Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Wings - Page 4 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Wings

The Darwin theory revisited.

The connection between kangaroos and wings.

250px-Australia_II_winged_keel.jpg

The winged keel of Australia 11 winner of the America's Cup yacht race.

4102_1436_boxing-kangaroo_m.gif

The Boxing Kangaroo that became the emblem of the campaign.

kangarootreehugger.gif

Anybody wanna argue this hypothesis?

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gold FFM

Wings...

Personally, I was never very much on their music... :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• 4 weeks later...

Garry and I were out at the shop today and decided to add... well... some pictures to annoy the wingless wonder!

DSCF1592.jpg

DSCF1599.jpg

Funnily enough.. when the wing is upside down on the front of the V8 (It's my 88 wing) it actually matches right up to the bolts meant to hold in the fog lights!

Modifying esprit's.. now that's fun..

PS... I AM NOT A CERTIFIED MECHANIC.. I Have chosen to help those in need, in the past and must not be construed as being a certified technician.

If the car is designed wisely it's a wing. Bloody hell, let it go.

Some serious fellows who may not share the same view as the wing skeptics.

mcraegrist1999telstraravi2.jpg

333spkyalqual03at4.jpg

phxgplotusjps77rp6.jpg

I can feel the stability I get from my replica WRC wing on my SVT Focus like the one on the McRae car above. It costs around 5 mph in top end. Big deal. I'll take the stability anyday.

Mel Gibson only acted the part

Lotus Factory visit 1979

See? I told you so. Just look at all those wings showing up in Medicine Hat! Roger's effort to corner the market is well under way. Anyday now we can expect the marketing blitz to begin:

Lotus Esprit Wings for sale!

Mint condition, "as new"

Aerodynamic enhancement for the downforce connoisseur

"Gripping" performance for the motorsport purist

Made in Australia by "Roger the Racing 'Roo" of Coffs Harbour

Numbered collector's series available for nominal surcharge

Send for free catalogue

Paypal accepted

(sorry, due to its remote location, shipping costs from the Medicine Hat central clearing warehouse require the posting of a nonrefundable $5,000.00 USD cashier's checque as bond)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

.... c'mon John, admit it.....

You're dying to come and check us out, aren't you? (I'd suggest waiting until July, though....)

Tell you what - if you and your missus ever want a Canadian summer vacation, and you're out this way - we'll take you on a spirited prairie drive, and then host dinner for you.

:ice:

Al, am I to take it that you have removed the wing from your new 2Eleven? If so, and if time permits, would you be so kind as to cart it over to Star Motors? My Europa was flatbeded to Houston last night by the Lotus mechanic (who commutes weekly from Austin to Houston for employment purposes while awaiting word on the opening of a new Lotus dealership here in Austin) who is in the [ongoing] process of purchasing [and restoring to running order after a long sit] said Europa. As the sale is not yet a "done deal" I would like to see about the feasibility of mounting it on the Europa, should I retain ownership of the car (and, if for no other reason, to drive Roger completely mad). :D:):ice:

Cheers,

John

John,

Sorry for the late reply, just did not have the chance to get back to the on-going "wing-ding" discussion.

To answer your question, No, that is one wing that will just have to stay put. Besides, where else can I place the coveted 2-Eleven forum sticker Mr. Bibs was gracious enough to mail me. No tacky replies please.

There is, however, another 2-11 sitting at the dealership which could have it's wing mysteriously disappear. Club meeting this Saturday, bring allen wrenches, I'll provide a diversion.

Al

Edited by abrussich

.... c'mon John, admit it.....

You're dying to come and check us out, aren't you? (I'd suggest waiting until July, though....)

Tell you what - if you and your missus ever want a Canadian summer vacation, and you're out this way - we'll take you on a spirited prairie drive, and then host dinner for you.

:)

Sooooo, this is how you lure all those unsuspecting Calypso Red Esprits to your dismantling operation! Well I'm not falling for it.

