Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
A Kimbers Poll! Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot - General Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

A Kimbers Poll! Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot

Kimbers

Would you leave Behind Everything to live a simple but chilled life somewhere hot  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is a genuine question. I saw the pic below on Facebook and said to Wendy "You wouldn't see me for dust, what do you think?"

You see Wendy wouldn't. She is risk averse and would worry about the kids, what happens if something goes wrong, etc etc etc.

I personally (and I have done this before) would quit my job and just go instantly if Wendy would allow. I can sort finance and stuff out. Rent the House out let it pay its own mortgage and live somewhere like the below pic. I'd sort enough to live on easily, I have before.

I would likely miss the kids for a few weeks but they can come see us if they really want! If they don't then....meh!!

But would you? Not just for a week. Up and off?

No photo description available.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Stop me and buy one!!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I must say having just purchased VW camper I can begin to understand the freedom of van life you see on u tube 

however I do enjoy my Hifi music , my bed, my couch and watching sports on TV , my twice weekly footy & of course driving my Evora ! 🤔

• Like 1

There is an old saying "the grass isn't always greener"  

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

My family said that to me and I stayed in the Canaries for well over a year.

They also said that repeatedly when I spent 3 years or so bumming around Malaysia and the surrounding areas.

I'd still be at both now If I hadn't met someone and come back to date them.

I have found the grass is nearly always greener.

Stop me and buy one!!

@Kimbers, that place in the picture. Hell yes. I would happily see out my days somewhere like that. If the wife didn't want to join me, then she'd be welcome to come and visit.

When we were in South Africa (Western Cape) last month, we looked at this place - to buy for our retirement. It's half the price of our house in Scotland and a 5 minute walk to the beach. We almost put the offer in there and then.

We're going again next February for a holiday and to house hunt. I'd move tomorrow but have an elderly mother I couldn't just leave, so timing is not right. The kids are both on their own journeys, have bought their own houses. At some point you, as parents, need to realise that they need to be left to live their own lives, you cannot do it for them.

image.png.c8291de4a76e871d35e5eda25e69bf89.png

image.png.e8b353e5fc5b6d48b3b6d2a98c5902ee.png

image.png.ebbadf0fc606d413314caa3f857cca36.png

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I wouldn't look at SA. It has been going downhill for 20 years, and is a bit of a powder leg waiting to explode. Too many promises of what freedom would be that haven't been delivered. 

I would look at other bits of Africa, Zambia in particular, this is the current up coming country, have been twice in the last year, and probably back there in May.

Would also look at Uganda, where I lived for 11 years, but only once the current regime has changed as, again, it might become nasty. 

Western Cape for me. Love it. There are tensions in SA of course but then tension seems to be everywhere.

To be honest, it feels to me like the UK is a powder keg as our politicians sink lower and lower in their quality and standards. People are increasingly selfish and entitled. And immigrants who want to come here seem to want to convert it to their native country as opposed to recognising our culture and values.

Us native Brits are just as guilty of that last point. Look at some of the British immigrants to parts of France, Spain, Portugal etc who create their "British" communes with their British pubs, bridge clubs, Etc. as opposed to fully embracing a new way of life and culture.

• Like 1

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

I think I will be leaving this country at some point. It has drastically changed for the worse over the years. 

My eldest son graduated university in September and now has a job in Greece. Apparently, all the best jobs in the fields of finance and commodities have moved abroad since Brexit. The new hubs seem to be Amsterdam, Paris and Geneva. Most of the the big firms were recruiting in the UK for graduate roles in those cities. 

He is 5 months into the job and he says he is the happiest he has ever been. He loves the job but also the weather and lifestyle. Even in January, when cold, the sun is always out and you can still sit by the sea with a warm coat and have a coffee. This weekend he is going to the beach.  He says he never wants to come back to the UK!

I will wait to see what happens to the younger son and may follow them. 

• Like 1

Long time Lotus admirer, recent owner

• Gold FFM
16 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@Kimbers, that place in the picture. Hell yes. I would happily see out my days somewhere like that. If the wife didn't want to join me, then she'd be welcome to come and visit.

