Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
to dump valve? or not to dump valve? - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

to dump valve? or not to dump valve?

hello everyone. last post for a few days. been thinking of getting a dump valve, any one got one? are they worth it? does the fsst noise get on your nerves etc. any reccomendations on manufacturer

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Pete,

The dump valve's main reason is to release excess pressure when you take your foot off the accellerator during turbo boost and also when changing gears. This back pressure can stall the turbo and then it has to spool up again when you put your foot ont he gas. This back pressure can wear the turbo out. They are fitted to most turbo cars as standard but these are recirculation ones, the air goes back into the intake system. One or two people on here have tried the recirculating valve.

If you want a subtle noice rather than a big whoosh then I'd go for a twin piston type dump valve rather than single piston. Make sure you do not buy a diphram type and they will not last five minutes. If there is any particular type or make then pm me and I'll make a kit up for you. Alternatively, PUK, PNM, LEW, there's lots of places selling them all in their own styles.

Regards,

Dave Walters

when im ready for one dave i will get it from you, as i will want to do a few smaller jobs 1st (catch tank, fuel breather pipe etc) is there any thing out there thay you would reccomend? have looked at the lew one they fitted looks easy enough, but i dont think they gave you much info once they had fitted it, i.e. was it a worthwhile upgrade or not.

don't forget to reply to my last pm so i can get my items sorted. as im flying later

all the best

It's Oogies turn to boogie

The twin set up I had on the V8 sounded great.You could hear the wooosh but it was subtle.

The one I have on this cr@@ S4 I have sounds cheap and nasty ,too loud.

So my opinion..V8 - yes, 4 pot - no :devil:

Honest Rich's opinion.

The twin set up I had on the V8 sounded great.You could hear the wooosh but it was subtle.

The one I have on this cr@@ S4 I have sounds cheap and nasty ,too loud.

So my opinion..V8 - yes, 4 pot - no :devil:

Honest Rich's opinion.

The benefits (and necessity) of a dump valve increase with boost pressure. In a relatively low boost application, it is questionable if you really need one. However, the higher the boost, typically the louder the noise, as there is more pressure trying to escape through the port. Design of the valve is also a big factor, as some are designed specifically to make as much noise as possible.

If you want the benefits of the valve without the whooshing noise, then you will be best to consider a so called

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Mike's right.

I rather missed the point in that they do actually serve a purpose rather than just make a noise!!!.

It is a good idea ,I believe mechanically to fit one,however I would personally go for a re circulating type and lose the noise.

Rich

Hi Richard,

Why haven't you changed your avatar to have your S4 on?

From your post, it sounds like you are a little unhappy with your S4?

Hi Peter,

I've sent you as pm explaing the benefits of a dump valve etc. Have a great holiday over christmas, speak to you when you get back!

Regards,

Dave Walters

Hi Dave,

Unhappy is an understatement. I will never learn :thumbsup:

I am getting another 350 so I thought it best to leave as is.The S4 will be moved on as soon as I can drag it through an MOT.!!

In the meantime I am just looking forward to enjoying Christmas.

Rich

when im ready for one dave i will get it from you, as i will want to do a few smaller jobs 1st (catch tank, fuel breather pipe etc) is there any thing out there thay you would reccomend? have looked at the lew one they fitted looks easy enough, but i dont think they gave you much info once they had fitted it, i.e. was it a worthwhile upgrade or not.

don't forget to reply to my last pm so i can get my items sorted. as im flying later

all the best

the dump vale is def. worth the money and little hassle of fitting as the reduction in pressure on the turbo not only extends life but also keeps boost up inbetween gearchanges. bought a catch tank off dave hope to post install on site if it goes as ive envigaged.even if it doesnt turn out as ive planned its still the best looking one on the planet (unless someone knows of a better looking one)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete and all,

If people don't like the noise and wish to go down the recirculating dump valve route then, next week I should have a kit ready for someone to try. First one to try it out will get it at a very cheap price. I'll need to get all the bits ready, the hardest piece is the 25mm adaptor to attach to your air box.

This kit retail will cost more than the standard kit as there are more parts, mainly 1M of 25mm silicone hose (which isn't cheap), jubilee clip and adaptor to air box. This will add

is it needed! it's a case of a solution found for a problum that does not exist theres ann esprit on 330,000 miles on the same turbo no oil catcth tank,no useless mods at all, just realible ,easy to drive goes all the time 1988 turbo just leave it alone.

is it needed! it's a case of a solution found for a problum that does not exist theres ann esprit on 330,000 miles on the same turbo no oil catcth tank,no useless mods at all, just realible ,easy to drive goes all the time 1988 turbo just leave it alone.

I think that you

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica