Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Anyone like Whisky? - General Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Anyone like Whisky?

EspritMiltonKeynes

Anyone like whisky here? And by that I mean Single Malt Scotch... One of the things I've loved so much about moving up to Scotland 2 years ago is the fact it's just so damn easy to get hold of the good stuff up here! :D I'm part of my university's whisky society and we have quite a bit of fun with the stuff! :whistle:

I know it's a bit of an old-man thing to do, a bit like golf and classic cars but I don't care. I'm 24 going on 54 and always have been! :)

1. Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old - one of the most underrated whiskies in the world IMHO.

2. Laguvullin 16 Year Old - The double matured variety is just out of this world. But the standard edition is great too - my favourite Islay.

3. Caol Ila Distiller's Edition - :)

4. Old Pultney - seriously good stuff!

5. Longrow 12yo - the smokey Campbletown - ace!

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit to being a complete muppet when it comes to knowing one whisky from another, I am yet to taste one I dont like. I have grown to quite fancy this one though over the last year.......

.......Sorry for drifting off topic a little.

Malc

Completely agree with your no1 choice.

I'm not too fond of extremely smoky ones, but it needs to have a distinct flavour, Dalwhinnie achieves that.

I worked for Sainsburys for a few years, at one point a depot must have discovered a few cases of scotch tucked away, and sent it to our store, the buyer didn't have a price on file, the product have been discontinued for so long before the depot found it. So he set a price we could sell it at (and we would be charged that price).

That night I walked away

I love the Talisker, Cao Ila is also nice :whistle:

But the best so far is Aberlour A bunadh Cask Strength.

If I also may throw in a blended scotch: Johnny Walker Blue Label is superb!

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Bruichladdich.....if you haven't tried it before, not too easy to find, but the older the better. Magnificent stuff. When moving a boat from the Canal de Nivernais to Briare on the Canal Lateral a la Loire in February 2006, I had my first encounter with this magic fluid. My oppo Rex handed me the bottle...I pulled the cork...took a small sip...then a draught...then threw the cork into the canal, as we wouldn't be needing it again!!! Knocked Lagavulin and all the others into a cocked hat.

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I agree with Andy. I don't like the heavy smoked or Peat flavoured ones.

I have a 16 year old bottle of Lagavulin single Islay Malt here and it's just too peaty for me (going spare to anyone who wants it).

But....and I know it's corny. I don't think you can beat the smooth Glenfiddich 12 or 15 year old for sheer drinkability and here's the daddy for me. I had a bottle of this and drank it a thimblefull at a time...absolutely stunning!

http://shop.glenfiddich.com/shop/prod_gran_reserve_21.html

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Glenfiddich well it would be but I don't drink, I did once so I can remember what I like, so since I can remember it must go to prove that I didn't drink enough, so now I don't know why I stopped. Must have been cause I figured I may as well since I stopped smoking too so why not become totally boring and untrustworthy.

I'm glad I got that off my chest, now what was the question oh yes Glenfiddich.

Roger :):D:):whistle::(

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I have grown to quite fancy this one though over the last year.......

I sincerely hope you're referring to the girl and not the contents of that Suntory bottle!

You may have been in Japan too long....

Glenfiddich 18 year master reserve for me.

and any bottle of Laguvullin 16 that may be going spare :whistle:

But....and I know it's corny. I don't think you can beat the smooth Glenfiddich 12 or 15 year old for sheer drinkability and here's the daddy for me. I had a bottle of this and drank it a thimblefull at a time...absolutely stunning!

I'm with you Kimbers glenfiddich or glenmorangie 12-15 single malts are smooth and mot rough like the older ones! I tried some Arran stuff wile there which was goood too

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

I haven't had a drink of anything alcoholic for over 5 years now (on medical instructions not by choice) but when I did indulge in a small drink or ten I only drank LAPHROAIG SINGLE MALT, one of the nicest tasting whiskies I have ever had, and Iv'e tried a few in my time. Give it a try.

Les

I'm going to go off on a tangent slightly (AEG, we do that).

I also like a moderate Vodka kept in a really effective freezer, the sort where the water crystallises out and the remaining alcohol pours more like a syrup than water. Do that with something like Smirnoff Black Label and it's really rather good, you don't notice getting P***ed, but you enjoy it when you're there.

Now Kimbers- :whistle: although I said I prefer the single malts which are not too smoky etc, I wouldn't say no to a bottle of an Islay malt. I might just take you up on that sort of offer.

Edited by andydclements

Kimbers,

If Andy hasn't already snaffled it, I'll do you a straight swap for a bottle of Glenfiddich

Graham

Wing Commander Dibble DFC<br /><br />
North Midlands Esprit Group<br /><br />
NMEG "the formidable squadron"<br /><br />
"probably the most active Esprit group in the world" Andy Betts, Castle Combe May 2007

Aarg. Special Brew the drink of champion....(alcoholics that is).

Graham. though your swap sounds tempting, it's rather a long way up to the midlands.

Andy. I Owe you a drink for sorting my car....consider it a rather large drink. Just collect it next time you're passing. Warning! It is extremely smokey.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Where's Yasuo when you need him!

Well, I didn't noticed this thred yesterday, becase I went bed earier after got a glass of " Glenfiddich" :P

Malc I know well the japanese "Suntory whisky" the factory was near Kyoto when I was Japan ...

I also want to vist Scotland one day to see/drink some nice single malt !

It will be nice LEF tour to Scotland one day :)

Y.Hotta

Hey if you're ever over here give us a shout! :P

There's loads of great 'whisky drives' here... Lots of Scandinavians are fans of whisky and you always see their names and locations in the distillery visitors books... Far outnumber Brits quite often!

Esjberg to Newcastle Ferry - and you're 2 hours from Edinburgh... or 1 in an Esprit! B)

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

1. The Macallan, 18yrs, sherry cask

2. The Macallan, 18yrs, sherry cask

3. The Macallan, 18yrs, sherry cask

4. The Macallan, 18yrs, sherry cask

5. The Macallan, 18yrs, sherry cask

And should the above stock be emptied for a reason, I always have a bottle of the Balvenie 21yrs port wood in my stash :P

Edited by Fandango

Mind if I cut in ?

With you on the Old Pultney, James. I love the stuff! The 18yo is particularly fine!

My current fav though is the Dalmore. I had a taste of the 60yo a few years ago -

Pete '79 S2

LEW Miss September 2009