When we were in South Africa (Western Cape) last month, we looked at this place - to buy for our retirement. It's half the price of our house in Scotland and a 5 minute walk to the beach. We almost put the offer in there and then.

We're going again next February for a holiday and to house hunt. I'd move tomorrow but have an elderly mother I couldn't just leave, so timing is not right. The kids are both on their own journeys, have bought their own houses. At some point you, as parents, need to realise that they need to be left to live their own lives, you cannot do it for them.

image.png.c8291de4a76e871d35e5eda25e69bf89.png

image.png.e8b353e5fc5b6d48b3b6d2a98c5902ee.png

image.png.ebbadf0fc606d413314caa3f857cca36.png

Out of interest @C8RKH how much is a place like that?

The one I showed, you would get change from £250k. 4/5 beds.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine is moving to Spain this year, him and his missus have bought a house there. Neither of them can speak the lingo, and despite being retired, he went back to work after two years cos he couldn't stand being at home staring at the old woman all day. However without the lingo skills, he won't get a job there, so if he does get work it will have to be in the black economy working for other expats.

The heat in Spain in summer is crippling, I've been enough times in the past to attest to it, but his wife moans it's too hot in the UK in summer, so she'll be housebound when the ambient gets up to the average 40C. They're taking the dog, which is a fat old Husky cross, and I'd give it about a week before it bakes in the heat and expires shortly after. They both like a drink, and in my opinion the likelihood is that the pair of them will drink themselves into an early grave, due to them not having anything to do all all day, apart from stare at the TV, and post shit on Facebook.

My wife doesn't like Spain at all, and I'm not that fussed, however they're already banging on about us going to see them, which ain't gonna happen. They seem to think that they're going to have all their friends visiting them on a regular basis, but I reckon that isn't gonna happen, either.

I won't be leaving the UK any time. Some people think their problems can be solved by moving to a different country, but they might well end up with a different set instead. And if we're talking politicians, then don't for one moment think that politicians in different countries to the UK are pillars of moral integrity, 'cos they're no different.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Margate Exotics.

19 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

The heat in Spain in summer is crippling, I've been enough times in the past to attest to it, but his wife moans it's too hot in the UK in summer, so she'll be housebound when the ambient gets up to the average 40C.

I have spent 3 years in Malaysia where its well over 30 degrees at night and Humidity is a stifling 95%. I loved it.

A Year and a half in Canary islands and It was like a cake walk. The thing Brits forget is that if you have a pool or access to one you cool down very quickly.

And 40 degrees is ideal. I love to go for a run in Cyprus and We went for a 3 mile walk on the hottest day of the year in Cyprus last year, 46 degrees. We spent the day exploring ruins and ended up in a lovely bar half way up a mountain we had just walked up. As long as you have water and a hat 40 degrees is fine! I definitely wouldn't call it crippling! The humidity tends to be low in Mediterranean countries so I find it doesn't feel as hot as 30 degrees in the UK!

Walking in 46 degree heat:

• Like 1

Stop me and buy one!!

• Gold FFM

For some reason Kimbers, I can't see your picture in your first post.

• Confused 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

4 hours ago, Kimbers said:

I have spent 3 years in Malaysia where its well over 30 degrees at night and Humidity is a stifling 95%. I loved it.

A Year and a half in Canary islands and It was like a cake walk. The thing Brits forget is that if you have a pool or access to one you cool down very quickly.

And 40 degrees is ideal. I love to go for a run in Cyprus and We went for a 3 mile walk on the hottest day of the year in Cyprus last year, 46 degrees. We spent the day exploring ruins and ended up in a lovely bar half way up a mountain we had just walked up. As long as you have water and a hat 40 degrees is fine! I definitely wouldn't call it crippling! The humidity tends to be low in Mediterranean countries so I find it doesn't feel as hot as 30 degrees in the UK!

Walking in 46 degree heat:

If you like it so much, how come you’re not already in Cyprus? Putting a Kimbers poll up about it kind of tells me there’s a stumbling block somewhere!

