Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
TLF Film Appreciation Society - Page 5 - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

TLF Film Appreciation Society

Paul C

Just watched the movie 'Hot Fuzz' - hilarious. :laughing:

hotfuzzposterlc0.jpg

Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) and virtually everyone else from that movie too, in a cracking romp in the English countryside. Favourite moment is when he is telling his ex-girlfriend he is leaving, brilliant comedy. Two thumbs up. :ermm:

Iain

OK, so I'm straight right....lets get that fact in at the start.

My Mrs finally got me to watch a film that she'd been harping on about for years and that I just wouldn't watch as it just held no appeal to me whatsoever (and I thought it sounded....well you know.....a little camp).

So she fed me a bottle of wine or 2 and once I was insensible on the sofa put it on. Did I ever moan...unfortunately my legs had stopped working at that time so I just turned away and consoled myself in examining the drinks cabinet.....for a short while.

The singing drew my eye and within 15 minutes I was watching it.

So...YES! I watched Moulin Rouge and YES! I cried like a girl (but it was the red wine not me....honest).

So go get a bottle of wine and you'll thoroughly enjoy it. :ermm:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Gold FFM

Steady Kimbers, you'll be selling us Dirty Danceing or Bridget Jones next. :(

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Ian, How dare you even mention those 2. Do Americans really think we Brit's are like Hugh Grant, or come to think of it David Beckham, as thats the only examples we seem to give them. I wonder if NBC would be interested in buying Coronation Street, or Eastenders?

Hi,

Went and saw 'I Am Legend' Sunday, excellent film, quite sad actually. It's quite beliverable in some respects, considering what man does these days with gene modifying. Some bit's were questionable, but then most films have flaws.

I knew a lot was CGI, but apparently on Wikipedia it says they did actually shut down lots of areas of NY to film, other areas the people were digitally removed along with anything else not needed. You can see the zombies were cgi, but cgi still has some way to go before perfect digital humans, but the building were excellent.

I will be buying this one on DVD just for the extras.

Another film advertised is some new gangster movie set in the seventies and based on a real story about a bank robbery. Just love films made about the seventies, some big named stars in it, but I can't remember the title. So the wife and I will be going to see that.

Owen.

Edited by OwenGT3

I've just had a thought, there's a feature on the forum that I've not seen used yet (it's fairly new) that you can add in 'spoiler' information. I thought it would be useful in this thread as people share comments about films they've seen but may not wish to ruin it for those that haven't.

For example:

They all die in the end

If you highlight the above black box you'll see what I've written but obviously you don't have to if you didn't want to find out how the film ended.

When you reply to a post (full reply not the quick reply) at the top left of all the font & smilies options you'll see 'Insert Special Item' click on the drop down & choose 'Insert:SPOILER' type away & the above is what you'll get.

apologies if everyone knew that already :D

Unfortunately, the spoiler appears as normal, with no warning, in email notifications, so if anyone uses this, perhaps it could be surrounded with "*** SPOILER ALERT ***" or something like that.

Could it be done automatically in the same way that quotes are prefixed with "QUOTE (member @ date, time)"?

More speed, less haste

No, it can't and I'm not even gonna try just so LEF doesn't spoil people's film experiences! I've a trillion better things to do with my time including thinking up a suitable punishment for you and your crazy ideas! :D

Just got in from I Am Legend, cracking film, really enjoyed it :P

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Die Hard 4 and We were soldiers last nite! Both absolutely bloody brilliant. Die Hard 4 within 10 mins he's reloaded his Baretta 4 times! Kerrching! We were soldiers true story of the biggest single battle of Vietnam war (the yanks actually won it) doesn't pull it's punches (lots of napalm and it's effects) and is just a real treat for those of us who like to see spent bullet cases flying about!

Tonite I feel a bit more mellow so it's Quigley Down Under (a truely superb "alternative" cowboy based in Australia) and Grosse Point Blank (a Dark comedy with John Cusack as a disenchanted assasin who goes home to his high school prom. Much killing and funnyness ensues.

I would really recommend any of the above films to everyone here. Even my Mrs enjoyed them (and she hates mindless violence).

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

it's strange that no one has mentioned "Blade Runner 1982" (Harrison Ford) in the past 10years.

I think it is one of the most "realistic" Sci-Fi film....

talking about actor/actress, what do you think about Jodie Foster?

I like her old films more than the new one.

**most disappointed....."Miami Vice the movie"

they should not make something "fictional world" to be "filled with realistic elements"

and both actors do not have chemistry.....it's like the story breaks into piece....

recently watched films

"I am legend" (Will Smith), brilliant!!

"American Gangster" , this one is up there with "Goodfellas" (1990)

strangely, I watched "Lord of the Rings" in theatre, but I never watch it again when the films are shown on TV.

it's just too long......

