Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric chargecooler pump installations - Page 4 - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric chargecooler pump installations

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The blanking plug is a Lotus part (non-chargecooled electronic ignition cars), SJ do a part at £31.80 +VAT SJ910E0021.

Or you could go to your nearest Lotus dealer and order the part for £13.50 like I did a couple of months ago.  :thumbsup:

(did have to make the flat bracket as this is obsolete, not very difficult though)! 

Edited by Zolder
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Convinced not to use my newly bought yellow impellor kit, I shelled out for an Electric kit. Anyway, now I have to install it, so I have afew questions.

I have two wires from the pump, one Black (earth) and one Blue (positive).

The earth, could I add that on one of the screws of the aluminium double expansion tank?

The blue should go to "a positive ignition source"??

Where would I find that?  How does it look (Picture and description) and what to do?

Do I need this or a relayed installation?

The kit is from PNM, ans came with two fat pieces of rubber tubing, probably to connect to the pump itself. How do I connect htese to the  slimmer tubing on the Esprit?

Hope you can help, so I can get the Esprit back on track.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Jacques,

If you have removed, or don't have the Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) fitted below your catalytic converter, then you can plug your electric charge cooler pump into the EBPV connector.

The wiring for the EBPV connector is rated for up to 14A, and has a dedicated 10A fuse and a 12V 40A relay that is turned on before the car starts, so you can hear the pump run, then off while starting, then back on again when the engine is warm.

Read my posts above in this thread.

You can plug your pump wires directly into the EBPV plug, as shown here.  You can buy a GM Metri-pack 150 plug

IMG_4898.JPG

IMG_1536.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Hi Travis..

Thanks for the answer, but I do have the ebpv still. I should mention that my Esprit is a 1990 my SE (lhd).

So what to do ?

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

You can use the signal wire to the EBPV relay, splice into that to run to a new circuit that you install with a fuse and a relay for your electric pump, and run wires from the battery to the relay and then to the motor.  That way the logic of the pump will be the same as the EBPV (on before engine start, off while cranking, on when engine is warm, and then off while engine is off) but it will have a dedicated circuit.  Run the + and ground direct from the battery.

Like this, but use the signal from the EBPV relay rather than the orange/purple wire from the ECU.

CircuitDiagram.jpg

Lower right relay "Solenoid valve Changeover Relay (Throttle Jack and EBPV). Use the signal wire, not the 12V that runs the EBVP solenoid and Throttle jack Solenoid.

relay%2520panel.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Travis,

I have a question though, to understand if that is the right wire I should splice into.

In the Service Notes, section MK, Chargecooler car, Electric scemes, sheet 4a, there is a "solenoid relay" that have a Green/Orange wire to the ecu. The others looks like green or green/various 12 volt supplies to various solenoids: "wastegate", "exhaust back press." and "throttle Jack".

Others looks Green only as supplies of 12Volt from other parts (fused 10A) of the wireing in the car.

So, should I use the Green/Orange wire between  the ecu and the "solenoid relay" (at leg 85 on the relay), as the signal wire to control my new relay (fused 5A) for the Electric chargecooler pump (and then just a plus and minus to battery) ?

And will that specific new function plus the three mentioned in the service notes, then be controlled directly from the ecu, which opens and Closes as in your description?

I'm afraid that I could not paste a Picture of it in this thread, as it won't accept the Picture or url.

Please bare with me, as this is not my strongest side ;)

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

You could connect the pin 85 of your new relay to the OP (orange and purple wire of the ECU), which goes to pin 85 of the fuel pump relay. and then connect the pin 86 of your new relay to ground.

The reason that I don't do this is that I like to hear the fuel pump and chargecooler pump run when I first turn the key, But I din't really need the changecooler pump to run until the car is warmed up.  By energizing the chargecooler pump off the EBPV relay, then the pump turns back off until the engine is warmed up, and stays running until the car is turned off.  The other thing it does is turn the electric chargecooler pump OFF while the car is cranking to start.  That way you aren't draining power while trying to start the car.

It is by far easiest to remove the EBPV (or bracket it open) and then just plug the wires of the electric charge cooler pump into the wires that used to go to the EBPV solenoid.  Also remove the throttle jack at that point.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Here is a very detailed study on this subject, best you can get:

Understanding Intercooling, Charge-Coolers, Heat Exchangers and Circulation Pumps

Read more: http://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-bi-turbo-platform/491594-understanding-intercooling-charge-coolers-heat-exchangers-circulation-pumps.html#ixzz2rtjfnA7V

MrDangerUS

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone ever connect the control wire to a new relayed Electric pump to the wire on the generator, that turns off the battery check lamp in the instrumentation? That would be to avoid some relays and sensors, eventually breaking Down, and inflicting on the new pump.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques

• 5 months later...

