Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Dump Valve......please stop the swoosshhhh - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Dump Valve......please stop the swoosshhhh

HI ALL

I have bought from PUK in the summer a BOV KIT dump valve (my is a new model just regulate is unregulable)......

if is possible not listen the swoooshhhh.....in the beginnning it was very race!!! but now I prefer have a noble car not a race car so is possible not do the swooshhh to the dump valve BOV KIT by puk????????

Now I have fitted also a new larini exhaust, and also I have the ram air mod so the noise also with the dump valve expecially if you no drive fast is very very for boys racer!!!! I hope that you understand what I think!!

Thanks all

Alessandro

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the same mods (+ K & N filter ) : the ram-air mod makes quite some noise, even if you drive slowly, it's the air being sucked in you hear, and some 'flutter' if you change gear, perfectly normal ! Your BOV is not adjustable ? In that case, you'll need to remove it or use another model (recirculating to the air filter box).

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

I have the same mods (+ K & N filter ) : the ram-air mod makes quite some noise, even if you drive slowly, it's the air being sucked in you hear, and some 'flutter' if you change gear, perfectly normal ! Your BOV is not adjustable ? In that case, you'll need to remove it or use another model (recirculating to the air filter box).

So I will change my BOV.....when you drive very fast listen the dump valve is very very fantastic expecially for the exterior people....but if you drive normally and when you change gear listen the swoooshhhh at low mph is not good........

You shouldn

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Alessandro,

If you dont like it you should remove it and restore this section to its original setup.

Or, you may just remove the small pipe at the top of the BOV (and plug the small red pipe of course !). This mod will make the BOV act as a dump valve ... and you will hear it only on very rare conditions.

Cheers

Marcus

HI ALL

I have bought from PUK in the summer a BOV KIT dump valve (my is a new model just regulate is unregulable)......

if is possible not listen the swoooshhhh.....in the beginnning it was very race!!! but now I prefer have a noble car not a race car so is possible not do the swooshhh to the dump valve BOV KIT by puk????????

Now I have fitted also a new larini exhaust, and also I have the ram air mod so the noise also with the dump valve expecially if you no drive fast is very very for boys racer!!!! I hope that you understand what I think!!

Thanks all

Alessandro

Marcus

I have a bailey BOV and I get flutter and dump at higher boost, and a kinda whistle on full throttle accelleration, high boost.. I think I'm losing boost through it and it's not dumping properly??? I'm thinking of doing away with it alltogether or changing it to an adjustable type?? Not sure what to do?? Answers on a post card....

Mark

Edited by mwmackenzie

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

you can have the best of both worlds................turbo smart do an incar adjustable it can do both vent to atmosphere(VTA) and Recirculating(recirc) venting back into the system!!

I'm going to fit one of these!!!!

Hi all,

With dump valves, you can get a single piston or double piston. Because the Esprit doesn't have an air flow meter, it can use any type. The only difference is that the single piston valve will remain slightly open during idle, so techinally can let debris in.

I have tested both single piston and twin piston on the same make of dump valves and the noise is completely different. I've tried both Bailey and now I use Forge. The single piston is a loud long whooshing sound, whereas the twin piston is a short psshhh sound. This is because the second (middle) piston needs to be opened by the force of the excess boost whereas the first piston is opened by vacuum.

I ask people who order dump valves off my site if they want a loud noise or subtle (short) noise.

You can achieve a quieter noise without resorting to recirculating. If you want virtually no noise then you have to recirculate, meaning it's a different dump valve that has another port where the air comes out of. This goes back into your air box or induction system. Be careful when doing this as there's been one or two accidents!

Dave Walters

Edited by superdavelotus

IMO

If I were putting in a BOV I would only do one of these.

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/?id=1952

An HKS bypass valve.

I would recirculate the air back into the airbox so there isn't any of that SubaruLancerEvoSti wooooosh. I would hate that on my car.

I know of one of these on a modified X180-R, ported into the end of the intake plenum (looks factory). It never fails, works great and is silent.

If you want virtually no noise then you have to recirculate, meaning it's a different dump valve that has another port where the air comes out of. This goes back into your air box or induction system. Be careful when doing this as there's been one or two accidents!

Dave Walters

Accidents?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

I would recirculate the air back into the airbox so there isn't any of that SubaruLancerEvoSti wooooosh.

Pedant mode on - Scoobs and Mitsi's leave their respective factories equipped with recirculating valves. Any whoosh is as a result of the subsequent fitment of aftermarket VTA's.

..... I know of one of these on a modified X180-R, ported into the end of the intake plenum (looks factory). It never fails, works great and is silent.

That implies that he is using the BOV to bypass the throttle butterfly, so the air still goes into the engine :innocent: ....... or have I misunderstood?

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

Hi again,

First thing to do is speak to Marcus at PUK and see what he can do to help you.

Once you have done this and you need further assistance then the other route is to buy a recirculating dump valve and sell your current one.

Here's a picture of a nice Forge one

FMDV006.jpg

They retail for

Hi again,

First thing to do is speak to Marcus at PUK and see what he can do to help you.

Once you have done this and you need further assistance then the other route is to buy a recirculating dump valve and sell your current one.

Here's a picture of a nice Forge one

FMDV006.jpg

They retail for

going back to the flutter, mine flutters at low low rpm also, so does the supra? but it doesnt when you boot it, might have to go and get it setup on a RR

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

David....but a recirculate dump valve like model in the photo, it can fit linear like my dump valve??? I have see that this models have the 2 hole for the turbo hose but they aren't linear are at 90

- Nulla tenaci invia est via -

It fits perfectly Allessandro, just linear like your current one is : 1 connected to the T-hose, the small tube to he thin pipe, and the angled (side outlet) recirculates to the air filter box.

ok....do you have this dump valve on your car?????

have you photos to post????

ok....do you have this dump valve on your car?????

have you photos to post????

Dermot has some images on his great website - under modification / engine build

Dermots S4Sport website

You would just need to plumb the dump valve outlet into the airbox

Cheers,

Mike S

That implies that he is using the BOV to bypass the throttle butterfly, so the air still goes into the engine :) ....... or have I misunderstood?

Hey Mike,

Yes you misunderstood.

The HKS Race bypass valve is a bolt on face mount type, so it bolts to the plenum box (modified to have a 1"hole) with an o-ring seal and vents the plenum just before the butterflies. The bypassed air is recirculated by being piped into the airbox at the inside of the air filter.

In the future if you want to return the car to stock, you could replace the plenum, or plug, weld, and machine that machined end of the plenum to look just like it left the factory.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I just added a recirculating dump valve to my site for those wanting to install a dump valve but don't like the 'whooshing sound'

click me for link

Or here www.espritperformance.com

IMG_2413.jpg

It's a little more expensive than standard but the dfference is a lot less than the extra parts needed for this kit. The 1M long silicone hose costs

Edited by superdavelotus

I personally really prefer the SSQV system. We installed this on Johns car and there was a marked difference in bypass.

The single piston type BOV's are very prone to sticking and not sealing properly. The SSQV will not blow-by under light throttle application like the single piston does when not perfectly set up. I realize the price of the SSQV is prohibitive, but there are knockoffs available on E-Bay for quite cheap. Additionally, you can fit the SSQV with a recirculation fitting quite easily and it will be a lot quieter even if you don't actually recirculate it. Most BOV's are designed to be very loud, the SSQV enables you to change the sound by simply changing the purge fitting.

I've had trouble with pretty much every type of single piston system. I've used $30 ones, $100 ones, you name it... i have yet to find one that doesn't have some sort of issue.

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.