Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A Kimbers Poll! Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot - Page 2 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A Kimbers Poll! Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot

Kimbers

Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It does seem the whole world has gone to sh*t... everyone I speak to on the subject seems to come up with the same general answer of "well xxx used to be pretty nice in the (name recent decade) but it's gone downhill a lot since..."

...then usually they relunctantly conclude: "maybe better the grey damp miserable devil you know?"

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

@Slotus Ice cream shop in Ibiza? :loveicecream::happydance:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

58 minutes ago, Slotus said:

...then usually they relunctantly conclude: "maybe better the grey damp miserable devil you know?"

I have never found dull grey and damp wins out to warm sunny and much cheaper. I can eat fresh food for half the price In Cyprus. Veg's, Salads, Cured meats etc all much much cheaper.

They don't have cows on the Island but their Fillet Steak is nearly half the price.

They don't make scotch whiskey but their Jonny Walker is £14 a bottle.

When I eat out I nearly always have fresh fish or shellfish. Huge plate of Calamari, King Prawns, Mussells and Octopus, with Chips for 2 and Greek Salad for 2 £14.

What is expensive? Erm..........

Their version of our council tax is £300 a year...oh wait....no.

Their Fuel is e135 a litre.....oh wait......erm

Ahhhh Yes! Their housing is around £250k for a 3 bed villa with land and a pool........... oh wait.

Why wouldn't you retire to places like that?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

29 minutes ago, Kimbers said:

Is the healthcare free? If not, how do you access and at what cost?

What happens as you age and need support (help) with care etc? Is it accessible and affordable?

Do they have a robust and trusted legal structure, especially around property, land, etc?

These would be my primary concerns when moving abroad at a later life stage. Everything else is reasonably inconsequential assuming you are not moving somewhere that is a magnet for earthquakes, tsunamis or hurricanes...

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

Healthcare is free at entry but you pay a minimal fee for some. But we are not talking America here more Australia/NZ level.

Used to be a British Colony so healthcare, Social system etc very much based on UK but with a more modern flavour.

Stop me and buy one!!

2 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Healthcare is free at entry

If you get permanent residency status?

I bet that goes down as well there as it does for immigrants here?

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

4 hours ago, ramjet said:

@Slotus Ice cream shop in Ibiza? :loveicecream::happydance:

Sounds like a plan... love ice cream! (which might be an issue with the profit margins and my waistline 😂 )

But in all seriousness, yes, that kind of small business that can be run with just a couple of staff would suit... low stress levels is what you need for a retirement business!

4 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I have never found dull grey and damp wins out to warm sunny and much cheaper. I can eat fresh food for half the price In Cyprus. Veg's, Salads, Cured meats etc all much much cheaper.

They don't have cows on the Island but their Fillet Steak is nearly half the price.

They don't make scotch whiskey but their Jonny Walker is £14 a bottle.

When I eat out I nearly always have fresh fish or shellfish. Huge plate of Calamari, King Prawns, Mussells and Octopus, with Chips for 2 and Greek Salad for 2 £14.

What is expensive? Erm..........

Their version of our council tax is £300 a year...oh wait....no.

Their Fuel is e135 a litre.....oh wait......erm

Ahhhh Yes! Their housing is around £250k for a 3 bed villa with land and a pool........... oh wait.

Sounds good so far...

The healthcare thing is a concern anywhere, and old-age care (especially if no family with you) of course... Having seen the disgraceful way the NHS treated both my parents, leading (I suspect the investigations/inquest will conclude) to their increased suffering and earlier than should have been deaths, I have the best private health insurance I could find. Of course you pay loads of money into it in the hope you never have to use it! - and so I would look to do the same if I were to move somewhere else.

As to the old-age thing... who knows... maybe a Lotus-powered Thelma and Louise exit?!

8 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

If you get permanent residency status?

I bet that goes down as well there as it does for immigrants here?

Last year (which is why I couldn't find a place to buy) they had a golden residency ticket for a £250k Asset (including house) investment. Think its more this year. 

Stop me and buy one!!

300k Eur but has to be a new build property bought from a developer. Just checked ;) and you need to have a secured income from outside Cyprus (e.g. pension, investment income)

So just found this:

"Cost of Living in Cyprus vs UK. Life in Cyprus is generally a lot cheaper than that in the United Kingdom and other European countries. If you do a quick comparison, you'll find that the actual living costs are around 57% lower in the Republic than in the United Kingdom."

And this

"of the 167,000 non Cypriot Citizens in the Republic nearly 60,000 are UK expats followed by Greek, Romanian, Filipino and Bulgarians. The number of UK residents has grown from 26,600 in 2011 to 57360 in 2022."

So nearly 10% of the population is British. They love the Brits who live out there, not so keen on the Brits on the piss from what some of my mates there tell me. They love older people and Families but the young drunk holiday makers spoil their peace I think :) 

13 minutes ago, Slotus said:

Sounds good so far...

The healthcare thing is a concern anywhere, and old-age care (especially if no family with you) 

You think its any better here mate? They just saved my moms life after she had Heart Failure. they were Awesome but thats only because my wife is a nurse of 20 years and my Daughter a Doctor and they told me everything I needed to say and do to get the best care. if someone who knows nothing had tried to do it she wouldn't even have got an ambulance on the hurryup! Would have been 4 hours and they said she would have been dead in 1.

Stop me and buy one!!

The other conccern is do they have any decent Lotus and Aston garages? 😁 - I'm no good at the oily bits, never had time to learn. 

• Like 1

...there might be some hope then!

16 hours ago, Bibs said:

@Cos would know, he's Cypriot with many Esprits! 

And in that case @Cos I'm over in July so expect to see you for a beer!

• Like 1

Stop me and buy one!!

23 hours ago, C8RKH said:

300k Eur but has to be a new build property bought from a developer. Just checked ;) and you need to have a secured income from outside Cyprus (e.g. pension, investment income)

A minimum of 50,000 per year

• Shock 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong