Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Project Sport 500 - Page 2 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Project Sport 500

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Wow beautiful parts, are the piston crowns ceramic coated they look like it? Got those on the wish list!! Promise us to do a show and tell of how you assemble, fitting and wrenching etc. :P

Spot on Kylie, the crowns are Keronite coated

have a look at their website : http://www.keronite.co.uk/

Here's my stuff!

lotusenginerr052zr8.jpg

lotusenginerr052zr8.0eea314d29.jpg

lotusenginerr053hz0.jpg

w320.png

Artie

You were right, your rods look the same as mine. I will ask Garry where he's got them from

What's your crown treatment ?

Artie, I asked Garry about the rods and he says he is does not want to disclose the manufacturer. Sorry, mate

New update

Coming along nicely, I'd say

Just love the closed deck design, makes so much sense

post-1772-1224860508.jpg

post-1772-1224860535.jpg

post-1772-1224860552.jpg

post-1772-1224860566.jpg

post-1772-1224860583.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Stef,

I didn't figure he'd reveal the manufacturer! NOt unusual in these types of apps! Looks awesome. The coating on the pistons is a heavy duty ceramic coating that also acts as a nonstick coating to help prevent carbon buildup. I love the closed deck design, that's what lot's of Honda guys do to close up the deck on their engines. Keeps the liners from jumping around! I'd love to do that too. I'd assume it is a little more necessary with a bore that large and that much more displacement vs. stock. Hope to be right there with you very soon. My liners should be on their way back to me by the end of next week.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

its fair not to disclose the manifacturer,

but its good to know all the specs like bore, rod length,

rod to stroke ratio etc.

ur right lots of honda guys use the block guards,

I did on mine, they work great to cure cylinder walking

& premature gasket failures on drag strips where they

run for short peiods of time,

but on the street temps stay sligtly higher and create hot

spots right on top and sometimes that causes detonations,

thats y I was curious on the thickness it looks like it has 2

holes on the hot side and 1 on the intake of the plate I dont

know if thats enough,

lately on the hondas they use scaloped guards to let more

coolant pass to cure that problem, but I didnt try them, I went

with posting with great sucsess

lookin good,

how thick is the deck plate?

also are the pistons over size?

Tony

The deck is 5 mm,

- 97 mm bore

- 87.5 mm stroke

Stef,

I didn't figure he'd reveal the manufacturer! NOt unusual in these types of apps! Looks awesome. The coating on the pistons is a heavy duty ceramic coating that also acts as a nonstick coating to help prevent carbon buildup. I love the closed deck design, that's what lot's of Honda guys do to close up the deck on their engines. Keeps the liners from jumping around! I'd love to do that too. I'd assume it is a little more necessary with a bore that large and that much more displacement vs. stock. Hope to be right there with you very soon. My liners should be on their way back to me by the end of next week.

Artie

Artie

You are right about the bore, that's why the head is locked to the block using 10 dowells !

In addition, all parts are hot honed (at engine working temperature ) to give the tightest tolerances possible

Mind if I cut in ?

Oh, I'm sure Kemp has all the latest greatest to do the job right! Looks the Treat Mate. Can't wait to have her up and running again as I am I bet!

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

• 3 weeks later...

As we are slowly putting the engine together ( Garry needed to send parts yet )

other pieces got zink coated in the meantime.

I want the engine bay look as tidy as the inside of my Power Mac G5 :censored:

I hope I can show you new engine piccies soon.

Cheers

Stef

post-1772-1226577569.jpg

Mind if I cut in ?

How did you get that lot yellow passivated its been outlawed in Europe. We have a silver/blue passervate coating now. Just curious?

Don't know Buddsy

But I will inquire about it.

Will let you know as soon as I have the anwser

Stefan

Mind if I cut in ?

Buddsy you Bugga :censored:

Really got me, but nevertheless, I got an answer : they call it yellow chromatised.

But I guess this means more to you coming from the tool making industry than for me who only knows about parachutes :innocent:

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

'chromatised' instead of the not healthy 'cadmium-plated' is all up to date - you joking guys !! B)

PS. @Stefan -thats looking good man, love it !

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I did post this earlier in the tread:

This is gona be a serios engine..no question about that.

What gearbox mod are you gona use?

Are you gona use a aftermarked ECU?

And a purpose build engine like yours is gona be usable with 600bhp+ for track use.May be not for 24hour,,but who knows?When Lotus raced 24h LeMans the engine lased 9h and 16hour before headgasked failure do to heatsoak when in the pit.And your engine parts are tested to withstand 900bhp+.

I have maxed out my engine with a 3076 turbo with racefuel (1,65bar of boost and hige timing) on a stock crank,pistons,rods and crank.May be 480-530bhp, so you will be more than fine with 500bhp on your engine.

It looks like the biggest problem is the headgasked problem do the the stock liners.Witch is more than solved in your engine now.

I belive this is what we all should have done...you can probably stay flatout on the autobahn for a long time now :)

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Rydning

Thanks for your comments.

You are right, this engine has been tested in drag racing to produce 1000 bhp and with the closed deck design one doesn't have to worry about head gasket failure.

Garry Kemp told me it is almost irrelevant what kind of head gasket one uses.

For the moment I will stick with the gear box and the ECU I have until we have first results on performance.

I have planned though to stick in R&Bs 6 speed dog box next.

About the ECU I am not certain what to do as a new one would mean a new wiring harness and tuning.

As I am not race orientated but rather scare some of the Gallardos and Turbo Porkers around my area ( Luxembourg is full of them ) I guess I can stay with Marcus' red race chip :D

@ G

Mind if I cut in ?

• Gold FFM

Stefan, your postbox is full :hrhr: -'please open the door'

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 1 month later...

Sorry lads for the long silence. I guess I belong to the plan B group of people. :smoke:

We have now all missing parts in house and as you can see from the piccies the engine is taking shape.

I like the idea of the oil scrapers and slots inside the block which will constantly keep all of the oil down.

Here is the full explanation from the expert ( Garry )

The scrapers in the block are called crank scrapers

post-1772-1231434528_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1231434555_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1231434586_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1231436546_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

Hey Stefan,

Great stuff and nice to see it starting to come together.

I can

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

Looks great Stefan.

At that sort of money though, over here in Oz I will happily 'putt' around in my standard S4. Keep the updates coming.

Michael.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

How are the scrapers attached?

Hi Sanj, see photo attached

Just got back from a business trip ( sometime we all have to work to pay for all of this madness ) :)

Sorry to only have two pictures for you today. It shows the fitting and adjusting of the rods

post-1772-1231951705_thumb.jpg

post-1772-1231952414_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?