Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Don't auto park!!!!! OMG! - Eletre & Emeya Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Don't auto park!!!!! OMG!

So, this week, I updated my Eletre to 1.5.0. There were no big changes to the digital key, as I have an Android phone. As I parked my Eletre at the local gym tonight, my son asked if I had used the self-park feature. I have owned Teslas for 7 years and found that self-park with those items was slow and only worked in the easiest-to-park situations, so I rarely used it. Back to my Lotus at the gym, I had already aligned into a parking bay with cars on either side of me. I needed to move maybe 2 meters straight back to be perfectly in the allotted space. I thought: "OK, let's give this a go" and pressed the self-park icon. My car started to move, drove the 2 meters, and slammed straight into the poor Tesla parked in the bay behind me. 

After pressing self-park, I didn’t touch a control, and now I face an insurance claim that could cost thousands. Will @lotus cover the costs of its total incompetence?

Edited by SteveLow
  • Sad 1
  • Shock 1

If you were using it as per the manuals/instructions then surely they should. Have you contacted them?

You may have additional rights under the Sale if Goods act as items sold need to work as described, be fit for purpose, be free of defects, etc.

One thing to find out would be what is stored by the cars computers. If you can get a "dump" that shows everything was used properly, with no additional driver inputs etc then you should have a solid case.

Good luck 

There's a reason why I DON'T like all this new tech in my cars. I know lots of people get very excited by it and love it, but me, I'll back my own skill and judgement over any dipshit computer programmer, every time. Worked in IT since 1985, seen a lot of bad code lol ....

God doesn't want me, and the Devil isn't finished with me yet.

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

• Gold FFM

Sorry mate that is never going to happen, there will be in the T&C's somewhere that it is an assistant and you need to be in full control of the car at all times. I am not saying that is right but I bet it is in there somewhere 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am sure you're right Dan, hence my asking about ensuring it was used "by the book" etc.

As you know I'm not a fan of all this tech as it could take away the drivers accountability and responsibility.

However, some seem to love it, crave it, and gush about it, then cry like a baby if it all goes wrong (NOT a reference to the OP).

• Like 1

The small print.

My comments and observations are my own, invariably "tongue in cheek", and definitely, sarcastic in nature. Therefore, do not take my advice, suggestions, observations or posts seriously or personally and remember if you do, do anything, that I may have suggested, then you have done this based solely on your own decision to do so and therefore you acknowledge responsibility and accountability (I know, in this modern world these are the hardest things for you to accept) for your actions and indemnify me of any influence, responsibility, accountability, or liability, in what you have done. In other words, you did it, so suffer the consequences on your own!

I'd imagine that this has now been tested with Tesla Autopilot incidents and certainly in the USA, Tesla will defend if they can prove human error but it seems do maintain a liability if not. 

My BMW autoparks but says every time that I am responsible for the car at all times and it's not perfect so I only used it when I got the car out of fascination. Sorry to hear but this is why we have insurance, accidents happen and I think that will probably be the easier route than a lengthy and expensive court case. Certainly worth a long discussion with your insurer for their stance though. 

• Love 1

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

• Gold FFM
10 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I am sure you're right Dan, hence my asking about ensuring it was used "by the book" etc.

As you know I'm not a fan of all this tech as it could take away the drivers accountability and responsibility.

However, some seem to love it, crave it, and gush about it, then cry like a baby if it all goes wrong (NOT a reference to the OP).

absolutely agree we have had 2 cars and 1 van that had self parking never used them, mainly because we couldn't work out how they worked. But then I have never used cruise control either! (or Race mode as no doubt @Bibs is about to point out) 

• Haha 1

@Dan E I have to admit cruise control is my one exception. Not RADAR cruise, but simple stick at xx mph cruise control like in the Evora.

I'm driving down to Anglesey tomorrow, 400 boring miles. I'll be in the VX220 with no cruise control, and it will be a right PITA and a pain in my right ankle.

Several sections are average speed camera controlled. CC is an absolute boon on journeys like that 

As for self parking and court cases. Watch out, as these cases will crop up, especially with some cars about ready to be shipped with Self Drive L3 capability. Tesla has already been "convicted" and accepted liability in some cases when the tech has failed. 

The small print.

• Gold FFM
21 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@Dan E I have to admit cruise control is my one exception. Not RADAR cruise, but simple stick at xx mph cruise control like in the Evora.

I'm driving down to Anglesey tomorrow, 400 boring miles. I'll be in the VX220 with no cruise control, and it will be a right PITA and a pain in my right ankle.

Several sections are average speed camera controlled. CC is an absolute boon on journeys like that 

As for self parking and court cases. Watch out, as these cases will crop up, especially with some cars about ready to be shipped with Self Drive L3 capability. Tesla has already been "convicted" and accepted liability in some cases when the tech has failed. 

@C8RKH I use the limiter in the BMW pretty much daily but never cruise, no idea why! My new BMW which comes in about 6 weeks has radar cruise that all sounds terrifying to me, so no doubt I won't use that either 😃

• Haha 1

I use cruise all the time, the wife refuses to do so, that's her choice but I wouldn't buy a car without it, now. I fitted it to the Esprit too, what a huge relief that was for the poor old joints.

Andy - you could probably retro-fit cruise to the VX220. Dan - I had a Hyundai rental car for 7 weeks in the US, that had radar cruise, and it was brilliant.

• Thanks 1

Margate Exotics.

• Gold FFM

Right then I am going to try it when the new car turns up then! I am on a mission to become like you Uncle Ian 

• Gold FFM

I have radar cruise in the Fabia. Works a treat. Use it all the time. Foot still stays near the throttle for those times that cars that are in the very left lane and slowing for the corner make the car think it is directly behind a slowing vehicle and inside the safety margin that you can set. As soon as you feel the car begin to slow, press on the throttle and override the system.

It doesn't take place of the driver, but it does allow you to concentrate on other road aspects like the lane changing, speeding numpties who gain all of one car by the next set of lights.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)