Tell you what, John, how about we agree to meet at a "neutral" site, say the Waterton Glacier International Peace Park's Prince of Wales Hotel tea room for an afternoon cuppa to discuss matters. I'll even spring for the tea. (Yup, "last of the big spenders" he was)

Seriously, that's a very kind offer. Summers in Canada are indeed glorious! Will pass this info on to the Little Lady. :D

John,

Sorry for the late reply, just did not have the chance to get back to the on-going "wing-ding" discussion.

To answer your question, No, that is one wing that will just have to stay put. Besides, where else can I place the coveted 2-Eleven forum sticker Mr. Bibs was gracious enough to mail me. No tacky replies please.

There is, however, another 2-11 sitting at the dealership which could have it's wing mysteriously disappear. Club meeting this Saturday, bring allen wrenches, I'll provide a diversion.

Al

Works for me, Al. I'm there, good buddy. Once the wing is installed on the Europa I'll have to figure out a cost effective way to drive out to Coffs Harbour for a visit with Roger to see how he likes it. :ice::D

I have friends in various parts of Canada. It would be nice to ride up there and visit. Let me know when you want to go and we can plan a trip. the missus won't object as it would mean a chance to visit her Aunt in Fort St. John.

Watch out for that aerobat guy, he does sound suspicious :smoke:

Been there, done that.

03076W.jpg

So John you will not be the first !*!*!* to put a wing on a Europa.

If memory serves me correctly the type 47, the not Renault engine Europa first raced at a Boxing Day meeting at Brands Hatch, 2 were entered a team entry for Jackie Oliver, and a private entry for John Miles. Oliver retired, and Miles won, causing much rejoicing on the part of one Colin Chapman.

Anyway that's how I remember it, from when I was too young to hold a driving licence!

Roger :smoke: yes I was there! (and it didn't have a wing)

Edited by Roger the Dodger

Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. (Tom Leahrer)

Round 67 to Mr. Harris! :smoke:

Guys i've been through every comment formula etc in this post and have come to a conclusion.

Why don't we ask a man who knows everything about the Esprit and its coefficient of drag wing or wingless....Ladies and gentlemen may I introduce or reintroduce you all to............wait for it.............

Teagan.......Bibs don't you dare ban me lol

Waynef

Edited by waynef

Or Teigan even!

He was a knob, enough said.

Wings are essential because not only do they make the car look great that make it go faster.....simply because it makes you feel like a racer.

I must admit, I prefer subtle wings like the S4, the massive V8 wings look a little OTT to me.

Like I have always said, if they designed it with it on, then it's meant to be there. So GT3 owners, you're fine.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website. https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/mens-cancer

• 8 months later...
  • Gold FFM

Just cruising through all sorts of posts and bumped into this thread again.

I have an S4. I have a wing. I like my wing. It is staying on. Plus it's where the third brake light is so it is a safety feature. Yep, that's what it is.

My question though is this and it is about a sport(?) I consider to be a downright waste of time. Drifting. :)

The whole idea of a drift car is to slide.

The whole idea of a wing is to create downforce.

The whole idea of downforce is to combat slide.

A drift car then with a large wing is a substitute for a driver with a small d#$k QED.

Really, what's the point? What's it all mean? :)

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

• Gold FFM

Dunno Bibs. Maybe the wing is actually set up to lift the car off the ground and thus make the car slide?

You could change the aerofoil shape to give you what ever characteristics you want.

Air scoops are different to wings btw.

The S300 is a wing, if you cut it in half like I have you can see the profile and it looks exactly like that of an aircraft.

Some cars have air scoops like buckets for creating down force which are just large deflectors - similar in appearance to an F1's rear wing.

You could adjust the aerofoil profile and the angle of attack to giv it what ever lift or down force you wished, certainly possible to create lift on the rear end like this.

facebook = jon.himself@hotmail.co.uk