(but I can watch Star Wars again and again from episode 1 to 6)

and I will watch "cloverfield" this Thursday.

looking forward to watch "Batman: the dark knight"

(love "Batman: the Beginning")

worst comic hero movie - "Cat Woman"

Edited by esprithk

looking forward to watch "Batman: the dark knight"

(love "Batman: the Beginning")

worst comic hero movie - "Cat Woman"

I don't know, these cat women look mighty fine to me! :clap:

japanese-catwoman.jpgsexy_catwoman_jpg.jpg

Owen :devil:

Edited by OwenGT3

I'm a big John Cusack fan, Grosse Point Blank is a great film :D

I agree 100%, Also check out Identity, and High Fidelity.

Now I'm not a big fan of films with subtitles but I was idally surfing ebay the other week and came across a film I hadn't seen since I was a kid. Its a French film called "Wages of fear" starring Eves Montand (you may remember him from "Grand Prix") its about some down on their luck guys in a south American town who, to earn enough money to get back to civilisation agree to transport Nitro Glycerine to an oil well fire over rough terrain in trucks. Great stuff. It was remade back in the 80's with Roy Scheider called "Sorcerer" with a great sound track by Tangerene Dream. Even my old fav Gerry Anderson used Wages of Fear as the basis for an episode of Joe 90 called Colonel McLaine. So if you get a chance check these out.

if you want a good film with sub titles then "Bandit Queen" true story of Poolan Devi , young girl who was sold to her husband when she was about 11, he rapes her etc she gets away and join a bandit group and eventually become its leader and then on to be an MP

film info

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

if we're talking about subtitled films one of my favourite recent foreign language films is Nochnoy dozor or 'Night Watch'. It's a great Russian film, it's a sci-fi filmbut not in a trecky way and the subtitles are great; they don't just scroll across the screen different fonts, colours and effects are used to try and portray what is being said more accurately.

There is a sequel called Dnevnoy dozor which is 'Day watch' there's a third planned which will probably be called Twilight Watch or Sumerechnyi dozor but I believe the series has been 'Hollywood-isd' now so I don't know if it'll be up to much.

I totally agree about Night/Day Watch. Great films with an interesting twist on the vampire theme. Nice tight direction, great attention to details that you only pick up on the 2nd and 3rd watches, and I too love the subtitles. Because I know a bit of Russian, I was only half watching them. I had a "waidaminnit! What just happened there?" moment the first time I saw them. Really nice touch.

I do hope they haven't gone the Hollywood route for the third. Why change a winning formula?

More speed, less haste

Well Fox are financing the third film and it is being filmed in English, rumour has it most of the original cast will not be in it and if they are, only in cameo roles.

It comes from a series of books (which I think have been translated in to English) of the same names so it might be worth reading them to get a proper ending to the trilogy (although again, I understand, the 3 films are all based on the first book, Night Watch).

That doesn't bode well :crybaby:

Whilst Hollywood does what it does well, most Hollywood versions of foreign films have been really shallow compared to the original. The Ring, was one of the better examples, but despite higher production values it managed to lose much of the haunting atmosphere of the original.

Just checked on IMDb and it's the same director and writer so hopefully they'll maintain some artistic integrity and stay true to the style of the first two.

More speed, less haste

I'm really not a fan of subtitled and foriegn films. I grew up with Barry Norman doing Film on BBC1 and he only liked foreign films about frog fishing in Belgium! YAWN!

I freely admit that when it comes to movies I'm not an intellectual. I prefer films I lose myself in not films that I have to think about. Gun, Blood, Action, explosion, Wilis, Swartznegger, Bourne, Kill, death etc are all words I like to read on the back of the DVD. Love, thoughtful, thought provoking, intelligent, charming all put me to sleep.

I'm with Kimbers...

I'm a bloke. I can't read and watch at the same time, that's multitasking.

Anyone going to see AvP II ?

Opens this Firday I think. :lol:

Jez

Mean Green S4s

I think therefore I am - Descartes

I'm pink therefore I'm spam - Eric Idle

hmm...if you guys like war movie,

I like to introduce you to this chinese film "asembly"

(just released in theatre this month)

http://assembly.sina.com.cn/

the story is something like an army unit has to defend a frontline,

and when the advantage is toward the enemy side, the Captain will send a signal to call the different divisions to "retreat".

unfortunately, the commander of one of the division was temporary deaf due to a bomb attack nearby. So, he did not hear the signal, and lead his man to continue the fight.....which at the end, he is the only survivor of the unit.

the focus of the story is about the life of this commander after the war...(you can figure out how painful and depress he is ..)

it is a great film!