Thought I would add to this post for those considering a Bosch pump.  The pump that is on most supercharged Mercedes models especially AMG's including the McLaren SLR is Bosch part number 0 392 022 010.  It retails in the low $100ish range.... Snip

The connector was approx. $17 shipped from www.benzpartsforless.com...

Plastic electrical connector: # 2305400081   $1.67   Needed (1)

Wiring lead:  #0005402405   $4.63   Needed (2)

This will give you 18" of wiring from the plug with a "weatherpack" type silicone rubber seal at the connector.  The wires "click" and lock into the plug.  Received the Mercedes connector today and verified as the correct part for the job.

Excellent info, I found an 010 pump on amazon prime for just over a hundred bucks and got the connector and wires from that source. Looks perfect, just had to get a couple of reducers for the hose from 5/8 to 3/4" and I'm ready to install. Per the other post below - I removed the existing chargecooler pump housing, removed the impeller (impeller blades still in good shape, but no longer rotating with the shaft) and removed the shaft and installed a bolt with seal on the oil pump side and a big nut and washer inside the pump cavity. New oring and reinstalled, so far so good, no leaks. I removed the intake plenum and oil filter to gain access and it was easy. While I had the plenum off, I cleaned the throttle Venturi and butterflies and (kind of dirty, but not bad) and it seems to really make a difference in low speed, off idle performance. May just be my imagination.

Tonight I'll install the pump down low, connect the hoses and install the relay and wiring per Travis' excellent diagram and I'll have my cold horsepower back!

Thanks for all the detailed info on this thread, sure makes it an easy job.

If you aren't using your EBPV, then I would just plug your pump into the EBPV solenoid harness, which is what I did, rather that doing it like the diagram above.

How many amps is your pump pulling?

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

You aren't using a relay for your pump? I thought I saw a relay wired into your circuit in your photos. I was planning to pick the relay control circuit off the EBPV using the GM connectors like you show, but the wire size going in the EBPV connector is actually the same as the wires for the Bosch 010 pump. They appear to be 18 AWG max, so it can't be pulling much, I'd say 3 amps maybe, so I would fuse for the wire and use 10 amp fuse.

How much current draw can the EBPV handle do you think?

The EBPV/Throttle jack circuit has a dedicated 10A fuse and relay already.  The wiring diagram above is only if you intend to keep using the EBPV.  Otherwise, the wiring to the EBPV solenoid connector is rated for 14A, and the fuse is 10A, and the relay is 40A, so you can use those for most water pumps...

My pump pulls 8A, no problem with it.

• Like 1

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I don't really notice mine. It is only making a small hiss, so I can just barely hear it, with ignition on, before starting the engine.

Cheers,

Jacques.

• 5 weeks later...

Jphoenix13- Glad to hear it worked well for you.  As I indicated earlier...if the Bosch 010 pump is good enough for the McLaren SLR it is probably good enough for a 2.2L Esprit motor.  I am sure they looked at pump requirements for the SLR's chargecooler...and going by the SLR's performance I think it works fine.  How quiet it is just a bonus but again, MB owners would not like a loud pump humming under their supercar's hood would they? :smoke:

Edited by Paul93Lotus

• 8 months later...

Bosch 0392022010 pump seems  to be the best compact and economical option, see chart below

post-11050-0-56123800-1431615158.jpg

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

New intel:

Actually, Marine High Flow Jabsco Cyclone 50840-0012 pump is much better for this application!

It is smaller than CM90 and flows much better than any Bosch or CM90 pump!

It is a little giant which delivers!

All stainless, centrifugal impeller, large 3/4" NPT inlet and outlet. Plentiful on Amazon.

Edited by MrDangerUS

MrDangerUS

I use the Jabsco Centripuppy, along with another friend, then the Centri-puppy was replaced by the Cyclone, and another friend uses that.  The Jabsco's work well (not waterproof though).

https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/LotusElectricChargecooler?noredirect=1

Here's his Jabsco Cyclone install

DSC05215.jpg

The pumps are not self priming, though, so you have to mount them low.

IMG_2800.jpg

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...