Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Depreciating V8's - Esprit Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Depreciating V8's

jeff_hooper

With prices on nearly new supercars - modern Astons, Porsches 997 etc. dropping through the floor any thoughts on Esprit V8 residuals? If I was looking now I don't think I'd pay 15-20k for a 10 year old Esprit v8 when I could get a 5 year old Aston or 997 porker for

Edited by jeff_hooper

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a followon to Tim's comment may I suggest an (somewhat obvious?) analogy, the stockmarket. It, too, has "fallen like a stone," but until you sell it's a "paper loss" only (at least that's what I keep telling myself in order to maintain my sanity). The loss is not (to use the brokerage term) "realized" until you actually part with the shares. Same for a house, or any other capital asset. Values rise, values fall. It doesn't mean diddly 'till you sell.

I suspect that most of us didn't purchase our Esprits primarily as an "investment vehicle" (full pun intended). Automobiles, it should come as no surprise, can generally be expected to depreciate as time goes by. And, of course, the biggest "hit" is the day it's driven off the dealer's lot. And it goes without saying that the more expensive the original purchase price, the larger the depreciation will be in the first few years. As the majority of us acquired our Esprits from P.O.'s, most of that drop has already occurred. Any further depreciation should be expected to happen at a decreased rate. In any case, the near rarity of the car would seem to ensure a further "brake" on this slide in value. And, returning to the stock market analogy, there remains a more than decent chance that when the economic cycle heads north again (as it historically always has) and personal buying power rerurns, our Esprits may very well see appreciation. But again, that's not likely the major impetus for most of us in our decision to acquire the car. If it should happen, then it's simply "icing on the cake."

In the meantime, unless financial duress and individual circumstances call for an immediate sale (and I'm not so callous as to not be aware that this can and does happen from time to time--"there, but for the grace of God," etc.) we are "forced" to put up with enduring the burden of ownership of one of the world's most desirable motorcars. Oh damn. B)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

In theory mine is worth more than it's cost me, but there again I haven't tried to sell it, so it's just theory. There again if I were to cost in my time, it's a thumping great loss! :)

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

I didnt buy mine as an investment, I bought it for pure love and a childhood dream. I have my Esprit now and as far as I am concerned, they can bury me in it. I will never sell it, I may buy another, but I will never sell it. But thats just me........ :)

esprit prices are suffering considerably less than most as far as I can see.

Astons and Porsches are pretty much production cars whatever the badge and suffer with depreciation as one.

Esprit even the late v8's have already achieved a cult/classic status it would appear which may help buoy values a little. Even at 15-20K you have to remember you are getting serious bang and looks for your money!!

It all depends what you want, you can have a much newer 996 porsche for 10K onwards now but if you want a Supercar there aren't many that won't be nails at that kind of money. Lotus is a good choice at a reasonable price to get you into a supercar!!

PS at 40K I'd stretch it a little and go for a 550 ferrari!!

It's definately a buyers market but this holds true for every single car out there except hybrids (The Civic and Prius have seen book raises in excess of

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

Whichever way you look at it, as the V8s fall - they'll push the GT3s, the S4 and the SE's down with them. Even the S300, S4S and S350 will suffer somewhat...

The thought that you may soon be able to buy a V8 around the

Edited by EspritMiltonKeynes

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Whichever way you look at it, as the V8s fall - they'll push the GT3s, the S4 and the SE's down with them. Even the S300, S4S and S350 will suffer somewhat...

The thought that you may soon be able to buy a V8 around the

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

I agree. It's that name "V8" I'm afraid. Anything more than 6 are dropping quicker than a cheap prostitutes knickers and will do so ad infinitum due to fuel costs (it may be cheap now but over the long term it will only get worse), Co2 and running costs.

The 4 Cyl however just isn't being effected like that and I can see the V8's going below the 4's and the 4's appreciating for exactly the opposite reasons as the V8.

