Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Exhaust for a 1990 SE - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Exhaust for a 1990 SE

What exhaust can I put on a SE that has a louder deeper more throaty sound?I live in California so I have to leave the cats alone!!! Also I dont want to break the bank,will I be able to run a dual tip or does that mean dual exhaust cans also? Thanks in advance!!!

?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may have seen my other post about exhausts and cats on here a week or so ago. Anyway finished building my system yesterday afternoon and more than pleased. (will post more pictures later.)

It's got a very deep note and is quiet. Except if I stomp on it although it's still not raucous or overly loud. On the highway it's not at all obtrusive. I used 70mm piping from the cat and the two mufflers as you can see are straight through. I was also able to centre and tuck the mufflers behind the diffuser so they hidden from view.

I think the car now has it's own distinctive, even classy, note which doesn't try to be something it's not.

Espritexhaustreplacementaug08006.jpg

Espritexhaustreplacementaug08005.jpg

DanR

so how about the actual the actual setup? are you guys running straight pipes from the cat back? or direct from the turbo? whats the difference between running a cat delete versus just continuing the pipe past that part? seems a ton cheaper then buying a $250 cat delete pipe....

also, how are your guy setups when it comes to backfire? ive seen/heard a lot of custom setups where they sound good when accelerating but pop and sputter like no other when they let off the pedal.... any tricks to avoiding the pops??

shade

My cat is long since empty and I don't need it for my age of car anyway here in the UK. The rest of the exhaust is straight 3" stainless pipes, no silencers and it measures at 114dB. It pops and cackles like a b*stard on overrun and the flames can be huge! The system is the Quicksilver Supersport.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

It's in the wiki...

Having driven behind Bibs I can confirm the noise and flames are superb.

I love the guys comments whilst filming bibs pulling away in that video "Jesus Christ" I think said it all! :(

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

His CAT was empty, nowt in it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I have retrofitted Remus quads on my 1991 SE, came with the car. Very happy with it's looks and sound; problem is I have nothing to compare it to as I have never heard another SE than mine in the flesh...

lo.jpg

This way to ship models! http://www.modelship...user-index.html

AELLEF_Esprit_27.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I've run it now for a few weeks and pleased with the result. Not for somebody who wants to turn heads everywhere as there are noisier systems about. I really enjoy the deep burble and different "character" of the new sound. Can still be loud when I'm on higher boost levels but because it's so deep it's not irritating. Interestingly my idle was too high at first but after a run or two the ECU adjusted it back and it's a bit smoother so I guess that indicates less backpressure too.

I had to make a goose neck from the cat to the first muffler which I did by stitching a few sections of mandrel bends. The perforated straight through pipe in the mufflers is at a slight angle. Also cost less than $300 all up so pleased with that too. Whether or not I follow up with a full SS system I'm not sure about at the moment, as there are too many other things I need to do first.

Espritexhaustreplacementaug08008.jpg

Espritexhaustreplacementaug08012.jpg

Edited by DanR

DanR

the 1st upgrate I did on the car the 1st week I got it was

cleand up the cat internals, k&n filter and did the ram air mod,

and it made the exhaust louder and much better but not excelent

sounded like a meaner sowing machine from a quiet sowing machine

give it a try it will all look like stock and free except the filter

& Im sure u dont except to pass emissions :dizzy: after that