Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Trip to the UK - Seeking recommendations - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Trip to the UK - Seeking recommendations

US native with a 400 converted to GT430 spec coming to the UK in August for a family wedding.

This would be my first 'pilgrimage' to the 'homeland' since owning the Evora and feeling awestruck. Nothing confirmed but most likely only got 2 weeks including the days for the wedding and have so much I'd like to do. I've been to the UK many times and planning to drive.

For now, planning to do the following: 

- Hethel factory tour

- Lotus driving academy

- Visit South West Lotus (they supplied most of my parts for the 430 conversion)

- Visit Allon White Sports cars (they custom made my carbon seats)

- Visit Bell & Colvill and if possible, another large Lotus dealer (thinking Lotus of Silverstone)

- Visit 1-2 Lotus buddies if possible/available

- Any Lotus owner gatherings if schedules align. 

Would like to emphasize, it is my absolute goal to see an Exige 410, 420 or 430 and a 3 eleven, and would be a dream to get the chance to drive one (if someone would be gracious enough to lend one or most likely thinking a test drive at a dealer). Would be awesome to rent any if possible.

I know it sounds like a jam packed itinerary but I've been waiting for a while for an opportunity like this...realistically probably too ambitious.

That being said, wanted to get some feedback from the locals as to if I'm missing something or if there's something you'd highly recommend from the list above. I'm not very familiar with the classic cars so might have to hold off on the classic heritage tours/items just due to time.

Edited by Jedifar

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Wedding is in Wales/near Cardiff. Will be staying with family there but planning to do my own 'excursion' to do the above in the days leading to the wedding. 

Its an ambitious plan but has been in the works for a few years. Relatively speaking, England is as big as a few of the states here so the distances don't really seem to bother me. 

Goodwood Motor Circuit is well worth a visit if you're close by on your travels. Aside from the circuit there's an aerodrome on the infield with a café overlooking the circuit and grass airstrip. It's usually free to drive into the estate and there are often track days on during the week so, depending when you visit you might see something going round the track. You can normally wander around the pits too and look at any of the cars that are there on the day.

• Like 1

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

@Jedifar it's not necessarily the distance that is the issue. Our roads are a lot smaller (width and number of lanes) and what seem like a quick 50 miles on the map can translate easily into a 2 hour journey.

That's what you need to bear in mind, especially in the South West etc...

• Like 2

I came into this world screaming and covered in someone elses blood. I'll probably leave it in the same way. 

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'm aware, I've driven on at least 3 separate trips, mostly southern country side and multiple trips to and from London to Wales and a tour of Ireland (from Dublin down the country to the ring of Kerry and up north to the cliffs of moher and back) so I'm familiar with what to expect. That and being on vacation touring Lotus sites should give me more patience than a local commuting would. I've always loved the UK and don't take any time spent there for granted. 

• Like 1

South West Lotus have their own GT430 - which is not road legal and a left hand drive auto.  Club Lotus SW have a monthly (ish) meet usually somewhere in Devon or Cornwall. https://www.facebook.com/groups/clublotussouthwest/events

SW England can be very busy in August, just needs a little accident on one of the 2 main roads SW of Exeter and can be delays.

(One thing is sure though you would not be able to visit the Lotus dealer in Exeter.)

• Love 1

Thanks for the feedback, I am planning to notify all the sites well in advance of my visit so I can plan accordingly and know what to expect. 

My real big question is, is there any realistic chance I have of driving a 430 cup either from a generous owner or a dealer? 

Only one I know of for sale at the moment is at Lotus Silverstone  it may have been on sale in the past.

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10639163 but  has hardly been used.

Sorry I meant Exige 430 cup, since I've never seen one. That one is my top priority... pretty much the biggest reason I got an evora and converted it as that's the closest we'd get here. 430 cup final edition is actually legal in the US through an import exception, I'd hope to own one one day so this would be a taste.

But gt430 drive/ ride is still on the list...Exige 430, 3 eleven, then gt430 is the list for now.