That said, if you have always wanted a V8 now is the time to buy as I truely believe the engine will just not make economic sense, even in supercars, within 5-10 years. You'll definately see a massive reduction in new cars being released with V8's.

6 is the new 8. The GTR has proved it and the Evora will confirm it.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

I agree and disagree wiht much of the above. The fact is that the V8 Esprit are the"newer" Esprits out there. They will fall and have fallen to a point at wich they will not fall any further. They are still slipping a tad because of the market - but nobody is selling right now. Cars are simply not moving (I speak souly from the USA here). As such, the trend in the past has seen cars start to climb back up the ladder once they hit the bottom point. S4s have actually gone up a tad in value/sale price in the most recent past. Same with the earluer cars. Now, that said, the bottom of the V8 scale is higher than say the S3 as the starting point was so much higher. I have no worries. The G cars and early S cars are holding within a range at the moment and only the need or belief that some owners have to sell is lowering the bottom line of value. but like I said, they are not selling. Ferrari, Porsche, and Maser is not selling either. I know of 2 Ferrari's (a Mondial and a 308GTS) that were pulled from the sales listing as the owners did not really want to sell them. when they could not, they decided (correctly) that selling the cars would not really better the financial situation... and they would sooooo miss the cars. The real danger for car values is when owners let them go for stupid money. I was keeping an eye on a Countach not long ago that the owner parted with for $17K below the initial asking price - tkat was fair! $89K with 37ishK miles. So, IMO, this guy hurt everyone by selling at $72...

But mostly I agree tha I have my car becuase I love it. It was not a true investment. But at the same time, that guy with a Vette... well... he has a vette at the end of the day. I have a hand built rare exotic car that clocks in pretty good MPG on the hwy!

Cameron

"If you feel that you are in total control of the car, well, your just not driving fast enough". Jimmy Clark

I really don't think one can worry about depreciation, and the satisfaction I get from driving an Esprit is cheaper than therapy!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

I think a good GT3 will hold up better in the long run as they are less common than the v8's. I am not saying they will be immune to falling prices more, that they will have a slower fall.

But, i think as time marches on the well looked after, good nick and driven esprit cars will do well. Early quality G cars seem to fetch nice prices, the S-cars will do the same.

I must point out that I am speaking from a UK and Europe point of view. America is a whole other ball game. But even there, sales of the good old US SUV are down 54% compared to the normal car market being down 20%.

To clarify, though older cars with V8's are less desirable it is the newer V8's from 2001, here in the UK, that attract more tax and are therefore being worse hit.

I do believe that despite some being newer, good GT3's and S4s's will be worth as much if not more than V8's eventually.

Until the governement change the stupid laws all over again.... :unsure:

But at the moment - just picture the scenario in 2010:

Two identical V8s, full service histories, well looked after, one is a 54,000miles Y-Reg (post march '01), and therefore taxed on the g/km system

EspritMiltonKeynes - ironically now lives in Edinburgh London (SE4)

Well i've spent TWENTY THOUSAND POUNDS just on

servicing and maintenance over the past ten years.

(got some fun from it though!).

:(

Over that whole time there has been the same romantic

talk about the great and distant day when Esprit raise in

value and command big prices.

Blah, Blah, Blah... and often the same folk!!!

:unsure:

In those ten years i''ve bought, ran, and sold Esprits

My S3 cost me

esprit prices are suffering considerably less than most as far as I can see.

. . . you can have a much newer 996 porsche for 10K onwards . . . 40K I'd stretch it a little and go for a 550 ferrari!!

Good point. The Esprit's aren't dropping much at all when you consider other cars at the moment.

The value of my Stevens hit rock bottom a while back and where as other cars will loose

Edited by Mark Blanchard

Hi Everyone.

Just registered with this forum this morning and have been reading this topic with interest. I am considering returning to Esprit ownership. I have owned a few over the years but my last one was the S4s. This is the one I think I want again. What would you say a fair price is for one in the UK now? I know mileage and condition etc are key but let's assume a 1996 with 45k miles on the clock.

Thanks

Stuart