Margate Exotics.

On 12/04/2024 at 15:24, Kimbers said:

You see Wendy wouldn't. She is risk averse and would worry about the kids, what happens if something goes wrong, etc etc etc.

@Chillidoggy I did consider divorce but that may be a bit extreme.

Stop me and buy one!!

Not long before the whole plandemic farce kicked off, I'd decided I'd had quite enough of the UK, and especially the direction of travel thereof. My stress levels were stupidly high for various reasons, and I decided I needed to explore opportunities elsewhere. Having weighed up various factors, I considered the best option for me to at least explore/eliminate first was USA. I'd planned to have a week or so holiday in Vegas, something I'd wanted to do for years, taking in sights like the Grand Canyon, plus a few shows etc. - I'm not into gambling, just as a total distraction and switch-off from "normal life". Then I'd planned to go on to California for another week and check in with a few agencies etc. to see what job opportunites were like with regards getting a work visa for a year or so (besides my business I work freelance in TV & Film) - as long as I could find a job that would pay to live for a while I wasn't too bothered in job title/status, more being a case of experiencing the reality and seeing if I wanted to live there.

...anyway...

Unfortunately it was literally within days of making that decision and me looking at booking flights etc. that Mum was rushed into hospital with as it turned out pretty serious cancer. Battled on for couple of years, but due mainly to NHS willful incompetence, the battle was lost. Inquest still pending well over 3 years later. Just as we lost Mum, Dad went rapidly downhill too, lost him early last year.

So having taken on a bit of a carer role for past few years kinda screwed up my plans, to put it mildly. Such is life. Still sorting out the aftermath, inquests and invetigations into both ongoing, probate stuff etc. etc. - you know what it's like if you've been through it.

Now I effectively have no ties, it would be easier than ever to up sticks to somewhere warmer, and due to the perma-damp-grey weather of the UK, and the slum-state the establiment is rapidly trying to drag the country down to, I'm actively thinking again.

The question is where might be good now? As far as I can see the USA is being deliberately destroyed as fast as the UK, so not sure that's much of an option any more. I don't think I'm one to retire and just sit on a beach and do nothing... I'd be bored witless after a week... so needs to be either somewhere I could get a job, or run a small (relatively) stress-free business. Oh, and somewhere that has at least a few days of warm blue skies a year!!!

Any ideas?

...answers on a postcard please 😊

Oh, and I guess that would make me option 2 on the poll!

An awful lot of Americans are now seemingly immigrants Baja California in Mexico. The immigration problem north to south seemingly not creating the same news headlines as South to North 

The town of Ensenada and the coast around it seems appealing. Looks like many Americans feel the same way about 'Murica that we do about the Disunited Kingdom.

On 14/04/2024 at 15:12, Chillidoggy said:

A good friend of mine is moving to Spain this year, him and his missus have bought a house there. Neither of them can speak the lingo, and despite being retired, he went back to work after two years cos he couldn't stand being at home staring at the old woman all day. However without the lingo skills, he won't get a job there, so if he does get work it will have to be in the black economy working for other expats.

The heat in Spain in summer is crippling, I've been enough times in the past to attest to it, but his wife moans it's too hot in the UK in summer, so she'll be housebound when the ambient gets up to the average 40C. They're taking the dog, which is a fat old Husky cross, and I'd give it about a week before it bakes in the heat and expires shortly after. They both like a drink, and in my opinion the likelihood is that the pair of them will drink themselves into an early grave, due to them not having anything to do all all day, apart from stare at the TV, and post shit on Facebook.

My wife doesn't like Spain at all, and I'm not that fussed, however they're already banging on about us going to see them, which ain't gonna happen. They seem to think that they're going to have all their friends visiting them on a regular basis, but I reckon that isn't gonna happen, either.

I won't be leaving the UK any time. Some people think their problems can be solved by moving to a different country, but they might well end up with a different set instead. And if we're talking politicians, then don't for one moment think that politicians in different countries to the UK are pillars of moral integrity, 'cos they're no different.

If ever there was a slow motion car crash that sounds like one I'm afraid.

It's everything I hate about the "typical" expat and their life choices.

18 hours ago, Slotus said:

Any ideas?

...answers on a postcard please 😊

Oh, and I guess that would make me option 2 on the poll!

Thailand is meant to be nice, we have a friend out there who got a lovely 3 bed villa with a pool for less than £250,000.

Cyprus is not just about the beaches. TBH I would love to have a little business out there but I'm lazy and having worked in the Rental Industry for 17 years I reckon I would end up working part time at a car hire place. There's loads of opportunities out there for Brits as an Ex Colony and its all English Speaking. 

Have you looked at Canada? Easier to work than USA due to being commonwealth country.

Know Several People who have moved to Costa Rica and loved every second.

Obviously there's Australia if you meet the emigration Criterea money or career wise.

Italy. I worked in Italy for a while and its super welcoming for Brits and only took me 2 weeks to sort my permits etc out once I was out there....... yes I didn't plan, I jumped on a plane and made it up as I went.

Stop me and buy one!!

10 hours ago, Kimbers said:

Thailand is meant to be nice, we have a friend out there who got a lovely 3 bed villa with a pool for less than £250,000.

Cyprus is not just about the beaches. TBH I would love to have a little business out there but I'm lazy and having worked in the Rental Industry for 17 years I reckon I would end up working part time at a car hire place. There's loads of opportunities out there for Brits as an Ex Colony and its all English Speaking. 

Have you looked at Canada? Easier to work than USA due to being commonwealth country.

Know Several People who have moved to Costa Rica and loved every second.

Obviously there's Australia if you meet the emigration Criterea money or career wise.

Italy. I worked in Italy for a while and its super welcoming for Brits and only took me 2 weeks to sort my permits etc out once I was out there....... yes I didn't plan, I jumped on a plane and made it up as I went.

I couldn't stand the wokeness of Canada... seems even worse than here (hard to believe that's possible!)

Italy or Cyprus not a bad idea... bit nearer to pop back and forth now and again to see the niblings... or vice-versa - I shall have to do a bit of research.

• Like 1

In Italy everyone talks about the West Coast, Sorento Amalfi etc. But If you look at the East Coast Prices can be much cheaper. Go 20 mins inland and you can nab an absolute bargain!

Stop me and buy one!!

From what I've seen, yes to Mediterranean locales and high marks for New Zealand which we found resoundingly appealing. Yep to Canadian wokeness, though it's way amplified by media just as are America's troubles. Sorry but media have a great deal to answer for at this juncture in history. Mexico, again as amplified by media, continues to seem relatively lawless in the same way most Latin American countries do though that does not stop many of our citizenry seeking property down there. Incidentally, select banana republics south of Mexico have turned out to be appealing for both Canadian and American whackjobs seeking refuge from the impending apocalypse(s). I suppose nothing promotes peace of mind like a hoard of guns, ammo, dried food, bottled water and camo outfits stashed in some frontier bush camp.

As to Canada realistically, we lately had a reckoning while strolling the prime waterfront of Vancouver, long regarded as a world level destination. This was just weeks after our month long explorations in NZ and the contrast was striking. We approached from where parked to the east of Gastown which, though tourist magnet billed as the site where Van was founded, looks altogether shabby and certainly more so than 40 years ago. Not at all unlike most public spaces in this town where I regard the inflows of capital over recent decades to have been plundering the commonwealth. (small "c" intended.) So much for progress in this town. By comparison most everywhere in NZ we found things to be in fine shape and a populace looking remarkably well kept and well adjusted. Bet there are some hurdles to clear making way there as resident but it would be  an easy sell were I not attached to my people here.

Cheers

I spent a month in New Zealand in 1977. But it’s difficult to comment on the quality of the local scenery from the inside of a taxi cab and the Whangerei Hotel’s public bar.

New Zealand was the car theft capital of the world a year or so ago.

Margate Exotics.