Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Pics of your car in noteworthy places - Page 3 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Pics of your car in noteworthy places

Aaaah the Europa. It's the Esprit's daddy. ;)

I still remember Autocar testing a Twin-cam Special and getting 50 mpg at 50 mph. Ideal for today's conditions. Also Setright wrote in Car magazine that it was the only car he ever drove that cornered so hard it could throw its (mechanically-tuned) radio off tune in the bends.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A '73 twincam got me started with loti, that I traded in on a new S1 back in 1977....

The europa when I got it had d70 wide tires on the back, with a couple of the inner treads worn out. Would hydroplane at 43mph. Had one of the carbs hooked up to the choke cable, instant cruse control. Actually I heard that the PO was a young lady in college, so her dad tamed it down some. Hooked up the second carb, and decided to test (with the bad tires on the back). Was doing about 50, and lost the rear, and it went from side to side about 8 times, with the rear in front of the front wheels a couple of times. Actually saved it, cleaned pants, and continued on.

That was the only car I ever owned that you could turn down a side street at 50-55mph without squeeling the tires. (then pirelli cn-36's - would then go through water at 80mph!)...

Was drafting a semi on a trip from West Virginia to Texas for about 40 or 50 miles, and he did a quick lane change that I was blocked in from doing. Right then his air hose blew off the cab to the trailer, locking up the trailer brakes. With 4 or 5 cars around, he managed to get it to the berm and hugging the guard rail. No one wrecked, and the smoke was so thick the truck absolutely disappeared. Would have been a serious crash if I was still 5 feet off his trailer bumper. One lucky sob....

Before I moved it to Texas, my father drove it to work for a couple of weeks, until when he stopped at a stop sign, and there was a dog standing on the sidewalk looking down at him. He took it home, and would not drive it again.

My mother, who was rather large, decided she wanted to see what it was like to sit behind the wheel. So she got in, and could not get out. It was mid day, and no one else was home. Said it took her almost an hour to finally get out, and once she had, her galstones were gone!

Going to have to have another twin cam some day soon!

The title for this thread calls for car pics in "noteworthy places". That should disqualify my messy garage. Still, the recent comments about the Europa call for a picture of the Lotus fleet at home. (Assuming that I have atteahed the picture correctly - bit of a Luddite at the keyboard)

post-1393-1221708597.jpg

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

I love it! 15 posts in 2&1/2 yrs., and all it takes is a 34 year old Europa to lure Mike "out of the woodwork."

Colin is upstairs with a beaming grin, and quietly chuckling.

Don't be such a stranger, Mike. Any garage with a Lotus in it is "noteworthy"! (and you did just fine with the pic) :scared:

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

post-1393-1221794357.jpgpost-1393-1221794383.jpgWell, the woodwork can be a very comfortable place at times.

To start worming my way out of the wood, here are a couple of international shots showing my V8. In both pictures the car, beach and boats, are in Canada. Thesewere taken just down the hill from home in white Rock. The land across the bay in the background is part of Washington State in the US of A.

Mike

'97 V8

'73 Europa TC

'10 Elise SC

• 1 month later...