Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Adventures in marshalling! - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Adventures in marshalling!

more like Brad in the pits

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

Did you not have time to stike the standard 'Bibs pose' - Lying down, horizontal, propped up on elbow? :)

Nice pic.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

...and as long as you remember to duck...

I see attachment is not opening up...will try to rectify when I talk to my IT brother...

Edited by cjtpb13

• 2 weeks later...

First day of my weekend at Brands Hatch today for the A1GP.

If anyone is watching it on the telly tomorrow (it's the finale so will be excellent racing :P) keep an eye out for the good looking orange bloke either gridding up the back left of the grid in the support races or on the rear spoiler of the A1GP cars who come in the top 3 and have to be weighed, that'll be me :bounce:

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0527.jpg

IMG_0528-1.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

IMG_0530.jpg

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Have a blast, Bibs! And this time, if you encounter a burning Ferrari, please take as many photos as possible of the conflagration before employing the extinguisher! :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• 4 weeks later...

Just in case anyone needed a final push to join me on the bank of a racetrack, marshals get 50% off all EBC products. Ordered a full set of yellow stuff pads today,

• 1 month later...

Excellent stuff !

If I had the time/freedom, I

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

Yes. I just read about that. Sounds very nasty. A wheel and tyre are bloody heavy. I hope he's going to be OK.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Really sorry to hear about this!!

Just read this

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/77088

Terrible news and heartfelt sympathy for his family.

In fairness I also feel for you guys the marshalls!! Hopefully someone can provide any help for them too.

Edited by th4neuk

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

• Gold FFM
fingers crossed Henry Surtees is ok. He was helicoptered off after collecting a wheel in the head at great speed.

Saw this live on Eurosport in the F2 race. I've always assumed this sort of accident was possible with wheels when they break loose after an accident, but never actually seen it before in a racing incident where another driver gets hit in the helmet.

It looked like a million to one chance freak racing incident and a bad one immediately.

Terrible news.

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

• Gold FFM

I also think this sort of incident is vertually impossible to guard against unless the drivers helmet is protected within some sort of roll cage (ala dragsters) It would protect the driver but then brings a complete new set of problems when/if trying to remove a driver in the event of fire or other. Most open wheel racing cars now have the wheel teathers to stop this happening but no way can that be 100% guaranteed either.

Edited by mayesprit

I feel desperately sad for his parents, to help and encourage your children in their chosen field is the aim of any parent, this is just so terribly sad.

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• 1 month later...
Formula One would not be able to operate safely without the services and support of thousands of volunteer race marshals. The marshals carry out the crucial task of providing safety cover at all types of race meeting held every weekend all over the world. Standing out on the circuit and in the pit lane in all weathers, these dedicated men and women ask for no payment for their time. They do it simply for the love of motorsport.

Marshals are responsible for a number of areas during a race meeting ranging from working in the pit lane providing fire cover, trackside or in parc ferme. The marshals will usually be first on the scene of an accident and help the driver from his car if required, provide fire safety cover and ensure that the track is clear of debris following an accident.

One of the most important roles is that of the flag marshals. Flags are used around the track to send signals to the drivers which can be easily seen and recognised so the drivers are up-to-date with the track status even if they suffer a radio communications failure. Yellow flags indicate an incident at a certain section of the track whilst blue flags advise a driver that they are holding up a competitor who is ahead of them in the race and they should let them past.

The marshals frequently use whistles to communicate with each other trackside as whistles are one of the few instruments whose sound can be heard above the roar of racing engines.

Marshalling is a fantastically rewarding role which anyone can train for. All that is required is an interest in motorsport, common sense and a reasonably developed sense of self-preservation!

Most people get started in marshalling by attending a taster day at the circuit nearest to them. Prospective volunteers spend the day with a very experienced team who take them through the various elements and get them involved in as many areas as possible during the course of the day.

For those who decide to take it further, the British Motorsport Marshals Club (BMMC) offer a training scheme which has also been adopted by the Motor Sports Association (MSA), the governing body of UK motorsport. The scheme has been so successful that it has also been taken up by many other countries in the world and so marshalling abroad is something that many UK marshals do regularly.

At the end of the 2009 Formula One season, 250 British marshals will be travelling to Abu Dhabi to marshal at the last Grand Prix of the season and train the local marshals at the same time.

If you would like to find out more about marshalling, just visit the BMMC’s website at http://www.marshals.co.uk where you will find lots of useful information and contact details.

Marshals fulfil a crucial role in motorsport and without their commitments we would be unable to go racing every fortnight. To thank the volunteers for their unstinting support, Brawn GP has been pleased to offer a number of tours of our Brackley headquarters to the BMMC to give groups of their marshals an insight into motorsport from a slightly different perspective.