Donny Convoy Thread

Kimbers

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I know Tobi's going up in the Esprit on Saturday!

Mark P looks like he's there Sat and Sunday as well. Cliffs up Saturday though I think he was thinking later. Owen is going up Saturday to stay at a Cousins.

Would be nice to have anyone join in just for fun!! Even if you don't want to stay!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

So it's just the three of us then? :cry:

C'mon people don't be shy! :(

Well currently Glyn (Splashout) can't make it. LotusEsprit1988 has unfortunately had to sell his car after someone smashing in to it and it's too early in the day for Cliff. Chris (red vtec) is still a possiblity if he can book up a room in time and he can afford the

How much is the actual entrance? I may just shoot up sunday.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

I'm seriously considering blowing off my hockey game on Saturday in Sheffield so I can join you all in the convoy.

Just curious: since there is only one person coming from the M25, and two on the M11, what about going NORTH on the M11 instead of SOUTH, meeting at Stansted and/or Cambridge services and heading up the M11 / over on the A14 to the M1?

(am I crazy? or the only one not geographically challenged? feel free to make the appropriate joke here about women reading maps...)

Just curious: since there is only one person coming from the M25, and two on the M11, what about going NORTH on the M11 instead of SOUTH, meeting at Stansted and/or Cambridge services and heading up the M11 / over on the A14 to the M1?

(am I crazy? or the only one not geographically challenged? feel free to make the appropriate joke here about women reading maps...)

Makes more sense, but the A14 is soooo tedious.

If you want a great drive, meet up at Stansted, head west on the A120, north up the A10, west at Buntingford on to the A507 (& drive along one of the most twisty, hilly, fun roads in the area), north onto the A1 or continue west onto the M1 at J12.

The fun bit of the A507 is only about 10 miles with a village in the middle, but it's a real blast, even in my Primera :(. Infinitely better in the Lotus though :(

I would join you, but the Elan convoy is Saturday morning, so I'll see y'all at Donny. B)

• Gold FFM
Hi,

What time do the doors open on Sunday? Is it wise to get there early?

Owen.

Yes if you want to park in the Main Lotus only carpark. Fills up real quick.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM
What constitutes early?

Just checked last years Doni thread and the Lotus car park was full by 9.30am

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Frankly, for Kimbers and I it would be much more direct if we just jumped straight on the A14 and headed east. But we tend to go via South Mimms in the hope that it will encourage a few more of the London/south eastern crowd to join us.

Moreover, as Iain says the A14 is incredibly tedious (second only to the Essex section of the A12); it's also over-populated with scameras and invariably clogged up with artics heading to/from the east coast ports.

Moreover, as Iain says the A14 is incredibly tedious (second only to the Essex section of the A12)

Hmmm, I hate the A14 more. Uni in Birmingham and living /working in Leics with my life in Colchester may have biased me though.

Go for it! Try the A507. If you don't like it, I'll buy you all a pint on Saturday night.

A free pint...can you really resist such an offer....I doubt it. :(

My hatred of the A12 stems from 15 years of commuting from Manningtree to Chelmsford :angry:

Have driven the A507 on several occasions and you're quite right, it is a cracking road. But somehow I just don't think it would be the same without the EE leading us! Perhaps we'll save that for the next time when you join us Iain :)

I'll still let you buy me a pint on Saturday though! :D

Just back from collecting the Timeshare from Gerald. Has worked his usual magic and the car is once again tickety boo :)

My hatred of the A12 stems from 15 years of commuting from Manningtree to Chelmsford :angry:

Have driven the A507 on several occasions and you're quite right, it is a cracking road. But somehow I just don't think it would be the same without the EE leading us! Perhaps we'll save that for the next time when you join us Iain :)

cheeky sod, you just want a cheap car wash :D

I'll still let you buy me a pint on Saturday though! :)
Ok

Just back from collecting the Timeshare from Gerald. Has worked his usual magic and the car is once again tickety boo :)
Surely you mean Neil? I agree though: I am pleased with the work done there on EE.

The only A14 cameras westbound are at Molesworth and Kettering. :angry: But I agree that it can be terrible. I'm back and forth to Coventry at least once a week so I am unfortunate enough to drive it regularly.

I'll meet you all up at Donny after my game in Sheffield then, miss the car park on Saturday, but make it on Sunday pre-fillup - sounds like that's Esprit day anyway. I'm at the Holiday Inn Express with the family so definitely want to join the group for evening activities!

CAN'T WAIT to see all the Esprits lined up together...

The only A14 cameras westbound are at Molesworth and Kettering.

Erm, more on the Haughley Bends (between Ipswich and Bury St Edmunds), another at Fen Ditton (Cambridge) and pretty much the whole 10 mile or so stretch between Cambridge and Huntingdon is covered by a rash of SPECS (average speed) cameras.

Look forward to seeing you at Donny :angry:

Is it more boring than the bloody M25 and M1 though?

At least it has roundabouts, corners and a couple of nice open stretches? Also has a couple of nice diners where we could stop for a bite to eat at lunch time.....saves paying through the nose for M1 fayre.

Up to you guys, I'm happy either way. I got my sounds, my car (oh god please let it get back from Lotus in one piece) and possibly a spare seat beside me (MJK is making his own way up due to the early AM kick off!)

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Hobson's choice really... but having had 9 points on my licence at one stage I tend to be overly wary of speed cameras :angry:

Why don't we stick with Plan A for today in the (probably vain) hope that one or two others from the South East decide to join us at South Mimms? If, come tonight, it's still just the three of us we can reconvene and decide then?

how much is the entrance fee to Donny?

Amateurs built the Ark

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Why don't we stick with Plan A for today in the (probably vain) hope that one or two others from the South East decide to join us at South Mimms? If, come tonight, it's still just the three of us we can reconvene and decide then?

Hi Guys,

It's likely Brian one of our chums from the essex meet will join us at South Mimms on Saturday, he seemed quite keen last night on the phone. He's got a Pearlecent White S3, you may have seen him at Oxford and Castle Combe last year. So we now have:

1. Martyn - South Mimms @ 11 o'c

2. James - Birchanger Services (Stansted) @ 10 o'c

3. Kimbers Jnr and Snr - Birchanger Services (Stansted) @ 10 o'clock

4. Brian - South Mimms @ 11 o'c

I'll chase the illusive Mr Cole shortly !

Martyn :angry:

Chris had said he'd travel up with me on the Sunday but given the weather forecast there's more chance of him getting a round in than him actually getting the Esprit out. :angry:

I may come up sunday, not paying

Amateurs built the Ark