Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
...I'm (semi) back! - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

...I'm (semi) back!

...long time no see ^_^

Don't know how many faces I'll still recognize (they may now have too many wrinkles :)) or whether or not you all converted my bedroom into a sewing room for mom and sold off all my stuff, but it's good to be back nonetheless :( Believe me I WISH I could have spent the last year or so hanging around on Lotus forums all the time, for some reason this hasn't quite been an option :)

The bad news is that very soon I think I'm probably going to have to divest myself of the Esprit :( After five or so wonderous, playboyish years enjoying the delightfully irresponsible state of Esprit ownership, adulthood has kicked in and my income and capital will have to be refocused to tasks more in line with... life in general as a starving college graduate. To that end I now can't responsibly afford to maintain or concern myself with the Lotus to the extent that the car deserves, so I think it's time to let it go.

No regrets though on ever having it, one of the best experiences in my life. B) So I was looking on replacing it with a new Smart, or a Yaris, or something silly like that when my dad cued me in on one of these up in his area up north (I guess he knew that something a bit more sinister still appealed to me and took advantage of that :) )

DSCN3654corrected2.jpg

ok, I'm sure that no one else would have willingly among all the choices picked the 280Z, but there really was no question in my mind after driving this particular example. 1975 was the first year for EFI, and with this car's 6 cylinder its ridiculously smooth and torquey, wonderful on the freeway. Plus it's nearly 100% original (old maaco paintjob with a few herpes in it excepted, as soon as income builds a bit it'll be yellow/orange/lime green because I'm a fairy that way). The gearchange is the best of any car I've ever driven, everything feels solid and precise, lots of little thoughtfully engineered things, rivaling my brother's 50s Benz in quality... It's amazingly solid, and a remarkably easy daily driver. Drives like a modern sports car, but feels rawer.

...It's a complete coincidence that the above things I've noted are in direct correlation with common Lotus complaints :) There's something to be said for the Lotus, but this is a much more relaxed car that offers more performance without going balls out and having to worry about something blowing, the Lotus might be ultimately faster, but it doesn't feel like it. Plus the Datsun doesn't inspire as much worry, or dent my wallet at all... Around town fuel economy has been pretty average, but if I get it on the freeway I get nearly 30 mpg (my first drive in it was actually 300 or so miles across the state).

DSCN3634Large.jpg

genimage8.jpg

(yes, all the original interior is intact under all the pubic hair plush and velour)

My dad owned at least four of these things (a couple 240s, a 260, and a 280ZX), as has nearly everyone else in my family at one point, so these cars have always had memories for me, and it's occured to me recently how not common they are anymore, especially in anything like good condition...

Don't worry though. I can see myself somehow winding up with another Esprit in a few years ^_^

Cheers, look forward with taking my current off-time to catch up for a bit :D

"It's called a fire hydrant. Firemen like to stick their hose in it, and eventually squirt water from it."

Owner of 86 TE HCI, and 55 Chevy. Stare at broken down TR7

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back, Slade, and a 70s Z-car is as bitchin' retro cool as as Lenny Kravitz. B)

Nice choice, well done.

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

^_^ Dude !! your back! wish you didn't have to sell up though :):

Лотос - для тех которые знают разницу

ENIGMA for those who are paranoid or download one :)

And on the bright side, you've already got the jacket and glasses to go with it ^_^ Good to see you back!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I probably would have put the 280 on my wish list.

They are truly a great car, the styling is very reminiscent of another car I like, just a Japanese take on it.

AND it has Japanese bits driving it, making the lights work etc.

OK it's not an Esprit, but who cares, it's a great car.

Andy

• Gold FFM

About bloomin time! 9 or 10 months away - thought you'd taken a vacation and got lost.

Great 70's mobile. Long time since I can remember seeing one of those Z's on the road.

Hope you don't regret selling the Esprit though.

Good to hear from you again.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Nice to hear from you, Slade. Good to see you are sticking with a classic car. Not growing up entirely, then. Are you going to fit your special license plate?

If you become a fully paid up member of the Forum supporters you can advertise your Esprit on here. Be nice to see it go to a good home.

You know, you don't have to own an Esprit to post on here so don't be a stranger.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Slade, you're "preaching to the choir." My very first NEW car was a 1971 240Z with all the bells and whistles. In those days the "fastback" styling was still quite unique, and is still pleasing to the eye to this day. Good on you!

Regards,

John

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

Hi Mate.

So you have to sell the Esprit to be a sensible adult and then buy a much older Nissan? Erm.......why?

Nice to see you back and to see your signature banners again!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer