Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Smell and noise from the rear - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Smell and noise from the rear

Kimbers

Hi All

I was out in the car last night with the Mrs and upon getting back I noticed a smell from the rear. I checked around the car and despite it being a slightly oily/hot smell it wasn't from the engine. It was from the o/s rear wheel. Now it didn't smell like hot brakes or clutches do, it's more of a hot rubber/oil smell (not tyre rubber)

On top of that I have started to hear what I can only describe as a Wha, wha, wha noise from the rear. My own diagnosis is rear wheel bearing and I discussed it with Troy who thinks thats a possibility. Anything else you can think of or have I hit the nail on the head?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think your on the right lines.

From your description I would guess that or possibly a binding brake. After a run feel the wheel and see if its hot. This would point you to one of these and you can then see if the brake disc is really silly hot in which case its break binding or if just wheel then bearing.

Glyn

Does it role freely on a slite slop? I'm not sure how that helps, but I suspect a bearing would cause less drag than a binding brake. Also check the inside tyrewall and wheel rim for any signs of contact.

Roger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Trust AEG to bring the topic down to it's most base level. You'd never find me doing that! :thumbup:

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I think I might have a Scouser stuck under there! Wha?

Erm I would best describe it as a drone that fades and returns constantly.

Smell and noise from the rear?

it's more of a hot rubber/oil smell ?

Wha, wha, wha noise from the rear?

I'm lost for words. what with Bibs and Troy at it,and now you as well,

You three are a right pair if ever I saw one. :thumbup:

I hate you all. Thats the last time I post on here.

Good bye!

(disclaimer: Till the next post)

Wheel bearing generally is more of a constant drone which comes and goes if you steer hard left and right.

With him, it's probably constantly droning when that wheel is in contact with the ground, which probably isn't very often.

Also, if it is a wheel bearing, you can often check the noise by swerving down the road (obviously, not a break-neck speed!) and the noise will change sound when you load up the wheel with the loose bearing. :thumbup:

I test drove my Esprit with the handbrake on (Checked it was down but forgot they

can fold flat even when applied) It looked like the rear wheel arch was on fire when

we stopped, the owner popped the engine lid thinking there was an engine fire. The

subsequent pre purchase inspection i had arranged found a 'Seized rear caliper'.

I did not haggle on that issue.

:thumbup:

errr buy a proper model esprit, get no problems then LMAO LMAO

OUR CURRENT COLLECITON :- MODIFIED LOTUS ESPRIT, FULL VEILSIDE SUPRA (BEAST 409.3bhp), NEW ADDITON TO THE TROOP, 1996 S CLASS MERC (FULLY PIMPED OUT, DUB EDITION)

Hi Kimbers,

I had a similar problem a couple to the one which you described, also from the rear offside wheel. took off the wheel and found it was a binding brake. A bit of Copper slip and hey presto! :lol:

Best Wishes

Graeme K.

Dammit, you are right guys, I took her out today and she loses the noise when I go right and unload the O/S and the noise gets really bad when I turn left loading up the O/S.

I also checked the wheels after getting hme and the fronts were cool but both rears were hot to the touch.

Does that mean brakes and bearings or could it be the bearings heating up the wheels?

I"d definitely check your handbrake isn't sticking on,one side may be sticking more than the other hence noise disapearing when turning,i dont think its your bearings it would be pretty unlucky for both sides to go at the same time,does the car feel sluggish ?have you jacked car up and spun the wheels,applied then released handbrake and tried spinning wheels again? pistons in calipers may be sticking (especially this time of year with cruddy road salt etc)

Nick S4s

Simplest things first.