Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Sport 350 engine - Page 2 - Engine/Ancilliaries - TLF - Totally Lotus Jump to content

IGNORED

Sport 350 engine

Daniel

A lot of the water could have got into the sump after you turned off the engine. The cooling system would have been pressurized and, if, say, the liner seal had gone, it would have pumped water into the sump quite happily.

Good luck.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so it's looking more and more like a liner.

one thing I've just noticed is that the turbo on the damaged bank will spin only about 5mm in each direction before clinking to a stop against something metal......could explain the tinny rattle I heard before it went bang?

Hi Dan,

Oh my.... the injector clip must have come as something of a surprise? :(

If the turbo is not able to move freely, then I imagine that you have some liner/piston related material that is fouling the turbine. Could be a chunk of something or a piece of ring... only one way to find out - get the head off and embrace the full horror.

Let

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

So.....the damage:

Basically a piston fragmenting and dropping down into the crank leaving the con rod and gudgeon to do all sorts of damage:

PICT0009-3.jpg

PICT0010-1.jpg

but not before giving the head and valves a bit of a shoeing:

PICT0015.jpg

hoping that the dents in the head will polish out, what do you think?.......

So it's new pistons and liners, new valves, repaired and ported head.

Now to see what damage has been done down below..........

WOW, an entire piston missing :)

The injector clip must have made you giggle a little! Not sure about the head just polishing out, it looks quite bad in the pics, but there may be something that can be done.

Fingers crossed!

Can't wait to see the photos of the sump off!!!

Chunky Lover

Oh dear... that is an awful mess.

I would be getting that cylinder head thoroughly examined to confirm that it is useable.

With that level of destruction, you can expect some damage below - the piston jet is almost certainly toast. Let

Edited by mike_sekinger

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

So, sump off to assess the bottom end damage, disintegrated piston in the sump, but the crank looks OK:

PICT0009-4.jpg

Then .......oh ohhhhhhh, colossal hole in the block inner lining:

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0013-2.jpg

Oil way should look like this:

PICT0011-2.jpg

So..........here endeth the rebuild I guess...........gutted is not the word.

Argh..... messy.

Don

Indeed, Mike's right.

It's surprising - amazing even - just what can be repaired. Welding, then machining can work wonders. Finding a good welder can be problematic but they are around.

A possible downside of welding is adverse interference with hardening of castings. However, a good welder should know about this and perhaps more importantly, how to avoid softening.

So, your block and head are still in with a chance.

On reflection it's maybe not that bad......I guess a decent welder could cut a section out and weld a piece in.

One more thing to add to the list.....find a decent welder.

Mike.....looks like I'm getting closer to knowing the contents of my 'shopping list'.

Deepest sympathies, Daniel, and good luck with the next stage. Have a good check of the oil pump. I had a cam follower disintegrate in my Mk 1 Scirocco and the bits ruined the oil pump too.

Since the turbo is still partially turning, hopefully no bits have been pumped in the oil lines to that causing it to seize.

Looking forward to your next installment, hopefully with some better news.

bugger, not seen that kind of damage for ages, well not since i borrowed my girlfriend's (girl friend at the time) brother-in-law my 1967 sunbeam alpine he blew a hole in the sump large enough to put your hand in. i was well pissed off as the car had only been restored and on the road for a few weeks (at least they now have rev limiters). still sold it and went to tennerief for a couple of weeks. good luck with the rebuild, looks knackered to me, but i hope you can get it repaired.

It's Oogies turn to boogie

Hey Dan,

Not suprised your gutted but as Mike said dont give up yet having been in fabrication and welding I would suggest you look up metal stitchers. Ok they are more for cracked castings etc but they could probably let in a patch and stitch it which locks it to the parent metal more effectively than just butt welding giving a stronger repair with less distortion.

GOOD LUCK !

• 1 month later...

Well

I sold my beloved Range Rover today to raise funds as I've been offered an engine from the Factory.

I'll be arranging delivery on Monday.

My thanks go to Bibs for putting me in touch with Lotus in the first place and also to Brian Angus at the factory for all his help diagnosing the failure.

Sad to see the back of the Rangey, but when I think about having the 350 back on the road I'm like "Range Rover?......what Range Rover?"

Daniel,

Glad to see you have finally found light at the end of the tunnel for getting your 350 back on the road,

Sorry to see the engine could not be saved, and nice to see bibs helped you out, well done that man!

Hope you get her back on the road soon

regards danny

A