Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Quaife users - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Quaife users

Che

I recently installed a quaife and an upgrade strong GTO transmission shaft to my UN1 transmission.

I noticed a whinny sound, not severe but noticeable.

I read some of the threads before installation. According to some, the quaife is a dropdown installation

without backlash adjustment to the planet gear & pinion. I don't know if I am getting the proper

instruction from my research.

I'm also not pointing finger to the quaife, perhaps also to the GTO new 1st-2nd gear and shaft?

The transmission is running ok and shift like a butter but the whinny sound is something new. As I said

not severe but noticeable.

Can someone advice?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No specific knowledge of this mod, but are you sure it's not a 'straight cut' gear set. I had s/c gears in a couple of racing cars and they all whine I think.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

I have the same setup as yours (primary shaft from GTO engineering + Quaife LSD)

I have no problem at all, except the different way to shift into 1st gear.

I still have some issue to align the reverse gear. (sometimes it cannot be engaged)

but I will do the alignment during my next oil change.

anyway, back to the subject.

after this new setup, the stop n go action is not as responsive as the original setup.

but rolling start is very quick!

my suggestion is, with the Quaife, do not attempt to do traffic light burnout from resting.

it's not good for a car with or without a mod anyway.

note: the new GTO shaft is noise and generate more heat (higher temperature) in the gearbox.

*this may affect city drive, which I try to avoid not to get into heavy traffic in downtown.

Edited by esprithk

I have the same setup as yours (primary shaft from GTO engineering + Quaife LSD)

I have no problem at all, except the different way to shift into 1st gear.

I still have some issue to align the reverse gear. (sometimes it cannot be engaged)

but I will do the alignment during my next oil change.

anyway, back to the subject.

after this new setup, the stop n go action is not as responsive as the original setup.

but rolling start is very quick!

my suggestion is, with the Quaife, do not attempt to do traffic light burnout from resting.

it's not good for a car with or without a mod anyway.

note: the new GTO shaft is noise and generate more heat (higher temperature) in the gearbox.

*this may affect city drive, which I try to avoid not to get into heavy traffic in downtown.

Hi,

I don't under what you mean by the 'stop n go action' unless this is refering to the slightly higher 1st ratio? Which I only noticed when moving of gently as its a little more difficult. Quicker starts I don't notice any difference and I guess I wouldn't notice if I was really agressive as well... except for the flailing drive shaft noises!!

I am also interested by your saying the box is generating more heat? How have you become aware of this yourself please? And why? I can't see that the different style of cut on 1st gear would make the difference? So is it the Quaife Diff that is generating much more heat?

As far as extra noise there is additional noise but only in first gear.. If you drive slowly in 1st alternating between accelerating gently and slowing (with the window open so you can hear better) its obvious its the straight cut 1st gear meshing (the extra noise is one reason manufacturers stopped using straight cut gear on everyday road cars)... If you have this noise or similair in other gears then that doesn't seem right to me...

Other than the slightly higher 1st gear ratio and the straight cut gear noise in 1st I couldn't tell any difference from a standard box to the one I have now.

Jeff H

Ps. GTO Engineering did my box for me two years ago and its been fine.

Edited by jeff_hooper

'I would agree with Islandbloke in saying that is probably just your straight cut first and second gears that are making the whining noise.'

YES! seems I can hear more at first and 2nd gear. First and second gear came with GTO kit.

As I said, I'm not pointing fingers on the quaife. I'm not too sure if the quaife is the one that is whinning.

Is the GTO gears a straight cut? To be honest, I don't know if its a straight cut.

Edited by Che

I have the same setup but I had the Quaife ATB diff before the GTO upgrade. The ATB does not whine. The GTO upgrade has a straight cut 1st gear and this does whine (but I think it is a good noise, quite racy!), 2nd gear is not straight cut but also whines but much less than 1st. I find the ratios much better than stock. 1st is now long enough to be useful whereas before if you were to accelerate hard in 1st you could spin up the wheels and run out of revs very quickly. I am very pleased with the gearbox now.

cheers

-Chris

I have the same setup but I had the Quaife ATB diff before the GTO upgrade. The ATB does not whine. The GTO upgrade has a straight cut 1st gear and this does whine (but I think it is a good noise, quite racy!), 2nd gear is not straight cut but also whines but much less than 1st. I find the ratios much better than stock. 1st is now long enough to be useful whereas before if you were to accelerate hard in 1st you could spin up the wheels and run out of revs very quickly. I am very pleased with the gearbox now.

cheers

-Chris

Thanks Chris---that's what I like to hear. I can hear a whinny sound @ 1st & 2nd and getting used to it. Yeah, almost like a racy race car whine. The tranny shift better than the stock.

Now I can shift faster from 1st to 2nd. Before, I can't do a fast shifting from 1st to 2nd, it will grind. Rice boys will no longer poke my eyes at the traffic light.

Hi Che,

Sadly you should not be able to do faster shifting. It is probably better now due to the rebuild and perhaps new syncromesh but these are no stronger than the standard items ( they are the standard items as far as I know) and so you will soon crunch the gears if you do this. The Renault box has a relatively slow natural gear change and it shouldn't be rushed.

