IGNORED

Carbs on fire

Couger

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was driving along the motorway at speed changing from 4th to 5th when I lost my clutch pedal just fell to the floor.. it is just dangling now with no tension, could this be just the cable?? anyway I managed to crawl into a layby where I got out to notice the car was on fire.. The little green plastic thing in the middle of the carbs had melted and caught fire.. sounds worse than it was.. looked real bad all the smoke and flames but soon put it out.. anyway what is this green plastic thing...

Thanks

Ian 90 flame grilled turbo :)

Im Brian and so is my wife

Fcuk me, I'd have dropped a load if that were me!

Err, clutch could be the cable, most likely, might even have come unclipped from the pedal, or could be seals on master or slave cylinder, any leaks?

Fire, my god, not ideal. Err, not sure what that tube is but I'll look it up now. How did you put the fire out? I've got an extinguisher on board but would be reluctant to open the hatch for fear or air rushing in and fire rushing out and would probo just point it in a wheel arch to try to help...

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Fcuk me, I'd have dropped a load if that were me!

Err, clutch could be the cable, most likely, might even have come unclipped from the pedal, or could be seals on master or slave cylinder, any leaks?

Fire, my god, not ideal. Err, not sure what that tube is but I'll look it up now. How did you put the fire out? I've got an extinguisher on board but would be reluctant to open the hatch for fear or air rushing in and fire rushing out and would probo just point it in a wheel arch to try to help...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Bibs

No just squirted the extinguiser down the rear vents it went out pretty much straight away... just been talking to Steve at SJ he thinks a leak from the carbs has caught fire and ran down and melted the clutch hose, It must be hydraulic.. therefore no clutch.. thats an easy one.. as for the carbs Ive asked for my old carbs back off my old engine and am getting them sent up first class, as these were perfect even tho the engine was caputted. :)

That makes sense to be fair, good time to upgrade to the stainless steel clutch hose too, easy, cheap and good mod :)

Sorry to hear you've had more probs tho' dude... :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I must admit there was a point when I was thinking.. Burn.. Burn.... LOL :)

3 days.. Ive finally swapped over my carbs, what a fiddley bloody job.. shes running lovely now, I noticed all sorts of things when I was doing it like the distributor, and things you normally see on a normal car quite easily.. I wish Id changed a few things while they were off.. you always think of these things when its too late. :rolleyes:

Ian