Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Electric chargecooler pump installations - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Electric chargecooler pump installations

OK just spend 4 hrs taking the chargecooler pump off - so much fun !! ^_^

Pump spins but the vanes dont which is why I have no cooling !

Got an electric pump already that was destined for the GT2 but curious to see how people have mounted theirs, cheers !

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Jono

You've seen my leccy pump installation already but you probably don't remember it !!

Here's a pic of it with the boot out but not particularly high res.....

pump.jpg

So you'll have to pop down soon and have a proper good look ^_^

Steve

89 SE Pacific Blue

http://lexi.mantaur.co.uk

Jon

I mounted mine in the little box-type thing in the bulkhead where earlier cars have relays (there's just a small vac pump on the GT3). I wanted to protect it from the engine heat to some extent; of course it means if the bulkhead ever comes out the system will have to be refilled and bled, but that won't happen too often.

If I did it again though I would stick it at the front end near the radiator (lower down = better pumping and no heat).

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I made a bracket and placed it on the chassis as low as possible beside the bellhousing. That way the weight of the coolant in the c/c and radiator can help with pumping loads as well. Also "clocked" the body and end so the electric leads point down. Less chance of water getting in via the leads.

lotusicpumpandaccbracket30-3-07006.jpg

lotusicpumpandaccbracket30-3-07017.jpg

Photo doesn't show it but I added a small (3mm) hose off a T near the input to the pump. I run that hose beside the main line up and cap it with a plug. Just remove the plug to let the air escape while I'm pouring the coolant into the c/c and once it's coming out of that small hose my system is full and ready to go. Too easy.

Edited by DanR

DanR

Very handy replies - some great ideas too, I like Dans one a lot (same pump as I have, is it the 16mm or 20mm port version ?)

Graham, I invented a special 30 second long swear word for this job ! ^_^

After taking 1/2 the engine out so I could see what the hell was going on, I used an extension rigged from all sorts of pieces of metal about 2 feet long on the end of a ratchet to drive that sodding bolt !! Spent about 2 hrs doing it the conventional way with someone holding the throttle down - I would have replaced the impeller but mine had sheered from the key'd mounting, the outer was just stationary and the inner was spinning.

Cost of the electric pump wasn't an awful lot more so it's hopefully 1 less thing to go wrong !

It's the 16mm one. I'm regularly checking how cool my c/c is after a drive and amazed with how cold it can be at times.

I'll stand in the pro corner as one of the best initial mods to do for the car.

DanR

Starting my 4th hour on trying to re-fit the blank/6mm bolt into the pump housing.

Would it have been quicker to extract the engine and do this job extermally ?

I mean seriously everytime you want to work on this car you have to take 1/2 the engine off anyways, you alwyas have to top the chargecooler and most of the induction system...

Just love the little cubby holes in the engine block too - just small enough to allow a bolt/nut to roll into them but too small to get anything to pluck them out (oh and stainless / brass is not magnetic).

Can think of better ways of spending a Thursday.... ^_^

Mines the same pump - how did you get the pipe to go over the nozzle ?

I tried all sorts on mine and it just wont go so I'm using reducers instead.

I'm mounting it now on the plenum (using a spacer) sort of inverted with the suction side pointing down and the pressure port pointing towards the back of the car - looks pretty neat actually.

Hopefully sort that throttle cable out with a nifty little trick as well :(

Well mines in and working - nice and easy install as it happens for a change.

MAT was hovering about 37 degrees (23 ambient tonight) so thats not too bad although I can see where the extra heat is getting in alright and the pump seems to be cavitating slightly so it might need some air time.

Car is MUCH quicker that a few days ago (even thought it's hotter outside), you can instantly tell that small boost difference but I really can't tell any difference over the standard pump other than ease of maintenance now - it's certinaly no cooler than it was before and I must admit I didn't expect to see that.

The pipes and stuff definatly need insulating and I think one of mine has a slight kink in it as well restricting flow but that's a job for a later date.

At least it works now.

• 1 year later...

Here's another to add to the chargecooler pump colletion. Constant problems with my mechanical pump since I replaced the impellor. Anyway new pumps in. Fitted to the cross member, so actually sits just lower than the original.

electricpump.jpg

• Like 1

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

Here are two similar installs on two different cars (X180-R, and just a few days ago on my 89SE)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lotusse/LotusElectricChargecooler#

DSC05215.jpg

IMG_2800.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

Jabsco centri puppy

IMG_2798.jpg

Wiring will be using a GM Metri-Pack connector right into the EBPV solenoid connector. The pump will turn on when the car is up to operating temp, no need to hack the wiring harness or add a fuse or relay.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Only down side to that Travis is that if you want to flush the air out of the system you have to have the engine on and up to temp before the pump will run to push the coolant through. Having it spliced onto the ignition feed as described earlier, means you can run the pump to help clear air out of the CC circuit with only the ignition on.

Unless I guess you have the suggested air bleed T installed low down with the pump to help this situation.

No I don't... :thumbsup:

I can just switch the connector over to the throttle jack solenoid plug!

That one is energized when the engine cold.

Oh, and the Tee up to the coolant header tank is at the highest part of that hose, right above the pump. Then the chargecooler bleed is the next highest point on the outlet side of the pump.

Edited by Vulcan Grey

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

haha, I knew you'd have an answer .... :thumbsup:

How much was your Jabsco pump - it looks much more meaty than the WC Eng. pump I have ?

Edited by CarlC

Here's a pic of the Electric pump connection. Very simple.

Splices straight into the EBPV Solenoid wiring.

IMGP0552.jpg

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

• 2 months later...

I've just removed my pump, it was a VW/Audi pump and was pretty lame. In it's place will be one of these...

http://www.advancedvehicletuning.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=69&products_id=184

pumpavt[1].jpg

According to the manufacturer this is how it compares to the Johnson CM30P7-1.

Much better, as the Johnson pump isactually a Bosch pump, but a lower pressure model called the PA range,available in 3 models from Bosch. The best one they do flows 1200l/hr, theworst one is 500l/hr (in the same chassis dimensions) but it doesn't have thepressure capability, ie it drops off to zero flow at 8psi, whereas our onewhich is Bosch's premium pump holds over 1000l/hr even at that pressure. The PApumps are only good for systems with low pressure. Many pumps on the market areBosch, but they label them as their own, eg Davies Craig EBP is also a middlerange Bosch pump.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

That's a fine pump you have there Bibs. Iam looking at stocking these in kit form as from next week.

I tried the Davies Craig one and I am not convinced with them.

I also have a large stock of WC Engineering blanking plugs and brackets should any one in UK need one in a hurry.

David

Just bought two of the bosch pumps from avt yesterday, one for the exige, one for the esprit. Not sure about the best/nicest position for them, this thread helps alot!!

Also think their charge cooler header tanks look good.

Cor