I think you will give the rice boys a harder time since the gearing is better allowing you to exploit the power in 1st better but you still need to let it take its time when changing into 2nd and then you are off again. Think of it like teasing them, pull away quickly, have a subtle pause while you change gear and then show them a better view of your tail lights disappearing. :)

cheers

-Chris

I would assume that the single piece input shaft would require careful alignment while bolting the transmission to the engine. Or else it could suffer some side loading of the bearings or worse...

And yes the differential preload does need to be readjusted, following Lotus' procedure in the shop manual, anytime the differential is replaced or bearings are changed.

The differential preload is controlled by the castellated nut on the right side of the transmission output shaft. It is measured, box out of the car, by pulling on the crown-wheel with a spring scale for a required amount of drag.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Che,

Travis is 100% right, solid shaft needs careful alighnment,

if u here it in second gear theres some thing wrong,

1st gear is the only one streight cut I belive, but second shouldend

sound any different than stock,

Chris,

I belive 1st to 2nd shift should be little quicker due to change

to closer ratios

Edited by Tony94S4

I would assume that the single piece input shaft would require careful alignment while bolting the transmission to the engine. Or else it could suffer some side loading of the bearings or worse...

And yes the differential preload does need to be readjusted, following Lotus' procedure in the shop manual, anytime the differential is replaced or bearings are changed.

The differential preload is controlled by the castellated nut on the right side of the transmission output shaft. It is measured, box out of the car, by pulling on the crown-wheel with a spring scale for a required amount of drag.

Travis---- are you talking about the shaft I bought from GTO that must be accurately align with the engine when

mating the shaft spline?

The GTO shaft came with a shoulder bearing. The shaft is resting to the engine block pilot bearing.

If the shaft is not align, how can I possibly align it straight to the block?

I assumed, everything fits when you

close the transmission housing and bolting the bell housing otherwise the transmission case will not close.

The original Renault/Lotus 2 piece input shaft was meant to take up tolerances and small mis-alignments, and make it easier to install the transmission.

The one piece shaft requires perfect alignment before the units are bolted together. it also requires that the bolts are tightened in a pattern that brings the units together evenly without pulling anything to one side. There are two dowels that attempt to hold the transmission in alignment with the block, but they aren't that precise.

If you have whine issues, I would be tempted to check the differential preload and attempt to bolt the transmission back up to the block in a way that will not side load the shaft into the bearings.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

Mine whines in 1st (for the obvious, straight cut, reason) and a little in 2nd but this is much less pronounced. I have put this down to the new gear and the existing gear bedding in. It is generally only noticeable on deceleration but that might be due to less engine noise. However mine is pretty quiet with the standard rear box.

If the shaft was out of align I would expect to hear a whine in all gears not just 1st and 2nd.

I am also not convinced the change between 1st and 2nd should be appreciably faster due to the closer ratios of 1st and 2nd. Admittedly 1st is taller but so is 2nd so they are not that much closer. If you rush the gear change you will wear out the 2nd gear syncro.

cheers

-Chris

Chris,

whats the ratio on the 1st and second gear on the gto kit,

its been posted before but cant remember, maybe if ratios changed

can improve the 1st to second shift,

I havent tried power shifting on the v8 yet, but on the s4 if I pushed

the clutch and power shifted @ the same time it would grind,

but I learned a technic if I push the clutch 1st and shift after fraction of

a second I can power shift or tap the lever as fast as I can and it will go

to second with no problem, so the revs have to drop quicker

will try it on the V8 and see @ what different revs it shifts the best

hope that will help me decide on the ratios on my custom shaft

Che,

sorry for going little of topping

Mine whines in 1st (for the obvious, straight cut, reason) and a little in 2nd but this is much less pronounced. I have put this down to the new gear and the existing gear bedding in. It is generally only noticeable on deceleration but that might be due to less engine noise. However mine is pretty quiet with the standard rear box.

If the shaft was out of align I would expect to hear a whine in all gears not just 1st and 2nd.

I found exactly the same. There's a very obvious straight cut whine in first and a slight whine in second.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• 11 months later...
  • Gold FFM

sorry for lifting an old theme up, bud what i want to know is:

who has got an sports diff recently -any reference on actual prices ?!

Edited by G

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• Gold FFM

hey great thing, 675GBP (or around 750Euros) is something to mention, if i will build up an second gearbox for me.

Think you can imagine how surprising it is to read this, if there are offers on German pages who say it's something to be 1700Euros :)

US sellers have them for $2400 ($1600 Euros) as well.

At the time I got mine, the conversion rate $->

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

• Gold FFM

Neal , ..Travis has got his differential, no more need to transfer one of those to the US :D

..what i meant was the 'mysterious' difference on the two known German 'free' dealers/garages for Lotus parts -compared with the GTO price & exchange rate. So would it be possible to by it from GTO in the mainland (as I and several others will be there while its *LEF factory frolic*) -or should i get in contact with some of the GB members to get one !? Sounds like 'discrimination' :)

Hi G

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica