slung two seater. Put it this way, my 156 Sportwagon 2.0 powered felt more reassuring around the tight, twisty Surrey lanes.

And although power and performance isn't the be all, 0-60 on the Mazda is 9 secs, while my SW has a sub 8 secs. And the Mazda felt like it was lacking too.

Perhaps I was expecting too much, having driven my daughter's 2007 Mini Cooper, with a Peugeot built engine, and now the MX5, I appreciate more how good Alfa Romeos are to drive - purposeful, sure-footed & very driver focused.

Although you need to spend more money on upkeep and to buy, why choose a Elan-esque over a genuine Elan? 

Fair enough if it is not for you, but you are comparing apples and pears, IMO. For starters, the Alfa you know by heart, the Mazda you don’t, which must have an impact in your confidence. Plus, smaller cars behave differently, by definition. They just react differently. For illustration purposes, having driven both, my Evora is much more sure footed than an Elise, but then it has wider tracks and is designed with a different use in mind.

IMO, the Mx-5 is clearly a “momentum” car. You tend to catch up with “faster” cars in the bends but it is not a giant killer.

Playful or sure footed, what are you looking for? 

Just my two cents (and to keep the ball rolling in this nice thread).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanR said:

Found you one. At this boost level they become insane. But if properly mapped can be docile enough to give your grandmother. f3nw5b84tr4ta1tu5oxf59ei9.jpg?pxc_method=gravityfill&pxc_bgtype=self&pxc_size=900%2c600https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-mazda-mx-5-se-nb-series-4-manual/SSE-AD-13688793/?Cr=0

Thank you. Looks a sassy example. Had a shed load of work carried out but it looks like it's abroad.

Totally understand the Mazda and Alfa are different but I have no other car, apart from my daughter's Mini Cooper, to compare it with.

Playful or sure footed? Bit of both really. It's hard to explain unless you've driven both.

The GT 3.2 is a beast. These fast FWD Alfas can go wild, but I've had a Quaife limited slip diff fitted or Q2. The handling is dynamic without fear of wrapping it around a tree.

I will try and test another MX5, either newer or one of the original models.

• Like 1

The suspension on the Mk 3 NC can be sorted by changing to Meister coilovers.

• Like 2

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

Just received a text from the 2007 I test drove. He's dropped the price to 3k from 3.5k. I wouldn't be interested mainly due to the rust on the inner cills. Unless you guys think it's a bargain bucket price.